• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thor wrote
    I listened to WINTER SOLDIER last night, and it reconfirmed that I like this far better than anyone else, it seems.

I really like it, so we´re two.

Winter Soldier works fantastically well in the film, unlike the similarly-sounding but not functioning well at all in the movie Amazing Spiderman 2 everyone is celebrating.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Right - and I didn't say anything about orchestral vs. not-orchestral. The danger is of Price becoming a one-trick pony very fast, one who doesn't have anything to offer beyond a very specific style of heavily processed, manipulated music. He can't just slather that onto every film and expect it to work - but so far, that's all he has done.

Then again, I haven't heard this score, so I have no idea whose side I'm even arguing. dizzy

Ats! Edmund Meinerts my friend, exactly my point: maybe, just maybe Price is yet another overhyped dude who likes (or knows) how to score films in this way only and whatever they throw at him, he shuts eyes and mind off and goes to the keyboard to do what he does best anyway? Only time will tell though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. a gorgeous, underrated, exceptional score:

Mao's last dancer - Christopher Gordon - (2009)
  1. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Penny Dreadful - Abel Korzeniowski

Pretty good in parts, but man if it doesn't sail exceptionally close to his Romeo and Juliet score from last year, especially "Street Horse Smell Candle" and "Welcome to the Grand Guignol". If James Horner or any of the RC guys pulled something this blatant, the cries of hackery would be deafening.

Thanks for the intel, now I know what to listen to when I want more Penny stuff. Which I really do.
  2. Demetris wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thor wrote
    I listened to WINTER SOLDIER last night, and it reconfirmed that I like this far better than anyone else, it seems.

Winter Soldier works fantastically well in the film, unlike the similarly-sounding but not functioning well at all in the movie Amazing Spiderman 2 everyone is celebrating.

I really needed a lot of spins to warm up to ASM2, even after watching the movie. Eventually, I did, but it´s not my preferred cup of tea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Fury - Steven Price

Ah, it's Gravity 2. I like it a lot. Demetris will hate it a lot.

And tell me how this fits a war movie again?

It's extremely claustrophobic, intense, visceral - the intention is to put you in the mind of the soldiers, experiencing an onslaught of pressure and tension. It's a similar approach to Black Hawk Down.

BlackHawk Down was full of themes and varying pieces, not snoozy ambiance. And what was wrong with film score approaches to war films like War of the worlds or Saving private Ryan?

There's nothing wrong with that approach. And maybe there's nothing wrong with this one either. There are as many themes and varying pieces in Fury as in Black Hawk Down. Snoozy ambience? Seriously? If there's anyone here who I would think would be a champion of people trying something different, it's you, but you've got extremely strange in your old age!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014 edited
    Black Hawk Down's sound and structure is very different than anything remotely similar to Fury or Gravity, that's my point. A very unfortunate comparison. And different isn't always better. I don't care who does what (names of composers, i have no favorite persons, just favorite scores) unless it's good. Price's approach to film scores so far is in one word: lazy, imo. Maybe he proves me wrong with the time. Like Santaolalla's initial scores which fell in the same category for me but when with the time he matured, he became one of my favorite modern composers.

Still i fail to see in your point, what's so 'different' with Price. People like Cliff Martinez have been doing this for years, in meaningful and imaginative ways, better.
  3. Demetris wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thor wrote

Say whaaaaat?? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They do have a lot of similarities, those 2 scores, listen again smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2014 edited
    NP: The Edge + Solar Max - Nigel Westlake

Two very impressive scores for Imax films by Westlake.
    The Edge features beautiful choir work (think Walkabout meets A.I.) with haunting didgeridoo.
    Solar Max showcases great themes and musical patterns that impress me each time I play it.
  4. NP: Automata - Zacarías M. de la Riva

Mikael's MovieScore Media has just released this via digital outlets and I heartily recommend this unreservedly.

What a beautiful and haunting start to a score! And the beauty just continues. There's a hard edge mixed in with the solemn strings and the varied choral work. Melodic as well as rhythmic, it's one of those scores where you feel compelled to hunt out the movie to hear the wonderful music in context.

One of my top scores for 2014.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2014
    ^ This is outstanding, one of the year's bests.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like parts of it, but don't get the enthusiasm overall.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: OSTWIND - ZUSAMMEN SIND WIR FREI (Annette Focks)

Embarassing cover, but the music is great! Could easily have weeded out some 15-20 minutes, however, to make it even more fluid.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor,

What do you think of Elkony's "meditative" score for the iOS game Shadowmatic?

A clip from the soundtrack features in this gameplay teaser video and clips of the soundtrack are HERE.

The soundtrack as a whole is quite soothing in places.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The clips sounded intriguing, although I wish there was a BIT more development there, perhaps. But it's difficult to judge properly based on 30-second clips alone.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    The clips sounded intriguing, although I wish there was a BIT more development there, perhaps. But it's difficult to judge properly based on 30-second clips alone.

Here's a link to another teaser video that contains part of the tracks "Childhood".

http://www.shadowmatic.com/
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2014 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Automata - Zacarías M. de la Riva

Mikael's MovieScore Media has just released this via digital outlets and I heartily recommend this unreservedly.

What a beautiful and haunting start to a score! And the beauty just continues. There's a hard edge mixed in with the solemn strings and the varied choral work. Melodic as well as rhythmic, it's one of those scores where you feel compelled to hunt out the movie to hear the wonderful music in context.

And it's on Spotify. Giving it a listen right now...

NP : AUTOMATA - Zacarias M. de la Riva

smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. It has beautiful choral work - which I am particularly pleased about since Mikael and his wife - as part of the Johannebergs Vokalensemble - took part in recording these choral passages.

Great work Mikael, producer and performer! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Exceptional score, solemn, beautiful. Very impressed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain America: The First Avenger Alan Silvestri

An edit made by our very own Anthony. This is excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Now You See Me Brian Tyler

I forgot how good this one was. I have to say, this is up there with Turtles, Iron Man 3 and Fast Five. So much fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Now You See Me Brian Tyler

I forgot how good this one was. I have to say, this is up there with Turtles, Iron Man 3 and Fast Five. So much fun.

It's awesome. Even better than Turtles, but not Iron man 3 or Fast Five, imo. Still very good. Tyler's the man lately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He is. His music is finally becoming as stylish as he is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    True words my friend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Really? I guess I have that to look forward to, then. I still only have two Tyler albums in my collection -- STANDING UP and TRANSFORMERS PRIME. Both of those are great, but I've not been sold on anything else, and I've heard quite a bit (none of those being mentioned here, though).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Automata - Zacarías M. de la Riva

And it's on Spotify. Giving it a listen right now...

NP : AUTOMATA - Zacarias M. de la Riva

smile

A mostly positive listen for me. A bit of temp bleeding ( The Thin Red Line yet-a-bloody-gain rolleyes ) but it didn't bother me too much. I'll be giving another listen soon.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. I was just about to ask what you thought of it. I don't have the Zimmer references as I have never listened to much of that score - what I have heard I dislike.

Sounds as though you haven't had as strong an immediate reaction to this score as I did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Alan you disliked Automata?!?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Alan you disliked Automata?!?

Said the incredible I-pay-attention-me man. biggrin