• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2014
    Steven wrote
    Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within Elliot Goldenthal

The whole thing is magnificent.

Yup!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    If you do only get moments to listen to anything James, make sure you pick something a bit more interesting that Interstellar.

Not liking it Alan? I'm really enjoying everything I've heard of this score so far. Does anyone know if Zimmer has mentioned that he has obviously been influenced by Philip Glass?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    If you do only get moments to listen to anything James, make sure you pick something a bit more interesting that Interstellar.

Not liking it Alan? I'm really enjoying everything I've heard of this score so far. Does anyone know if Zimmer has mentioned that he has obviously been influenced by Philip Glass?

I think he may have. As I mentioned earlier, I asked him about two influences in a facebook thread -- Glass' KOYANISQUATSI and Morricone's MISSION TO MARS. He said he had never even heard MISSION TO MARS, but neglected to confirm or deny anything Glass. Interpret that as you wish.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. There's about 20 minutes on the album that was interesting.

I can't see what all the zealous love for this one is about - well, I can I suppose as it's an 'event' Zimmer score.

But I can't hear anything here that I haven't heard before.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    Interstellar - Zimmer

In one word: booooooooooriiiiiiiiing
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    There's about 20 minutes on the album that was interesting.

I can't see what all the zealous love for this one is about - well, I can I suppose as it's an 'event' Zimmer score.

I must admit I had a feeling this wouldn't appeal to you that much, Alan.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. It does not come as a surprise that Zimmer's Interstellar is a love-it-or-hate-it affair. I would assume that this kind of electronic ambient music might be more appealing to European ears then to North-American, since electronica was never big in America. (Brian Eno being almost the sole exception. Larry Fast anyone?)

Who grew up with Berlin School electronica, Jarre and synth heavy 70s progrock can easily relate as well to this score as to those by Steven Price.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    I would assume that this kind of electronic ambient music might be more appealing to European ears then to North-American, since electronica was never big in America. (Brian Eno being almost the sole exception. Larry Fast anyone?)

I think that's a highly tenuous assumption to make. Poppycock, in other words.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote

shocked

Don't you realise Hans is pushing the boundaries of music in a way that has never been done before using a vast array of musicians and sublime hyperbole.
  3. What's poppycock? smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Captain Future wrote
    It does not come as a surprise that Zimmer's Interstellar is a love-it-or-hate-it affair. I would assume that this kind of electronic ambient music might be more appealing to European ears then to North-American, since electronica was never big in America. (Brian Eno being almost the sole exception. Larry Fast anyone?)

Who grew up with Berlin School electronica, Jarre and synth heavy 70s progrock can easily relate as well to this score as to those by Steven Price.

Volker

The score was praised by some American listeners on Filmtracks, The people who admitted not to like it, are Polish and Scottish, so I think the argument lies somewhere else smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I would assume that this kind of electronic ambient music might be more appealing to European ears then to North-American, since electronica was never big in America. (Brian Eno being almost the sole exception. Larry Fast anyone?)

I think that's a highly tenuous assumption to make. Poppycock, in other words.

I agree. You're talking nonsense here Captain.
  5. A few things, Volker:

1) You seem to hear Brian Eno and 70s-80s progrock influences in everything. With Interstellar I can still (barely, barely) hear it (I still wouldn't class it an "ambient electronica" score by any means). But come on, man, Ender's Game? tongue

2) I don't hear much, if anything, in common between Interstellar and Steven Price's scores.

3) The European vs. American liking of electronica thing? Yeah...bit of a generalization there. Remember, only a Sith deals in absolutes. wink

4) I'm not sure how much Interstellar will engage me on album, but in film I found it Zimmer's most effective in a very long time.
  6. Captain Future wrote
    It does not come as a surprise that Zimmer's Interstellar is a love-it-or-hate-it affair. I would assume that this kind of electronic ambient music might be more appealing to European ears then to North-American, since electronica was never big in America. (Brian Eno being almost the sole exception. Larry Fast anyone?)

Volker

I do take issue with your stereotypical generalisations that you make here.

For a start, I don't think that I mentioned that I "hate" it - I just didn't find it particularly interesting. It can be difficult sometimes to dig past the "love-without-question" that have been the basis of comments from Zimmer zealots (this isn't targeted to anyone in particular) and get a true reflection of what the music is actually like. Some people comment on the score as though the organ had never been used in film before!

What I am hearing in Interstellar doesn't even come close to being as interesting or listenable to much of what Jean Michel Jarre has done.

Zimmer does give some great parts to the score but I don't really want to sit through 4-5 minutes of uninteresting stuff to get there (this is something that I find with a lot of this composer's extended cue times). Interstellar will certainly be being put through some mp3 editing software to tease out the best bits.

Now, let me get back to my deep-fried Mars bar...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2014 edited
    Listening to Interstellar again this morning (what shitty cover art) and the cue "Stay" - especially the 6 note motif heard in the cue - reminds me so much of Horner's THE LAND BEFORE TIME. More specifically "The Great Migration", which, if I can remember correctly, is a rip on a piece by Wagner?

-Erik-

PS - Here's my custom cover art, if any one is interested
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Listening to Interstellar again this morning (what shitty cover art) and the cue "Stay" - especially the 6 note motif heard in the cue - reminds me so much of Horner's THE LAND BEFORE TIME. More specifically "The Great Migration", which, if I can remember correctly, is a rip on a piece by Wagner?

-Erik-

PS - Here's my custom cover art, if any one is interested

Which part of "The Great Migration"? There are a ton of themes and motifs in there, but unfortunately I can't remember which one might have 6 notes. I wish you meant the theme that starts shortly after 6:15 but that's probably too long to be a 6 note motif in Interstellar. If you can't be bothered to listen to the (admitedly saccharine) piece, no worries, I am going to see the film soon anyway.

Excellent art by the way.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  7. Scribe wrote

I like it too, but it doesn't really look like any scene from the movie itself...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, nice artwork, Erik, but I kinda like the original artwork too. I love epic 'space' images like that.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    A few things, Volker:

1) You seem to hear Brian Eno and 70s-80s progrock influences in everything. With Interstellar I can still (barely, barely) hear it (I still wouldn't class it an "ambient electronica" score by any means). But come on, man, Ender's Game? tongue

2) I don't hear much, if anything, in common between Interstellar and Steven Price's scores.

3) The European vs. American liking of electronica thing? Yeah...bit of a generalization there. Remember, only a Sith deals in absolutes. wink

4) I'm not sure how much Interstellar will engage me on album, but in film I found it Zimmer's most effective in a very long time.

Interstellar is so interesting for me, because it's an ambient score, but by no far electronica! I'm impressed how Hans avoided putting the synths in drone region (the drone instrument, handling most of the bass is actually the organ... I wonder if there are actually double basses in it), resorting it mostly to the middle register.

Volker's analysis is quite off guard. I hear more Eno, to be honest, in Gravity than I do in Interstellar.
  9. Wow, I did not think I would start such an argument here, but anyway:

I stand by my words that electronica (70s and 80s style) was an European and Japanese affair. I never really took off in the US. Who had heard about Vangelis there before COSMOS? I'm not talking about later styles like techno, house or trance. Whether this has any bearing on the reception of Zimmer's score is another question altogether. If I my assumption was too simplistic then be it.

And yes, there deffinitely is a notable progrock influence here. Listen to Tangerine Dream's early ALPHA CENTAURI or to "Arrival / The Fall of the House of Usher" APP and you'll see what I mean.
  10. NP: The Termnial (2004) - John Williams

To my shame I must admit that I never even ripped The Terminal and Munich to my media library. After correcting this oversight this afternoon I'd like to take back my totally uninformed words regarding the claimed similarity of these two scores. They are indeed as distinctly different as they could be.

The Terminal is a luscious, playful and melodic score with wonderful Eastern-European and lounge-jazzy colours.

So here I did speak nonsense. shame

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    Yes, nice artwork, Erik, but I kinda like the original artwork too. I love epic 'space' images like that.

I like epic space images as well but the colours are putrid! And I HATE the Interstellar logo they've been using.

Scribe wrote

Thanks!

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I like it too, but it doesn't really look like any scene from the movie itself...

Posters don't have to convey are certain "scene" in the film. They have to get the feel of the film and entice you to see it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Wow, I did not think I would start such an argument here, but anyway:

I stand by my words that electronica (70s and 80s style) was an European and Japanese affair. I never really took off in the US. Who had heard about Vangelis there before COSMOS? I'm not talking about later styles like techno, house or trance. Whether this has any bearing on the reception of Zimmer's score is another question altogether. If I my assumption was too simplistic than be it.

And yes, there deffinitely is a notable progrock influence here. Listen to Tangerine Dream's early ALPHA CENTAURI or to "Arrival / The Fall of the House of Usher" APP and you'll see what I mean.

I'm totally with you on both of those points, Volker!
    I am extremely serious.
  11. NP: Munich (2005) - John Williams

A beautiful, rich and moody score. Great Jewish colours, mesmerizing vocals. Who is still allowed to write film music on an artistic level such as this for mainstream cinema anymore?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I think he may have. As I mentioned earlier, I asked him about two influences in a facebook thread -- Glass' KOYANISQUATSI and Morricone's MISSION TO MARS. He said he had never even heard MISSION TO MARS, but neglected to confirm or deny anything Glass. Interpret that as you wish.

I'm not hearing much Glass in this. It has the same style of narrative application as some of Glass' film music (i.e. complete disregard for dialogue and mise-en-scene) but it's Zimmer through and through.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Imitation Game Alexandre Desplat

Predictably excellent score. It won't budge Godzilla from its top spot of 2014 (not even Zimmer's reinvention of music with Interstellar can do that), but this is a contender for the top 10.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    (not even Zimmer's reinvention of music with Interstellar can do that)

shocked

Don't you realise Hans is pushing the boundaries of music in a way that has never been done before using a vast array of musicians and sublime hyperbole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2014
    Yeah, whatever.

Amen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2014
    shocked

Don't you realise Hans is......

Ah! What the fuck!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2014 edited
    NP: Last Tango In Paris - Gato Barbieri

A little late night listening. This, IMO, is an essential jazz film score. Superb! Very much in the same league as other steamy jazz scores like WILD THINGS by George S. Clinton and BODY HEAT by John Barry.

-Erik-