• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    Jesus H. Christ. What in the hell just happened here? I mean, an all out verbal brawl and I'm not part of it? I'm insulted! wink

Verbal brawl? All I see is D throwing punches at the air.

Seriously, OK, I sometimes get a bit too defensive over the Hobbit scores. But I'm sure everyone here has scores that they feel aren't given enough credit, and which they would eagerly defend if someone else were to belittle. I was under the impression that that's what forums such as these are about - discussion and debate. I may have said that people don't give the Hobbit scores enough credit, but I have never said that people not liking the Hobbit scores is wrong or stupid (even though it's frustrating to me, personally, not to see support for scores which I love and wish there were more like). I'd certainly never claim what you're suggesting, that I think I have a higher intellect or something for liking them - that's beyond ridiculous. There are plenty of things that I myself feel wrong and stupid for not liking as much as most others seem to.

If I sucked the fun out of anything for anyone, I am sorry. That was never my intent. As for overreacting and getting insulted by small things - if it's seemed that way, again, I'm sorry. And D...perhaps you should take your own advice on that latter point.
  2. Southall wrote
    How to Train Your Dragon 2 - John Powell

This is in my opinion very good indeed. 2014 has been (in my opinion) a good year for my kind of film music. The best year (in my opinion) for my kind of film music in a long time. I'm trying to rank my favourite scores for IFMCA voting purposes and the fact that this one - which is absolutely brilliant - will only just break into the top five shows just how good (in my opinion) the year has been.

That score is riding at the top of my list by a pretty comfortable margin, but otherwise I agree with you. 2014 has been a very good year - I've heard only about half as many scores as I did in 2013, but my "highlights playlist" for both years is about the same length, which I think says a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    There are plenty of things that I myself feel wrong and stupid for not liking as much as most others seem to.

That's a weird thing to say.
  3. Well, when the majority consensus around a score is very positive and I find myself indifferent to it, I always have to wonder what it is I'm not getting. Inception is such a score. I'm normally a Zimmer fan, but outside of a couple cues and an interesting, but not all that engaging soundscape, that one doesn't do a whole lot for me. But it gets accolades from tons of people who are ordinarily not what you'd call Zimmer fans at all. And I'm wondering what it is I'm "missing". Honestly, the entire Desplat phenomenon runs along similar lines for me. Everyone seems to hear a bit more in his music than I do (or perhaps "feel", not "hear", is the right word).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2014 edited
    I can generally understand why something gets high praise even when I don't enjoy it. If I can't, I just assume I'm right, everyone else is weird, and move on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2014
    Steven wrote
    I can generally understand why something gets high praise even when I don't enjoy it. If I can't, I just assume I'm right, everyone else is weird, and move on.

That's my life motto right there.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. D, don't be that guy on Youtube crying about leaving Brittany Spears alone. tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    How 2 Train Your Dragon John Powell

One of the year's very best.

Actual, certified FACT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Agreed. It came in on my 4th place this year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 (Hans Zimmer)

Also one of the year's best, in fact clocking in just a couple of spots after HTTYD2.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ If I was doing a Top 20 list this would be in it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Steven wrote
    How 2 Train Your Dragon John Powell

One of the year's very best.

Actual, certified FACT.

yeah

Also, thank the stars they didn't actually go with that as the sequel title. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2014
    Rambo 2 Jerry Goldsmith

"Well, what can I say about Rambo?

...it paid for my house." - Jerry

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And besides that it's a pretty damn fine score to boot!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I was sort of lying. I'm actually playing Jerry Goldsmith's LSO Summer Pops Film Night Live. (Someone recently uploaded it, so naturally I nabbed it.)

Goldsmith was genuinely funny! This is brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    I was sort of lying. I'm actually playing Jerry Goldsmith's LSO Summer Pops Film Night Live. (Someone recently uploaded it, so naturally I nabbed it.)

Goldsmith was genuinely funny! This is brilliant.

It's a great concert isn't it! And not a too bad recording either!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Days of Thunder Hans Zimmer

The phrase 'guilty pleasure' truly was invented for this score. It's so silly... but it's fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Rush Hans U2 Zimmer

Now this is just fun. One of Zimmer's best. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Days of Thunder Hans Zimmer

The phrase 'guilty pleasure' truly was invented for this score. It's so silly... but it's fun.

There is good cheesy and there is the other kind.

Unfortunately this is mostly the other kind.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Rush Hans U2 Zimmer

This is good though. I liked the film too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Steven wrote
    Rush Hans U2 Zimmer

punk
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Didn't care much for RUSH, to be honest, but DAYS OF THUNDER is one of my alltime Zimmer favourites!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Rush Hans U2 Zimmer

One of my Ron Howard favourites, alongside with Apollo 13 and Frost/Nixon.

Some people may be shocked that A Beatiful Mind is not on the list, but that film is a bit too heavy-handed for me. The ending (including Horner's music) ruined the whole thing for me.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Rush Hans U2 Zimmer

Some people may be shocked that A Beatiful Mind is not on the list, but that film is a bit too heavy-handed for me. The ending (including Horner's music) ruined the whole thing for me.

NP: A Beautiful Mind Closing Credits - James Horner

shocked confused

High pitched voice, drawling, British pronouciation: "Shocking."
  9. NP: The New World (2005) - James Horner

Out. Of. This. World!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Rush Hans U2 Zimmer

A BEAUTIFUL MIND is second only to APOLLO 13 in my favourite score from a Ron Howard movie though I haven't seen A Beautiful Mind so can't comment on its quality within the picture.
  10. Captain Future wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Rush Hans U2 Zimmer

shocked confused

Well, what's incredible on album can sometimes be distracting or inappropriate in film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2014 edited
    NP: The Hunger Games Part 3 of 4: Mockingjay Part 1 of 2 - some guy

There will be a pretty solid 1 hour album by the time this series is over. "The Arsenal" is reminiscent of the sorely missed Shyamalan sound.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  11. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Rush Hans U2 Zimmer

shocked confused

Well, what's incredible on album can sometimes be distracting or inappropriate in film.

That's true. I saw the film same years ago. I can't really remember.
  12. Scribe wrote
    There will be a pretty solid 1 hour album by the time this series is over.

Yep, exactly. Same with Game of Thrones. Individual standout moments among albums that are largely bores, both series.

It's a shame, really. The source material for both deserves so much more.