• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2015
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Both JFK and JULY come up short when compared to a track like "Meeting with Mao", but as whole I would say both are more enjoyable.

It seems a bit silly to quibble over three great scores. NIXON shades it IMO.

Indeed. And JOHN GOLDFARB PLEASE COME HOME outshines all of them combined.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2015
    Your Hipsterness knows no bounds.
  1. NP: Jupiter Ascending (2015) - Michael Giacchino

Rousing, thematic orchestral and "choiral" scoring. Great fun!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. I'm excited to hear that one when it becomes available in the U.S.

NP - THE LEFTOVERS - Max Richter

This is so good! I like it more the more I hear it. It's certainly my favorite Richter score, and one of the best of 2014, imo.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2015
    Billy Bathgate - Mark Isham

One of his finest - and probably most undervalued - scores. Love the theme. Plenty of short cues besides but each one adds something to the mix.
  3. christopher wrote
    I'm excited to hear that one when it becomes available in the U.S.

This is so good! I like it more the more I hear it. It's certainly my favorite Richter score, and one of the best of 2014, imo.

Has some great material but I'm baffled as to how even such a short album can be so repetitive...
  4. NP: Kyaputen Fyūchā / Captain Future (1978) Yuji Ohno
    Columbia / Japan

This is not so unlike the score Christian Bruhn wrote for the German version. More blues than pop though, a great combination of blues orchestration plus synth.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    I'm excited to hear that one when it becomes available in the U.S.

Totally agree with everything you said.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2015 edited
    Jupiter Ascending - Michael Giacchino

Some of Giacchino's best action writing is here. Very exciting stuff. There's way too much music here (even more so than most of this composer's releases) but I can prune it down.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : IVANHOE - Miklos Rozsa

Truly fantastic!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. NP: Jupiter Ascending (2015) - Michael Giacchino

I understand this score was recorded in two different places: Abbey Road Studios London, and Newman Scoring Stage, Los Angeles. It's an easy guess where the London Voices and The Hollywood Symphony was recorded respectively.
    What puzzles me is that the booklet credits two studio orchestras. Looks like some of the orchetral recordings were also done in London. May be last minute additional cues?
    However it's a great recording / production. It sounds like I was sitting in the studio.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    From my understanding the symphony was recorded in London, while the score proper was recorded in Los Angeles.

Fantastic score, by the way. There are 3-4 cues in the middle of the album (and a few scattered about) that just suck the energy out of the score but it's probably one of the best FILM scores Giacchino has written.

Joel Iwataki has been the best thing that has happened to Michael since he began writing music for TV and Film. However, I would have loved a bit more stereo seperation in the mix. In saying that, at least it doesn't sound like a Dan Wallin recording. vomit

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. How does it compare to John Carter, Erik - both stylistically and in terms of quality?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'd say John Carter and Jupiter are on equal grounds. Lots of melody. Dynamic and colourful action music. Hardly a LOST influence in sight. wink Both are big fun!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Yes, big fun! I agree there are some ambient cues that I could have done without. Other than that: Highly entertaining thematic film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    From my understanding the symphony was recorded in London, while the score proper was recorded in Los Angeles.

I've missed any discussion there may have been about that - what's the story with the "symphony"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    There were two rounds of sessions in London - June 2013 (conducted by Ludwig Wicki) and March 2014 (conducted by Robert Ziegler). Pickup sessions were in LA (conducted by Tim Simonec). The album features chunks of all three.

I'm assuming that the term 'symphony' is being used to refer to the first four tracks, but they're not the only London material on the album and not the only tracks that are 'suites' (i.e. music not written to picture).
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    I'd say John Carter and Jupiter are on equal grounds. Lots of melody. Dynamic and colourful action music. Hardly a LOST influence in sight. wink Both are big fun!

Sweet! Sounds yummy. Can't wait to hear it! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE DANGEROUS LIVES OF ALTAR BOYS (Marco Beltrami & Josh Homme)

Great score -- love both the rock-influenced tracks as well as the symphonic stuff (I assume Homme did the former and Beltrami the latter). Haven't played this in a LONG while.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2015 edited
    NP: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Howard Shore.

It does just drag on and on, doesn't it? It's all competent enough, it's all theoretically entertaining enough, but it's so monochromatic and there's only a few moments of the transcendent beauty that the original trilogy was full of.

By the way, if you're interested in such things, there's a finely remastered version of all 3 Hobbit scores over at that video game temple...authored by a user named SonicAdventure who is a veritable genius at extracting more life and sparkle and power out of mediocre recordings. Obviously I am not advocating the downloading of any music one does not already own, but personally I don't see any problem with people who already own an album sharing remasterings of it among themselves. Nevertheless if this paragraph is unwanted feel free to remove it or tell me to do so, it's okay with me, just thought I'd put it out there because the original recording sucks ass and this version is significantly better.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2015
    Scribe wrote
    SonicAdventure who is a veritable genius at extracting more life and sparkle and power out of mediocre recordings.

No he isn't. He's a decent enough editor -even if many of his album edits suffer from being too long- but he's mostly full of shit. And people clamor for it. You can get the same effect by changing the EQ.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    No he isn't. He's a decent enough editor -even if many of his album edits suffer from being too long- but he's mostly full of shit. And people clamor for it. You can get the same effect by changing the EQ.

Knowing how to change the EQ of each and every score to suit it to my exact ears and taste is not a skill I can even dream of possessing, nor would I ever have time for. It's not like you can just pick perfect EQ settings and leave them on for every score. What works for one will be utter crap for another. But with Sonic's work I can enjoy a better listening experience without having to worry about any of that. I don't understand the "full of shit" comment. We are members of the same private soundtrack discussion forum and I have spoken with him at length after listening to one of his edits and discovering to my delight that his edits are perfectly tuned to my particular ears and taste in EQ. He seems to quite know what he's doing. But I can understand that if you're already an expert on such things it wouldn't seem so special.
  9. Scribe wrote

It does just drag on and on, doesn't it? It's all competent enough, it's all theoretically entertaining enough, but it's so monochromatic and there's only a few moments of the transcendent beauty that the original trilogy was full of.

What happened to you, man? You were one of the staunchest defenders back during the great Desolation of Smaug debates. cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote

Knowing how to change the EQ of each and every score to suit it to my exact ears and taste is not a skill I can even dream of possessing, nor would I ever have time for. It's not like you can just pick perfect EQ settings and leave them on for every score. What works for one will be utter crap for another. But with Sonic's work I can enjoy a better listening experience without having to worry about any of that. I don't understand the "full of shit" comment. We are members of the same private soundtrack discussion forum and I have spoken with him at length after listening to one of his edits and discovering to my delight that his edits are perfectly tuned to my particular ears and taste in EQ. He seems to quite know what he's doing. But I can understand that if you're already an expert on such things it wouldn't seem so special.

You can actually. Still, I wouldn't say I'm an expert, if that's what you were implying - though it's easy to recognise bullshit in this case (and there's even a helpful guide for this).

His descriptions inevitably land on how awful and dull the original sound is and how superior and incredible his are. I imagine the biggest reason people hear a difference is the reason most audiophiles think they hear a difference: placebo. (Which is not to say he doesn't make any change to the sound whatsoever, I'm sure with all that tinkering there must be some... but I can't imagine they're as significant as he makes them out to be. That's where he's full of shit.)

I enjoy quite a few of his albums I should add, it's just that his sales pitches should largely be ignored.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I understand what you're saying, but it's definitely not placebo in this case. I didn't even know what I was listening to the first time I heard one of his albums. It was simply a recording sessions I wanted to check out, but within 5 minutes I was all like "how the FUCK does this sound so much better than the original album?" After that I determined to figure out who he was and talk to him because obviously his tastes in what sounds good are very similar to mine. It doesn't have to be a huge change in the sound to be a hugely better listening experience.

Also, I wasn't saying its physically impossible to set an EQ for every individual track / album, just that it would be prohibitively time-consuming and unpleasant to try to figure out what's best for every single different album. Maybe if I spent years practicing and learning I would feel differently. Nice article though, I'ma read it now and probably feel like a chump afterwards for owning 7 different >$200 headphones shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Scribe wrote

What happened to you, man? You were one of the staunchest defenders back during the great Desolation of Smaug debates. cry

BotFA happened to me. I just don't like it very much*. Too much orc pounding and not enough soaring Tauriel/Kili love themes. I feel like its missing that melodic core that #1 had with the Misty Mountains theme and Smaug had even more impressively with The Forest River / Beyond The Forest. I still love Smaug as much as I ever did though.

*it's still my most played score since Interstellar though...
  10. BotFA ist still my favourite of the wonderful HOBBIT scores. smile

NP: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) - Michael Giacchino

I always liked this composer but I have turned into a big fan over the last two years.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    Also, I wasn't saying its physically impossible to set an EQ for every individual track / album, just that it would be prohibitively time-consuming and unpleasant to try to figure out what's best for every single different album. Maybe if I spent years practicing and learning I would feel differently. Nice article though, I'ma read it now and probably feel like a chump afterwards for owning 7 different >$200 headphones shame

Ah, I see. To be honest, I'm just not that interested in going to such lengths to find the "perfect" setting for each album. I find that most recordings suit me fine, which is why I find it so odd that Mr. Adventure seems to find something wrong in almost every score he customises.

I used to get sucked into the whole audiophile thing having spent a lot of money on audio equipment myself, it's very easy to be tempted by fancy-looking expensive equipment and bamboozled by seemingly convincing anecdotes ('burn in' time is one of the most convincing pieces of bullshit). But I think I just realised that, ironically, it all gets in the way of actually enjoying the music because one can worry too much about whether this setting is optimised for this track, or that amp is perfect for thoseheadphones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Ah, I see. To be honest, I'm just not that interested in going to such lengths to find the "perfect" setting for each album. I find that most recordings suit me fine, which is why I find it so odd that Mr. Adventure seems to find something wrong in almost every score he customises.

I'm jealous then. I find a lot of modern score recordings to be increasingly flawed in terms of being too muddy, over-normalized, and lacking punch and sparkle. I don't go looking for such flaws. I just become aware of them and sigh and think "this again?" But on the other hand there are sometimes pleasant surprises like the upward trend of quality in recent Tyler, Powell and Giacchino albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    (And I'm still not immune to it all. I still find myself pining for high-end reference headphones that cost more than £500-£1000 a piece, even though I know I won't really be able to tell the difference between them and a much less expensive pair. rolleyes )