• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Not heard of that one. But I did get my 'funk fix' the other day with Marvin Gaye's Trouble Man.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2014
    Check it out Alan, it's great. I have the LP but I listened to this on Spotify.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Thanks Tim. Have you checked out Hayes' Truck Turner? That's even better!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2014 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thanks Tim. Have you checked out Hayes' Truck Turner? That's even better!!

Yup! Love it too! cool

I've no idea why THIS TRACK from TRUCK TURNER cannot be played on Spotify despite the rest of the soundtrack being on there? confused Flaming corking track too!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Howard Shore

Very similar to the other Hobbit scores: lots of themes and motifs that seem to be stitched together without much thought so that it doesn't really play as a coherent listen. This particular outing is, I think, the best of the three for me as there's a lot darker feel to it all. But, it still doesn't approach the original Lord of the Rings scores: these original scores had a lot of themes and motifs like The Hobbit but for Lord of the Rings, all the material seemed to be better linked together into a more enjoyable listening experience away from the films.

This aspect reminds me a lot of John Williams' original Star Wars trilogy scores: a lot more listenable because the cues sounded more like complete pieces rather than a whole load of ideas stitched together.

While many of the criticisms of the new trilogy's music seem harsh to me, I can agree wholeheartedly with this one. I'm sure the problem was partly caused by the film-maker's complete inability to make up their minds about what they were putting in the films. With LotR Shore could plan the whole thing years before the last score needed to be done. With these new movies it seems he hasn't been given a chance to think ahead, or if he does, it gets replaced by a goshdarn temp track from LotR.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. I wonder if everyone was a bit jaded with the Hobbit films after spending so much time on the original trilogy?

Jackson seemed to be less respectful to the story by treating the original so shabbily by adding so much from other sources (or just making it up) - though all this may be down to pressure from the studio.

And Shore seems to have not been able to have a score that flows through scenes and seems to have been steered down the path of providing a score where fragments of themes are seemingly cut-and-pasted to mirror very closely and literally what's happening on screen (will be able to watch for this when I see the film). Again, the composer may have had outside pressures to go down this route.
  4. I think if you go back to LOTR, with the exception of the 'Moth's theme' and some of the Ring themes, most of the themes were used pretty literally to describe what was happening on screen.

It is interesting that the same bits and pieces approach to theme-dropping you cite in THE HOBBIT scores is - to my mind - also the flaw of Williams' STAR WARS prequel scores. The old themes only occasionally emerge organically from the content.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Been playing the new Hobbit score since a while, putting it together as a playlist. Positives - seriously astounding orchestral music both emotional and powerful, including amazing renditions of some familiar themes from LoTR as well (Nature's Reclamation theme in one of the later tracks especially stands out). Negatives... the sound quality of the release.

Hi everyone. Visiting after a long time. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2014
    Ravi! shocked
    Long time no see, mate!
    How are you these days?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Hi Martijn! Feels great to see you all after a long time. beer

Life has been a mixed bag, honestly. Doing alright as of now. How about you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Much the same, I'm afraid. As we move on through life, the ups and downs seem to become more pronounced.

Glad to hear you're good these days!
    And fantastic to see you again.
    bhangra
    Hope you're able to be a bit of a regular again!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yayyy Ravi, good to see you man. beer
  5. Long time no see here, Ravi!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. NP: Knighthood and Fantasy - Various Artists

My playlist as posted in Kevin's compiltion thread. Revisiting the playlist prompted me to add "Arthur's Fanfare" by Jerry Goldsmith on top of the list.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Missing - Horner

Another one I didn't fully appreciate at first, but now do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2014 edited
    The Hobbit III: The Dark Side of the Hobbit Howard Shore

Cut it down to about 50 minutes, and if by magic it turns into a listenable album. (Don't try to attempt this yourself unless you've had the proper training like I have. It takes years to get to where I am.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

Cut it down to about 50 minutes, and if by magic it turns into a listenable album. (Don't try to attempt this yourself unless you've had the proper training like I have. It takes years to get to where I am.)

I believe you even if you weren't sarcastic! Please send me your 50-minute program. I'd love to have it. I'm listening to the SE now and am already exasperated after 4 tracks.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I wish people wouldn't say "I'm listening to the SE" when talking about the Hobbit scores. When you've got a Standard Edition and a Special Edition, that acronym is rather unhelpful. rolleyes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2014
    I would feel safe guessing they mean the Special Edition, people doesn't usually find standard editions worthy of announcement...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  8. Yeah, I know, I know. The problem with acronyms... biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Yeah, I know, I know. The problem with acronyms... biggrin

I hate ACRONYMS. It is simply lazy.

I see no problem once something has been written in full, for example a long winded title like The Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship of The Ring with any further mentions of the title in the post referred to as TLOTR: TFOTR, that'll be fine.

But simply expecting everyone to know with only an ACRONYM is arrogant or lazy or both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-F2HKLzB6c
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

I believe you even if you weren't sarcastic! Please send me your 50-minute program. I'd love to have it. I'm listening to the SE now and am already exasperated after 4 tracks.

1. Fire & Water
    2. Battle for the Mountain
    3. The Darkest Hour
    4. Sons of Durin
    5. The Fallen
    6. Ravenhill
    7. To The Death
    8. Ironfoot
    9. The Return Journey
    10. There and Back Again

53:29
  9. Predator 2 Silvestri

Unless sound quality is terrible I usually have a tin ear for these things but the sound quality on this new deluxe edition is astounding! It holds together really well in extended form and this new mix really shows off how brilliantly orchestrated it is. Highly recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    TH:TBOTFA Howard Shore

Again. Really enjoying this one!
  10. John Chambers wrote
    Predator 2 Silvestri

Unless sound quality is terrible I usually have a tin ear for these things but the sound quality on this new deluxe edition is astounding! It holds together really well in extended form and this new mix really shows off how brilliantly orchestrated it is. Highly recommended.

Very much looking forward to listening to this when it arrives.

It's at times like this when I do regret ordering directly from Varese as it adds a few days on to delivery.
  11. Steven wrote

Which version? TH:TBOTFA(SE) or TH:TBOTFA(SE)?
  12. FalkirkBairn wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    Predator 2 Silvestri

Very much looking forward to listening to this when it arrives.

It's at times like this when I do regret ordering directly from Varese as it adds a few days on to delivery.

I ordered direct from Varese and it arrived here in Bristol on Monday, hope yours arrives soon!
  13. The Hobbit Part three out of three The Battle of the Fife Armies based somewhat on the novel by John Ronald Royal smile Tolkien

Ahem - My favourite of the three. I enjoy it from start to end. Nevertheless I want an pan-Hobbit playlist for my i-pod. Maybe during the winter break I'll compile one.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    I only received a shipping notice for Predator 2 from SAE at the beginning of the week, so it could be at least another week before it arrives. But I have had occasions where I've received an order before the shipping email...

I just need to forget about it and wait until it arrives. But people will insist on posting comments about how good it is and rubbing it in that they have their copy already!

wink
  14. Steven wrote

I've only listened to it once so far and more stood out upon first listen than did initially with the previous two but after how wonderful 'The Lord of the Rings' scores were these have been my biggest ever film score disappointments.