• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Steven wrote
    'The Launch' James Horner

This is what film music is about.

Legends of the Fall is Horner's best score from the '90s.

Fixed!

-Erik-

Yeah, good job! beer
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Steven wrote

Braveheart is Horner's best score from the '90s.

Fixed!

-Erik-

That's a very close second. How he didn't win for either of those is a mystery. They're both better than Titanic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2015
    NP: A DARK REFLECTION

An above average thriller suspense score from MSM.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Steven wrote

Legends of the Fall is Horner's best score from the '90s.

Fixed!

-Erik-

Yeah, good job! beer

This is the chain of events with which I agree.
  3. NP: Le Dernier Loup / Wolf Totem (2015) - James Horner

The CD arrived from France today. This is every bit as beautiful as the good people here say it is.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Steven wrote

Balto is Steven's favourite Horner score from the '90s.

Fixed!

-Erik-

Yeah, good job! beer

This is the chain of events with which I agree.

Exactly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Balto is fantastic. Certainly his finest score beginning with a B.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Balto is fantastic. Certainly his finest score beginning with a B.

Over BRAINSTORM!!!? It ain't even close.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Broadchurch - Olafur Arnalds

Very good, if completely miserable. I guess you'd need to be a fan of a show to really like it. (But since I am, I can't say for sure. I have no empirical data.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've not seen the show (doesn't seem like my cup of tea), but I adore the music. Very Nordic and miserable, just the way I like it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2015 edited
    NP: States of Grace - Laura Karpman

Pleasant little drama score by a seriously under-rated and under-used composer. Karpman has a unique and interesting voice that I would love to hear more of. She's most known for Taken, not the Liam Neeson series but the 2003 Spielberg-produced mini-series about alien abductions starring Dakota Fanning. This new score is not dissimilar to the laid-back, homey parts of that previous work. It reminds me somewhat of Aaron Zigman's lovely low-calorie music. I would love to hear her break some new ground and score something in an unusual genre for her, but these days she seems to be limited to small projects with some religion or human rights connection. Which is cool, I'm glad she has a niche for herself, but she has enough talent that I'd love to see it put to the test, as it were.

I recently bought a whole batch of recent scores by female composers on iTunes (Karpman, Focks, Schachner, and the Greek Reboutsika whose existence I would not be aware of if not for Stavi and D smile ) and am slowly making my way through them. It's nice to explore outside Hollywood and find voices and styles I wouldn't otherwise hear.

WP: Tone Poems - Kevin Kaska
    Not a film score but I don't feel like posting again in the other thread, and it should be a film score, it sounds like a Williams concert suite. Well, halfway between Williams and Goldsmith. And to my untrained ears he is every bit as good as them on a technical level. If it's missing anything, it's a main theme to tie the thing together, but that's why they're called tone poems. They're meant to be standalone. And the individual tracks contain quite fantastic themes.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Southall wrote
    Braveheart is fantastic. Certainly his finest score beginning with a B.

Fixed it.
  5. Southall wrote
    Broadchurch - Olafur Arnalds

Very good, if completely miserable. I guess you'd need to be a fan of a show to really like it. (But since I am, I can't say for sure. I have no empirical data.)

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2015
    I agree. I thought the show is excellent (only having seen series 1...which seemed to be pretty rounded out! I have no idea how much sense a series could even make. I shudder to think.), and the music is utterly bleak.
    So no, I won't be getting this. I'll leave it to support the show.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Everly - Bear McCreary & son

A very odd combination of the (now well and truly overused) taiko and some Japanese-ish sounds and ...Christmas carols?
    It doesn't really come off. Not even as a quirky offbeat listen.
    A rare misfire from one of the finest composers (for TV) today.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Braveheart good, Apollo13 good, Legends of the Fall good. I agree, yes yes.

Braveheart will always be special because it was one of my first soundtracks and the bagpipes probably helped too.

The Launch is brilliant. You can hear the lift off from the surface of the earth in de the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    NP: Grand Budapest Hotel
    Perfect energy for a work day at home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Henry Jackman.

I know I'm in the minority but this score keeps getting better the more familiar I am with it. So many little motifs and patterns to discover, such perfect riveting recording quality (at least if you're a fan of modern, bass-heavy electronic music, which I casually appreciate). Doesn't hurt that the film is also incredibly excellent and the score fits it like a glove, immediately taking me back to those scenes. It's probably my favorite Jackman score for a live action film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote

I know I'm in the minority but this score keeps getting better the more familiar I am with it. So many little motifs and patterns to discover, such perfect riveting recording quality (at least if you're a fan of modern, bass-heavy electronic music, which I casually appreciate). Doesn't hurt that the film is also incredibly excellent and the score fits it like a glove, immediately taking me back to those scenes. It's probably my favorite Jackman score for a live action film.

I agree with you. It's a fascinating score -- multi-layered with some truly original textures. Very misunderstood, this.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: Africa (2012) - Sarah Class

I had forgotten what fine a score this one is.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. Thor wrote
    Scribe wrote

I agree with you. It's a fascinating score -- multi-layered with some truly original textures. Very misunderstood, this.

Next time my ears are bleeding I'll just tell them they're misunderstood, then. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I've said it from the very beginning, and I'll repeat it until those ears bleed again:

Winter Soldier is a fantastic score.

The action scoring, like that during the first act where they storm that SHIELD military cruiser (with the missile/satellite on it), watching Rogers running along that deck, taking out enemies, fighting... awesome!!!

That electronic noise that's used for the Winter Soldier - not really easy listening music - captures the sheer force and soulless power of that character perfectly...

And finally, Rogers' own thematic material, from those wonderful WW II trumpets at the museum to something a lot more depressing and sinister, representing the change in politics over the decades and the games of intrigue and oppression corrupt politicians play.

That last, long track, "Captain America", is pure gold for me. It was from the first time I heard it, and everyone was laughing at me, but I stand by that and always will. It gets better with every minute, and during its last minute or two you just want to cry about how everything is falling to pieces, everywhere... I think it really captures the mood, the world, the reality we are in - the world and era Steve has been woken up to. Poor guy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    That electronic noise that's used for the Winter Soldier - not really easy listening music - captures the sheer force and soulless power of that character perfectly...

Agreed. It's like a hybrid of Stockhausen, Goldenthal and Remote Control. Incredibly fascinating track.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Tristan and Isolde~Anne Dudley

Dreamy, intriguing at times.Bittersweet I think is the word. As love always is...
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    Scribe wrote

Next time my ears are bleeding I'll just tell them they're misunderstood, then. tongue

lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2015
    NP: Sharknado 2 - Chris Ridenhour & Chris Cano

How is this not utter shite? The 15 minute finale is epic and sounds almost like a collaboration between Tyler and HGW might sound. I'm sure there's a better description waiting to be made but that's the best I have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2015 edited
    CHAPPIE | hans zimmer, steve mazzaro and andrew kawczynski

I'm listening to it and will probably listen to it again in an other lifetime where I have not heard it but where I am also interested in Zimmer. Lots of beats and ambient scoring with a catchy motif to keep it together.
    Kazoo
  8. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    The action scoring, like that during the first act where they storm that SHIELD military cruiser (with the missile/satellite on it), watching Rogers running along that deck, taking out enemies, fighting... awesome!!!

Awesome by-the-numbers RC scoring that could have been in every score ever.

Ralph Kruhm wrote

Except the Winter Soldier is not a soulless character. The theme completely fucks up that aspect of who he is. There's nothing in there to represent the former Bucky Barnes...nothing, not even in the mid-credits scene where he's at the museum looking at the exhibit about himself and it hints that he might be remembering and regaining some of his humanity. Nope, it's still scored with the same stupid screeching. That was one of the most misjudged film score moments I can ever remember seeing. This is all besides the fact that it's one of the most unlistenable "themes" ever concocted and is a limp retread of what Zimmer did for the Joker to boot...and with the Joker, at least the chaotic sound was appropriate to the character.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    And finally, Rogers' own thematic material, from those wonderful WW II trumpets at the museum to something a lot more depressing and sinister, representing the change in politics over the decades and the games of intrigue and oppression corrupt politicians play.

That last, long track, "Captain America", is pure gold for me. It was from the first time I heard it, and everyone was laughing at me, but I stand by that and always will. It gets better with every minute, and during its last minute or two you just want to cry about how everything is falling to pieces, everywhere... I think it really captures the mood, the world, the reality we are in - the world and era Steve has been woken up to. Poor guy.

Now we've come to the part of the score I actually don't dislike, especially the last half of the "Captain America" track, but I also feel like you're projecting those moods onto the score rather than vice versa.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2015
    Bregt wrote
    CHAPPIE | hans zimmer, steve mazzaro and andrew kawczynski

I'm listening to it and will probably listen to it again in an other lifetime where I have not heard it but where I am also interested in Zimmer. Lots of beats and ambient scoring with a catchy motif to keep it together.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect this to be your cup of tea, Bregt. But it is most definitely MINE! smile
    I am extremely serious.