• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Fury - Steven Price

Ah, it's Gravity 2. I like it a lot. Demetris will hate it a lot.

And tell me how this fits a war movie again?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    Once again, Demetris and I are on opposite poles. GRAVITY was -- by far -- the best film of last year, and the score among the Top 3. Especially in the film, but it has grown on me considerably on album too.

Ok this makes 2 people. Thor and Southall (what's happened to Southall btw? he used to have such a good taste beer wink kiss moon)

Sorry D, that makes 3 now! tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Fury - Steven Price

It's extremely claustrophobic, intense, visceral - the intention is to put you in the mind of the soldiers, experiencing an onslaught of pressure and tension. It's a similar approach to Black Hawk Down.
  1. And, indeed, Gravity. Claustrophobia, intensity...yeah, I guess it makes sense. Not the sort of approach that makes for an album I'll enjoy, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anybody who didn't like Gravity except for the last couple of tracks will most certainly not like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Fury - Steven Price

uhm

How does any score fit any film?
  2. I guess D is wondering why a score for a war movie would sound extremely similar to one for a space thriller. It's a fair enough question, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Anybody who didn't like Gravity except for the last couple of tracks will most certainly not like this.

Well that sounds like shit!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I guess D is wondering why a score for a war movie would sound extremely similar to one for a space thriller. It's a fair enough question, I think.

I suppose. But the implication is that it couldn't, and it might work very well. There's no rule that a war film, or perhaps more generally any period film should be scored with a symphonic orchestra, even if they tend to lend themselves to that approach.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Genre is completely irrelevant anyway.

What matters is how the music adds to the style or approach of the film.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Right - and I didn't say anything about orchestral vs. not-orchestral. The danger is of Price becoming a one-trick pony very fast, one who doesn't have anything to offer beyond a very specific style of heavily processed, manipulated music. He can't just slather that onto every film and expect it to work - but so far, that's all he has done.

Then again, I haven't heard this score, so I have no idea whose side I'm even arguing. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2014 edited
    After recently listening to the score of this year´s RoboCop, I must say this is the very first time where I thought that a dark RC-type, ostinato-driven action score was incredibly boring to me. I am used to love this style, but this one was immensely lacking originality. When the only highlight is a short jingle of Poledouris' original theme, you know something went really wrong here.

Hell, if I don´t like a score of this type, something is DAMN wrong here.

Yes, we all know Poledouris is a tough act to follow, but I´m inclined to say that Bates did a better job with the recent Conan remake than the guy who did this one.

The movie, however, was at least trying to do something good and relevant with the story, but had to fail, ultimately, because, let´s be honest, how do you beat Verhoeven if you are not Verhoeven?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's a lot of hate for Captain America 2: Electric Boogaloo, and deservedly so, but I think Robocop is worse. It's loathsome.
  4. I really like Winter Soldier. That´s how bad RoboCop is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Yes, we all know Poledouris is a tough act to follow, but I´m inclined to say that Bates did a better job with the recent Conan remake than the guy who did this one.

Oh, he definitely did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: KNIGHTS OF BADASSDOM (Bear McCreary)

The heavy metal meets Irish stuff is fun, but again McCreary presents an album that is too long. This had been really good had it clocked in at 40 minutes or so.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Southall wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Oh, he definitely did.

You don't still defend that Bates Conan score though, do you? Because it's really rather awful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Oh, he definitely did.

You don't still defend that Bates Conan score though, do you? Because it's really rather awful.

It's better than Robocop, that's all I'm saying. Most things are (except Winter Soldier).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I listened to WINTER SOLDIER last night, and it reconfirmed that I like this far better than anyone else, it seems.

I loved ROBOCOP (the film), but don't remember that much from the score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can reconfirm the new Robocop score is terrible, so you may like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Thor wrote
    I listened to WINTER SOLDIER last night, and it reconfirmed that I like this far better than anyone else, it seems.

I really like it, so we´re two.
  6. Demetris is with you guys as well, if I recall correctly. So that's three for the insane asylum so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The world has gone mad. One moment I'm disagreeing vehemently with Demetris, then I'm agreeing. Then it's the same with Steven. Then with Southall etc. etc.

There is no system anymore!

I think we need to talk about Poledouris' CONAN soon -- a score that everyone and their grandmother likes. Just to have some common ground.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't want to talk about that bag of shite with anyone.
  7. Thor wrote
    The world has gone mad. One moment I'm disagreeing vehemently with Demetris, then I'm agreeing. Then it's the same with Steven. Then with Southall etc. etc.

It's almost like we all have differing tastes or something. Freaky. freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

Did you know I can enjoy 2001: A Space Odyssey purely on its audiovisual merits, divorced from the central story.

Screw the system.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's a madhouse! A MADHOUSE!!!

For Odin!
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Penny Dreadful - Abel Korzeniowski

Pretty good in parts, but man if it doesn't sail exceptionally close to his Romeo and Juliet score from last year, especially "Street Horse Smell Candle" and "Welcome to the Grand Guignol". If James Horner or any of the RC guys pulled something this blatant, the cries of hackery would be deafening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Fury - Steven Price

It's extremely claustrophobic, intense, visceral - the intention is to put you in the mind of the soldiers, experiencing an onslaught of pressure and tension. It's a similar approach to Black Hawk Down.

BlackHawk Down was full of themes and varying pieces, not snoozy ambiance. And what was wrong with film score approaches to war films like War of the worlds or Saving private Ryan?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Penny Dreadful - Abel Korzeniowski

Pretty good in parts, but man if it doesn't sail exceptionally close to his Romeo and Juliet score from last year, especially "Street Horse Smell Candle" and "Welcome to the Grand Guignol". If James Horner or any of the RC guys pulled something this blatant, the cries of hackery would be deafening.

Penny Dreadful is significantly inferior (inspirational-wise) to his previous works, esp. Romeo and Juliet.