• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2015
    NP: COLETTE (Atli Örvarsson)

Maybe my favourite score by Atli -- haunting and melancholic befitting the Holocaust setting of the story.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2015 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Except the Winter Soldier is not a soulless character. The theme completely fucks up that aspect of who he is. There's nothing in there to represent the former Bucky Barnes...nothing, not even in the mid-credits scene where he's at the museum looking at the exhibit about himself and it hints that he might be remembering and regaining some of his humanity. Nope, it's still scored with the same stupid screeching. That was one of the most misjudged film score moments I can ever remember seeing. This is all besides the fact that it's one of the most unlistenable "themes" ever concocted and is a limp retread of what Zimmer did for the Joker to boot...and with the Joker, at least the chaotic sound was appropriate to the character.

Jackman wasn't scoring Bucky Barnes' character with that theme. He was scoring the terrifying feeling of being stalked by a mysterious, legendary, apparently-supernatural killer (i.e. he's been around for 50-60 years and still has the same description, so he can't just be a normal guy). And he captured that perfectly. Like all great film scores, the film and its tension are elevated drastically by that creepy music. In fact, if not for the way Jackman scored it, the Winter Soldier scenes would have lost most of their dramatic tension, because we already know that this supposedly terrifying character is just Bucky and we would just be waiting around for him to regain his sanity instead of being afraid of what he's going to do next. And continuing to use that music in the museum scene, well I agree that it could have been handled differently, but it's an attempt to continue to project an aura of horror around the character and the terror of having one's memories stripped away. I think the music in that scene particularly is a good reflection of how it felt to be Bucky at the time, don't you? All rage and fear and pain without even the dignity of really knowing why any of it is happening to you.

I see what you are saying and agree that your suggestions would have been a valid way to go. But I do think the way Jackman went is also valid and that's why the score works so well for me both in the film and as a standalone listening experience, where it's a roller-coaster of emotions achieved quite unconventionally. With sonic candy to sweeten it up!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. NP: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) - John Barry
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) - John Barry

Me too. For Timmer!
    Kazoo
  2. Scribe wrote
    Jackman wasn't scoring Bucky Barnes' character with that theme. He was scoring the terrifying feeling of being stalked by a mysterious, legendary, apparently-supernatural killer (i.e. he's been around for 50-60 years and still has the same description, so he can't just be a normal guy). And he captured that perfectly. Like all great film scores, the film and its tension are elevated drastically by that creepy music. In fact, if not for the way Jackman scored it, the Winter Soldier scenes would have lost most of their dramatic tension, because we already know that this supposedly terrifying character is just Bucky and we would just be waiting around for him to regain his sanity instead of being afraid of what he's going to do next. And continuing to use that music in the museum scene, well I agree that it could have been handled differently, but it's an attempt to continue to project an aura of horror around the character and the terror of having one's memories stripped away. I think the music in that scene particularly is a good reflection of how it felt to be Bucky at the time, don't you? All rage and fear and pain without even the dignity of really knowing why any of it is happening to you.

I see what you are saying and agree that your suggestions would have been a valid way to go. But I do think the way Jackman went is also valid and that's why the score works so well for me both in the film and as a standalone listening experience, where it's a roller-coaster of emotions achieved quite unconventionally. With sonic candy to sweeten it up!

Hmm...I can see where you're coming from as well, but again, I feel like it's a rather one-dimensional way of representing that character. With the Joker, again, it worked because the Joker is a one-dimensional character. He's just chaos personified. The Winter Soldier isn't that at all, and I feel as though Jackman's music is remiss in not addressing the former humanity at least a little bit. Does it work in creating the atmosphere you rave about so much? Yeah...I guess. It's distinctive enough too - I just don't feel like it added all that much either. I guess I was also "poisoned" to an extent by the dreadful album experience, so instead of going "ooh, that music's scary" I'm just going "ooh, there's that really obnoxious bit from the CD".

But we all know this fancy-talk really just boils down to the fact that I don't like the theme as music. Maybe it's fine as film music, but as music, there's not much I heard in 2014 that caused a stronger negative reaction from me. okay, maybe Nicki Minaj's "Anaconda" qualifies. Hell, I feel bad comparing even the Winter Soldier theme with that...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Well, it seems we've reached that point again.

As fans of filmmusic, we have, of course, a completely different approach to scores. We love certain styles and dislike others, and when we have favourites among the composers or have certain expectations about how this or that film should have this or that kind of score, we are usually getting upset if our expectations aren't met by the actual score.

But that doesn't change the fact that composers don't write a score to please their fans or the filmmusic community as a whole (although some try and/or are perfectly aware of that audience, not always to the benefit of the score), but to complement the movie they are hired for to score.

As such, it's our fault if we judge a score by listening to the album first, not liking what we hear, and then feel negatively about it when a certain disliked track appears in the movie whenever we actually get to see it. You have to keep in mind that it's meant to be the other way around: First you watch the movie, and then, if you dislike the score, you can say so and move on, and if you like the score and are blown away by it, you have the choice to buy it to enjoy it as a genuine experience. That's what the score album is for, for people who enjoyed the score.

If you first listen to an album and think it's bad just because you don't like what you're hearing and blame the composer, it's close to buying a death metal album although you know you don't like death metal, and then blame the band for playing death metal.

I know it's not that simple, but it surely is the basic premise a lot of you guys tend to forget. You don't like a score in a movie? Fine. Then don't listen to it, don't buy it, and move along. Accept that there are people out there who like it, and be done with it. But saying it's a bad score just because you don't like it is just a bit too much on the egocentric side for me to ever accept such an opinion.

Music is about taste, and if you don't like something because of your taste, that's perfectly fine. But that should be it, then. And, most certainly, don't judge a score by its album. The album is for those who liked the score in the movie.

Fact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    PS: There are always people who, after reading my point made above, make comments like: "Then what is this forum for, do you want us to stop discussing scores", and such. We can, and should, discuss scores. A lot of points you make are understandable, and I can see where you're coming from. But in the end, it is about taste. No point I can make about Winter Soldier will ever make you like it one bit more, or the other way around.

Feel free to discuss that. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    You will have no satisfaction with getting the tracks. You need to ask for a refund.

Apparently CD Baby are unable to remove the offer of the download as a purchasing option - the artist themselves must do it. I tried contacting Kaska via Facebook and via his site but had no reply. And since the tracks have not been removed, even CD Baby's attempts to contact Kaska (or his representatives has proved useless.

CD Baby were fine about issuing a refund once it was clear that they could offer no solution.

Well, I also had to post on their Facebook to get anyone to email me back, but they have said they are in the process of having the CD re-ripped, so hopefully this will soon be resolved for any future potential purchasers who might decide to check it out after reading these comments...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    various facts and opinions

Yes. smile Although I would hesitate to use the word "fault" at all, because there is no blame to assign if someone like Edmund hates the score and think its the worst of the century. He's not doing anything wrong by not liking it or expressing his opinion thereof. I have learned I don't need everyone on the board to like all the same scores I like, in fact that would be boring wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Absolutely. As I said, everyone is inclined to hate what (s)he wants. It's just when an opinion is based on an experience that's not meant to be the intended experience when the opinion becomes "faulty" (or any other version of "wrongly-based" you prefer). I'd compare it with watching a big cinemascope movie in 4:3 mode on a 2 inch cell phone screen for the first time and then saying it was bad. Well, that's an exaggeration, of course, but just to make it more clear what I meant: Never judge the OST first. Watch the movie, then make your choice whether you think it's a good score or bad, then, if you like it, go on and listen to the album. Of course most of us don't do that - but we hardly ever think about the fact that we're doing the opposite of how it's intended to be done.

A lot of scores need the images they were written for in your mind for you to appreciate the notes. There are so many scores I didn't care for at first which became favourites of mine after I saw the movie they were composed for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That's quite true, but judging the CD as a CD (which is what most people are doing, even if they say it's a "bad score" or "good score") is surely something different from trying to guess what it is as a film score without watching the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    But that's just it. How can you judge a piece of music in a presentation form as pure music if this music is not originally meant to be enjoyed as a pure musical experience? That's the genuine difference to any other music genre. Many people argue that it's sold as an album and should be judged as an album. I say "no" to this. This is the one genre where the album is not meant to be this single experience. I say the album is for the people who watched the movie and liked the music in it. They can afterwards go and buy the album.

You can, of course, say, the album is a bad representation of the score as it is used in the movie, or you can critizise some technical things or its length (cheers, Thor). But don't judge it as a pure musical experience. It's just not fair.

However - there are, of course, many, many scores which actually do provide a great stand-alone listening experience, where you don't need the movie to enjoy the music. Some scores are way better than the movies they were written for. We all know that. But that doesn't change the fact that a score doesn't aim to be a great stand-alone listening experience. It aims to be a great score for the movie. That's all. If you've seen the movie, and thought the music didn't enhance it, then you can say "That's a bad score". But then don't listen to the CD afterwards and say "That's a bad album", too. tongue

And now, off to something funny:
    Who can name a score that's actually a great stand-alone listening experience on CD, but a total crap score?
  3. So you think you can't judge Edvard Grieg's "Peer Gynt" suite without taking the stage play into account?
  4. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    But that's just it. How can you judge a piece of music in a presentation form as pure music if this music is not originally meant to be enjoyed as a pure musical experience? That's the genuine difference to any other music genre. Many people argue that it's sold as an album and should be judged as an album. I say "no" to this. This is the one genre where the album is not meant to be this single experience. I say the album is for the people who watched the movie and liked the music in it. They can afterwards go and buy the album.

You can, of course, say, the album is a bad representation of the score as it is used in the movie, or you can critizise some technical things or its length (cheers, Thor). But don't judge it as a pure musical experience. It's just not fair.

However - there are, of course, many, many scores which actually do provide a great stand-alone listening experience, where you don't need the movie to enjoy the music. Some scores are way better than the movies they were written for. We all know that. But that doesn't change the fact that a score doesn't aim to be a great stand-alone listening experience. It aims to be a great score for the movie. That's all. If you've seen the movie, and thought the music didn't enhance it, then you can say "That's a bad score". But then don't listen to the CD afterwards and say "That's a bad album", too. tongue

And now, off to something funny:
    Who can name a score that's actually a great stand-alone listening experience on CD, but a total crap score?

I'd risk saying quite a bit of Da Vinci Code. Some of the best music Hans ever wrote, but totally overdone for the film (save for Chevaliers).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. I have similar sentiments about the ending of A Beautiful Mind, really.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2015
    NP: CINDERELLA (Patrick Doyle)

One of the best scores he's written in the last 5 years, especially if you program out all the polkas and waltzes midway.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2015 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) - John Barry

Me too. For Timmer!

Really appreciated guys! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor wrote

One of the best scores he's written in the last 5 years, especially if you program out all the polkas and waltzes midway.

Source music? I adore Doyle's original waltzes.
  6. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    But that's just it. How can you judge a piece of music in a presentation form as pure music if this music is not originally meant to be enjoyed as a pure musical experience?

Personally, I take the music at face value. If I hear it in the film them I appraise the music as heard in the film, if I hear the music as a stand-alone listen then I will judge the music as a separate piece.

There's no decree that says you shouldn't listen to the music separate (god forbid you should enjoy it too!) Everyone comes to this music in different ways. Personally, I enjoy trying to appraise the music using the experience I've had with the music itself or as part of the film. Sometimes I write down my thoughts based upon the unique experience I have had with that music. And I may even try to extrapolate (some would say second guess) how the music is working based upon the knowledge I have of the film and the emotional response I have to the music. If people don't particularly like that approach then that's fine.

One of the main things I like about this genre of music is that it is able to reach out to me and affect me, regardless of whether I have seen the movie or not. And another is that everyone can have different experiences and come to the music with different expectations.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Dragonheart 3 - Mark McMenzie

Unfortunately, it seems like McKenzie was instructed to write to a Game of Thrones temp track. Or something similarly Djawadi/Balfe-ish. I'm only part of the way through the album but it's far more Remote Control-ish than anything he's written before, and that of course is not his strength. It's still very competent but I hope it gets a bit more...beautiful later on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Dragonheart 3 - Mark McMenzie

Unfortunately, it seems like McKenzie was instructed to write to a Game of Thrones temp track. Or something similarly Djawadi/Balfe-ish. I'm only part of the way through the album but it's far more Remote Control-ish than anything he's written before, and that of course is not his strength. It's still very competent but I hope it gets a bit more...beautiful later on.

I found the last couple of tracks to be somewhat worth the trouble of staying to the end.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Alan did you see my update on the Kaska situation?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    *sigh*

I wrote my statement as a response to Edmund who said he listened to the score first, didn't like the music for Bucky, then went and saw the film, and had a negative response based on his dislike for the music.

Look, I don't like the music, too. I think it's just loud, and nerve-wrecking, and everything.

But I loved the effect it had on the scene. That's why I think it's a great score. That's why I can return to the album and enjoy that music - based on my experience while watching the movie.

That's all I'm saying. Is it bad music? No, I just don't like this style. Few people like this style. Does it work for the scene? I say yes, and that's why I enjoy the album, because of the combined experience.

Of course you can judge an album you hear without watching the film. Of course you can judge Peer Gynt without the play. But you should remember that you were - originally - not supposed to listen to it in that way when you hear it the first time. Soundtrack (and Musicals and similar stuff) albums are unique compared to other music albums in that they are meant to be a memorabilia for those who saw the film and liked the music, but you guys tend to judge the stand-alone experience. There's nothing wrong with that, but you have to keep in mind that it's not meant to be experienced in this way, and judge accordingly. That's all I'm saying. Of course you can enjoy "The Ring Without Words" if you've never seen the actual operas. But my guess is that you will have a completely different listening experience to it if you have.
  7. NP: Star Wars I through VI - John Williams

My own time honoured playlist of the stellar hexalogy. Some 160 minutes of music.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    Thor wrote

Source music? I adore Doyle's original waltzes.

Probably source music, yes. I like many of Doyle's waltzes too, but here it becomes a bit overkill. Plus, they don't have that sense of melancholy about them, like "Harry in Winter". It's basically just Strauss pastiche.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. The thing is, I listen to way, way more scores than I ever watch movies. I listen to (and love) tons of scores from movies that I have no interest in ever watching. Judging them based on their album (or, more accurately, in terms of how they work as standalone music) is the only way I can fairly assess all scores on the same level. Disagree with my "criteria" all you want, but that's just always how I'm going to look at film scores.

And seriously - of all the truly classic film scores, of all the ones that are remembered and loved and have stood the test of time - how many of them don't work as music? Not a single goddamn one is how many of them.
  9. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The thing is, I listen to way, way more scores than I ever watch movies.

That's the same here. Although I don't seperate the score from the film and my interest in scores of films that I don't know is limited, listening to the score often serves as a substitute for actually revisiting the film.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    HRMPH!

Must.....resist.....getting....involved....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Look, I don't like the music, too. I think it's just loud, and nerve-wrecking, and everything.

You backpedaling traitor. I hereby petition to have you banned from the Henry Jackman's Captain America: The Winter Soldier fandom! angry

I guess I am the real crazy person since I actually do like the music in addition to thinking it works well in the score. wink
  10. Scribe wrote
    Alan did you see my update on the Kaska situation?

Yes, I did see your recent update. It's a shame that it takes the power of social media (and the negative exposure) to get them moving on things. I am a bit skeptical about their statement about re-ripping the CD: how long does it take to rip a CD and update their site? What they told you does seem to be at odds to what they told me - that they themselves are unable to remove/amend the details of an album...unless they have at last had a contact with the composer and Kaska is providing them with new rips.

I have not checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if CD Baby haven't yet updated their site to alert people to the issues with the digital tracks/album.

I hope that it gets sorted out to your satisfaction.