• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2015
    Thor wrote
    NP: EVENT HORIZON (Michael Kamen & Orbital)

Generally too many typical horror licks to suit my fancy (stingers etc.), but I don't know....there's just something about it, especially when it hits a groove. Of course, the film is bloody fantastic!

Too many horror "licks" in a horror film. What do you know?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2015
    Nah, it annoys me too.
    If a creepy film and/or score have to rely on the "jumping-out-of-the-shadows-shouting-BOO!" effect too much, it's not scary. It's just irritating!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2015 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: EVENT HORIZON (Michael Kamen & Orbital)

Generally too many typical horror licks to suit my fancy (stingers etc.), but I don't know....there's just something about it, especially when it hits a groove. Of course, the film is bloody fantastic!

Too many horror "licks" in a horror film. What do you know?

-Erik-

I know. Which is why I rarely listen to horror scores. Even if they're perfect in their films, they're rarely good listening experiences. But sometimes, it happens, and this is one (more or less).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2015 edited
    Pffffffffft!

NP: Mr. Peabody and Sherman - Danny Elfman

Goddammit! I forgot this was a 2014 score. Probably should have made my top 15 of 2014 list. Shit! It's really friggin' good!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2015
    NP: Paper Planes - Nigel Westlake

Spectacular! Love the nods to classic British war films!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Needs more ostinato though.

biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Paper Planes - Nigel Westlake

Spectacular! Love the nods to classic British war films!

-Erik-

I love The Dogfight track! But then I love every note of this score. So glad people here are experiencing it!

When I'm not thrashing Paper Planes I'm playing Safan's The Last Starfighter.
    Wonderful score very dear to me for three decades now!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Pffffffffft!

Goddammit! I forgot this was a 2014 score. Probably should have made my top 15 of 2014 list. Shit! It's really friggin' good!

-Erik-

Really? I found it pretty forgettable, like most of Elfman's large-scale work recently.
  2. NP: The Last Starfighter (1984) - Craig Safan
    2015 Intrada edition.

So far i only knew the Southern Cross release, which I am going to keep btw.

Great album this new one. Great sound and music.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Harry Potter 1 - Williams

I listen to this rarely. I doubt that situation will change. For whatever reason it just doesn't click with me the way so many of his things do.
  3. I admit it's long since I last listened to that score in its entirety. Yet I love the Tchaikovsky flavour it has. I'm reminded - as many others are - of the Swan Sea andante when I listen to "Hedwing's Theme". Maby it's just the celesta. I got to revisit that score.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2015
    Funnily enough I watched the film the other night for some weird reason. The whole thing is clumsy and the CGI has dated badly in 13 years. The music is fairly uninteresting other than the main themes, though the chess game cue is great if weirdly incongruent in that scene it seemed to me.

Gosford Park - Patrick Doyle

Been ploughing through a lot of Doyle's back catalogue and this stands up superbly as a masterful work with its very classy, dexterous mix of styles. Especially love the opening piece 'Mr. Parks' and 'The Shirt' amongst many others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    David OC wrote
    Funnily enough I watched the film the other night for some weird reason. The whole thing is clumsy and the CGI has dated badly in 13 years.

The CGI was never good to begin with.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Pffffffffft!

-Erik-

Really? I found it pretty forgettable, like most of Elfman's large-scale work recently.

I love it! Love the main theme. The open cue is spendid! I really enjoyed the movie as well. More so than I should have. The score has lots of colour, it's loads of fun. The most fun I've had with an Elfman score in a while!

NP: Planes: Fire and Rescue - Mark Mancina

Another one I missed! FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU! angry This score is dy-no-mite!

-Erik-
  4. I just finished my second play through Thomas Bergersen's album SUN. (I guess this is technically the wrong thread to mention that, but I'm about to talk about some film music, too!) "Two Hearts" is a huge guilty pleasure for me. That synth drum beat escaped write out of a bad 80s film, but the rest of that track is so great!

NP - NO GOD, NO MASTER - Nuno Malo

This is, without a doubt, one of the finest scores of last year. It's just very good.
  5. christopher wrote
    I just finished my second play through Thomas Bergersen's album SUN. (I guess this is technically the wrong thread to mention that, but I'm about to talk about some film music, too!) "Two Hearts" is a huge guilty pleasure for me. That synth drum beat escaped write out of a bad 80s film, but the rest of that track is so great!

A lot of Bergersen's synths dance precariously on the knife-edge of cheesy, but most of the time I think he pulls it off. That cue's an example. Also an example of a time when the four chords don't bother me at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2015 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    David OC wrote
    Funnily enough I watched the film the other night for some weird reason. The whole thing is clumsy and the CGI has dated badly in 13 years.

The CGI was never good to begin with.

-Erik-

On Blu-ray the Quidditch scene and its postlude are Jumanji-level bad. I laughed so hard.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DEN HENGTE MANNEN (Mark Rayen Candasamy)

Old school thriller score, the kind you don't often hear these days, with our friend Mark making the most out of a small ensemble.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    JFK - John Williams

World class film music, this. Exceptional.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Born on the Fourth of July - John Williams

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer given some moments ago.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2015
    Southall wrote

If I were playing NIXON right now I'd say you were trumped.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Jupiter Ascending - Michael Giacchino

Glorious stuff that will no doubt transcend the film for which it was written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Listening to it now. May be Giacchino's magnum opus!
  6. Ripping it now. So spyched fo this score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Objection!

July beats Nixon.

I rest my case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Both JFK and JULY come up short when compared to a track like "Meeting with Mao", but as whole I would say both are more enjoyable.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Journey 2 Andrew Lockington

One of my favourite scores.
  7. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Objection!

July beats Nixon.

I rest my case.

I rest myself. sleep
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Both JFK and JULY come up short when compared to a track like "Meeting with Mao", but as whole I would say both are more enjoyable.

It seems a bit silly to quibble over three great scores. NIXON shades it IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I suppose it's slightly analogous to The Judean People's Front vs The People's Front of Judea.