• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Maize Runner John Paesano

There's some entertaining stuff here.

It would be more entertaining if it were only the third score written in this style, rather than the three hundred and ninety-first.

What "style" is that? Presuming it's RC you're talking about, I don't even hear all that much of it in Maze Runner outside of the odd ostinato (which is an extremely common musical device that was around long before RC).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2014
    I hear noise... confused
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Try slapping your speakers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote

It would be more entertaining if it were only the third score written in this style, rather than the three hundred and ninety-first.

What "style" is that? Presuming it's RC you're talking about, I don't even hear all that much of it in Maze Runner outside of the odd ostinato (which is an extremely common musical device that was around long before RC).

I honestly don't know if I have a different album from the one people are making these comments about. It's old-school, pre-RC style music to my ears, nothing groundbreaking or particularly special but pretty entertaining and with some very impressive orchestral technique.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote

I'm mainly talking about the constant ostinato, and no, scores were not written that before RC. Ostinatos were not used like that before RC. They just weren't.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote
    I hear noise... confused

Indeed.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BACKDRAFT - Hans Zimmer

Very good. One of Hans best score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Your place? the pub? Mogadishu?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That's the question on everyone's lips.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll not sleep easy tonight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PUSS IN BOOTS (Henry Jackman)

Jackman's best score, even though the album is about 20 minutes too long.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2014
    NP: SUN - SOUL OF THE ULTIMATE NATION (Howard Shore)

Everyone was raving about this a couple of years ago. Sure, it's big and bold and with some 'licks' from the LOTR films, but for the most part it's anything but. It doesn't seem to have the melodic profile or the structure of the Tolkien masterpiece. Maybe because it's a computer game, I don't know, but there's something lacking a bit here.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's on Spotify so I'll give it a listen. I remember it created some fuss too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

Everyone was raving about this a couple of years ago. Sure, it's big and bold and with some 'licks' from the LOTR films, but for the most part it's anything but. It doesn't seem to have the melodic profile or the structure of the Tolkien masterpiece. Maybe because it's a computer game, I don't know, but there's something lacking a bit here.

This one bored me to tears!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Well, I'm a BIT more enthusiastic than that, but yeah -- definitely NOT in LOTR league, which everyone seemed to think at the time.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TROY - Gabriel Yared

Proper!
  3. Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Well, I'm a BIT more enthusiastic than that, but yeah -- definitely NOT in LOTR league, which everyone seemed to think at the time.

The last three weekends I rewatched the expanded cuts of LOTR after not having seen those films in quite a while. I was amazed just how great Shore's music works in context. It's a big, big part of the overall experiance.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. NP: Thor: The Dark World (2013) Brian Tyler

I spend the day in the 200 km away city of Mainz. Four hours of driving and hours of strolling have made me tired enough to enjoy this rather easy listening guilty pleasure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2014 edited
    Lots of good listening today.

Started off with my personal Wojciech Kilar compilation. While his concert work Exodus is phenomenal, Owara is my personal favourite. I'll be playing this playlist on an up coming program.

I then moved onto a Frederic Talgorn playlist. Heavy Metal 2000 is still, IMO, one of the very best sci-fi scores of all time!

I then moved onto a small video game playlist... one that I will be playing on my show soon. Great stuff ranging from Final Fantasy VII to Guild Wars: Eye of the North.

I'm now listening to a bit of nostalgia; Silva Screen Records Alien Invasion: Space and Beyond Vol 2. This was one of the earliest film music compilation that I owned. I played it to death on my radio show back in the day. It's still one of my all time favourite compilations. It introduced me to so many great scores including the world premiere recording of James Horner's Battle Beyond The Stars. main theme. Overall, the album has some creative selections and surprisingly strong performances by the City of Prague Philharmonic.

Film music bliss!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2014
    Fury - Steven Price

Ah, it's Gravity 2. I like it a lot. Demetris will hate it a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Fury - Steven Price

Ah, it's Gravity 2.

Ooooooh fuuuuuuuuuuuck! suicide

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    GRAVITY 2? Count me in!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Lots of good listening today.

(...)

I'm now listening to a bit of nostalgia; Silva Screen Records Alien Invasion: Space and Beyond Vol 2. This was one of the earliest film music compilation that I owned. I played it to death on my radio show back in the day. It's still one of my all time favourite compilations. It introduced me to so many great scores including the world premiere recording of James Horner's Battle Beyond The Stars. main theme. Overall, the album has some creative selections and surprisingly strong performances by the City of Prague Philharmonic.

Film music bliss!

-Erik-

I love both Space & Beyond volumes, 1&2. No 3 I have not.
    There is nothing surprinsing about the performance of the CPP. It is just that what you say about 90's CPP is wrong and what James Fitzpatrick says is right. The problem with some of the older CPP recordings is not so much lacking quality of the musicians but the crappy recording and production. (And probably also lousy conducting, which limits the overall performance.) That is especially true for recordings released by the German Edel label in the early 90s. They sound amateurish.

Volker
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Fury - Steven Price

Ah, it's Gravity 2.

-Erik-

I didn't dislike Gravity on album and it was certainly quite effective in film, but I'm at a complete loss as to how people (producers, directors, composer...whoever) think that kind of score will also work in a war movie (no matter how gritty). I hope Price doesn't turn into a one-trick pony.

But ah, of course, it won an Oscar, so it must be copied.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: PUSS IN BOOTS (Henry Jackman)

Jackman's best score, even though the album is about 20 minutes too long.
    Love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Fury - Steven Price

Ah, it's Gravity 2.

-Erik-

I didn't dislike Gravity on album and it was certainly quite effective in film, but I'm at a complete loss as to how people (producers, directors, composer...whoever) think that kind of score will also work in a war movie (no matter how gritty). I hope Price doesn't turn into a one-trick pony.

But ah, of course, it won an Oscar, so it must be copied.

It's the sound of today, a.k.a glorified snoozefest. Gravity was a mediocre film with an overexposed score (who talks about this stuff anymore? who re-visits and listens to this stuff? apart the ending cue which did loose a bit of its value when i saw the ridiculously cheesy film ending scene it accompanied).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Once again, Demetris and I are on opposite poles. GRAVITY was -- by far -- the best film of last year, and the score among the Top 3. Especially in the film, but it has grown on me considerably on album too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Loved it. Would prefer this type of Shore scoring or his amazingly grand and complex THE CELL than the autopilotish scores which lack any passion whatsoever (or sometimes: skill at all (maps to the star) he composes these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Once again, Demetris and I are on opposite poles. GRAVITY was -- by far -- the best film of last year, and the score among the Top 3. Especially in the film, but it has grown on me considerably on album too.

Ok this makes 2 people. Thor and Southall (what's happened to Southall btw? he used to have such a good taste beer wink kiss moon)