• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015
    NP: Grand Budapest Hotel - Desplat

Joy! Excellent background music too. While doing... things. Like laundry.
  1. NP: Ice Age (2002) - David Newman

I saw the film years ago without - it seems - paying much attention to the music. When I revisited the film recently the score stood out like the Tour Eiffel. A lot of Mickey Mousing but that's in the nature of it. A real fun score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    NP: Grand Budapest Hotel - Desplat

Joy! Excellent background music too. While doing... things. Like laundry.

The theme is indeed higly infectious. And energising.
    I enjoy this score a lot!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. NP: Elektra (2004) - Christophe Beck / Promo

For the first time I ordered at colosseum.de due to a winter sell out they are doing there. One of the items I ordered was Space Hunters by Elmer Bernstein. Turns out that it's sold out despite still being offered on the site.
    Without asking back they replaced that Bernstein CD with the Beck one. Surprise, surprise! So that's a bit odd. I don't remember ever having noticed the very existence of that film. My first thought was "Eugene O'Neill". Well, no relation. The score seems a rather non-descript half electronic half orchestral romp. Interesting ...

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BACHELOR FLAT (John Williams)

cool
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: The War of the Vendée - Kevin Kaska

This is a beautiful orchestral score mixing sweeping string passages with bold brass outbursts, martial action scoring and semi-religious choir all contributing to giving an excellent soundtrack to what I believe is a particularly church-backed production (from 2012).

Some may recall my (failed) attempt to get an mp3 version of this score from CD Baby. After that I ended up ordering a CD directly from the film's producers. And it was well worth the perseverance.

Athough this video does not give much sense of the score as a whole, it does give a bit of a feel for the quality of Kaska's score (including some excellent solo string performances) - http://youtu.be/BPO6s6Yvpkk
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. NP: Seven Cities of Gold (1955) - Hugo Friedhofer

Pure Golden Age delight. Beautiful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The War of the Vendée - Kevin Kaska

Just listened to that YouTube clip you linked to: that is really quite good!
    I really liked Kaska's work on Lair, so I'm not surprised this turned out as well as it has.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BLACK SUNDAY (John Williams)

70s grit.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE BOOK THIEF (John Williams)

Run-of-the-mill Williams is still better than 90% of everything out there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2015
    Indeed it is!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Indeetitissimus!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Ice Age (2002) - David Newman

I saw the film years ago without - it seems - paying much attention to the music. When I revisited the film recently the score stood out like the Tour Eiffel. A lot of Mickey Mousing but that's in the nature of it. A real fun score.

Volker

Sensational score, one of the best animated scores ever I think. Would love to see an expanded release; the 30 minute CD only just begins to do it justice.

Eight Below - Mark Isham

A very strong work overall though it does tend to ebb and flow with great material rather than produce cues of sustained quality. Seems like ages since Isham wrote something as good or better than this.
  6. NP: Alexis Zorbas (1964) - Mikis Theodorakis

German Parliament just passed the latest €-agreement with Greece. bhangra <-- closest approximation

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2015 edited
    NP: CINDERELLA LIBERTY (John Williams)

This score gives me a smile on the face every time I hear it, especially when Johnny goes all Isaac Hayes in "New Shooter" and "Neptune's Bar", in particular. That's some funky shit right there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2015 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote

This is a beautiful orchestral score mixing sweeping string passages with bold brass outbursts, martial action scoring and semi-religious choir all contributing to giving an excellent soundtrack to what I believe is a particularly church-backed production (from 2012).

Some may recall my (failed) attempt to get an mp3 version of this score from CD Baby. After that I ended up ordering a CD directly from the film's producers. And it was well worth the perseverance.

Athough this video does not give much sense of the score as a whole, it does give a bit of a feel for the quality of Kaska's score (including some excellent solo string performances) - http://youtu.be/BPO6s6Yvpkk

Well, I just tried to do the same thing and got the same result. It's pretty shameful that they are still offering it for purchase when the download is for 30 second clips. We'll see what they have to say on Monday, assuming no one is in the office on the weekend. If I get the same runaround you got I am going to demand to speak with someone of intelligence. No one in their right mind would think the 30 second tracks are how the artist wanted the album released as opposed to the artist not understanding how the digital release process works and putting the wrong files in the wrong place. Music downloads are their business, they should know better.

On a brighter note, I was able to download the full lossless version of his Tone Poems album, which seems like its going to be absolutely bloody fantastic, the kind of thing I always wanted John Williams concert music to be.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2015
    Cinderella - Patrick Doyle

Well, nobody could accuse Doyle of exercising undue restraint.
  7. Scribe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Well, I just tried to do the same thing and got the same result. It's pretty shameful that they are still offering it for purchase when the download is for 30 second clips. We'll see what they have to say on Monday, assuming no one is in the office on the weekend. If I get the same runaround you got I am going to demand to speak with someone of intelligence. No one in their right mind would think the 30 second tracks are how the artist wanted the album released as opposed to the artist not understanding how the digital release process works and putting the wrong files in the wrong place. Music downloads are their business, they should know better.

On a brighter note, I was able to download the full lossless version of his Tone Poems album, which seems like its going to be absolutely bloody fantastic, the kind of thing I always wanted John Williams concert music to be.

You will have no satisfaction with getting the tracks. You need to ask for a refund.

Apparently CD Baby are unable to remove the offer of the download as a purchasing option - the artist themselves must do it. I tried contacting Kaska via Facebook and via his site but had no reply. And since the tracks have not been removed, even CD Baby's attempts to contact Kaska (or his representatives has proved useless.

CD Baby were fine about issuing a refund once it was clear that they could offer no solution.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Southall wrote

Restraint is overrated. punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2015
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote

Restraint is overrated. punk punk punk

Agreed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2015 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Apparently CD Baby are unable to remove the offer of the download as a purchasing option - the artist themselves must do it. I tried contacting Kaska via Facebook and via his site but had no reply. And since the tracks have not been removed, even CD Baby's attempts to contact Kaska (or his representatives has proved useless.

CD Baby were fine about issuing a refund once it was clear that they could offer no solution.

Do you mean to imply they are unable to physically grab a copy of the CD that they are selling and rip it to their own server? I don't buy that. It's more like they can't be bothered to do it because it's such a low-selling item. Failing that, it's nonsense to say they can't remove the download, or at least print a warning about the situation. It's the internet, these things are not hard to add to their own website. I don't want a refund, I want what I bought, and if they give me that run-around I will not be doing business with them again unless they are literally the only source of the music I want. (please note, I am not saying you are wrong, I am just saying their response is ridiculous, especially since they are still gleefully accepting money for a faulty product with no warning).

The creation of this well-produced, expensive-sounding, hugely orchestral music (not just this score but the tone poems and chamber music) only to subsequently escape the notice of the entire world for four years is one of the most bizarre things I've seen in film music in a long time. Especially if the composer has since disappeared from the industry. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2015
    bbay, baby, bayty
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    bbay, baby, bayty

Oh, sorry -- I forgot to remove the gag... wink
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. Thor wrote
    bbay, baby, bayty

Go home, Justin Bieber, you're drunk.
  11. Scribe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Do you mean to imply they are unable to physically grab a copy of the CD that they are selling and rip it to their own server? I don't buy that. It's more like they can't be bothered to do it because it's such a low-selling item. Failing that, it's nonsense to say they can't remove the download, or at least print a warning about the situation. It's the internet, these things are not hard to add to their own website. I don't want a refund, I want what I bought, and if they give me that run-around I will not be doing business with them again unless they are literally the only source of the music I want. (please note, I am not saying you are wrong, I am just saying their response is ridiculous, especially since they are still gleefully accepting money for a faulty product with no warning).

The creation of this well-produced, expensive-sounding, hugely orchestral music (not just this score but the tone poems and chamber music) only to subsequently escape the notice of the entire world for four years is one of the most bizarre things I've seen in film music in a long time. Especially if the composer has since disappeared from the industry. confused

There is a lot that the site seemed unwilling - or unable - to do to help with in this. At first they said that this was what the composer wanted to sell!

I did end up taking my business elsewhere and I ordered the CD directly from the film's production company website. I may contact them to say they are being badly served by CD Baby.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    That might be a wise move. For the sake of their future business, if they intend to release any new music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: JESSABELLE
    Another paranormal, horror, mixture of synthesizer score that just doesn't want to grab my attention. Composed by Anton Sanko.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The creepy vocals in the later tracks are interesting but that is the only remarkable thing about it and its not much. Not easy listening for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2015 edited
    Rio Bravo - Dimitri Tiomkin

Hmm. It's good (very good in places) but not as good as I'd hoped. Interest waning far before the end. And it's mono. Wish I'd noticed that before buying it.