• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2014 edited
    MovieScore Media presents

Coliseum (Marc Timón Barceló)

http://moviescoremedia.com/coliseum-marc-timon-barcelo/
    http://www1.screenarchives.com/title_de … /COLISEUM/

#1 on Mundo BSO’s score ranking for September 2014

“This is a in its whole an overwhelming work, which takes full advantage of the choirs and has several epic, bombastic and grandiloquent themes, in nothing artificial, and that also includeslyrical melodies, refined and emotional.” (Mundo BSO)

Produced by Drakonia, Coliseum is a spectacular show which recreates the deadly games of Ancient Rome in a live movie experience. The production follows the adventures of Marcus Octavius Atellus, the legatus of Rome who has been sentenced to fight as a gladiator in the Coliseum to recover his freedom; he must also survive the machinations of his nemesis Dominicianus, the evil brother of the Titus who plans on becoming the emperor. Featuring more than 100 actors, horses, exotic dancers, fire stunts and chariot races, the show features such set pieces as the Battle of Hispania, a “David and Goliath” duel with Porphy rion the Giant and a tender romantic subplot between Marcus and his one true love, Cleopatra.

Born in Castelló d’Empúries in 1980, Spanish composer Marc Timón Barceló had shown great talent and creativity at an early age. He first graduated in journalism before getting his degree in composition from the prestigious ESMUC. His most notable film credits include horror movies like Witches (2010) and El arbol sin sombra (2013) or the animated children’s movie The Little Wizard (2013) which marked the composer’s CD soundtrack debut at MovieScore Media.

“You can’t create ‘Roman’ music without Miklós Rózsa (Ben-Hur) or Alex North (Cleopatra),” explains the composer “so I studied their use of brass, how they orchestrated, how they recreated the sound of archaic days. Then I looked at our present with a focus on Hans Zimmer (Gladiator) – from him, I learned about orchestral textures, powerful ostinati and thunderous war percussion. I also ttied to mix the two fundamentally different ways of understanding film music in one soundtrack. While we tend to look at John Williams and Hans Zimmer as opposites, I always thought it would be possible to do a score with both styles co-existing: on one hand we’d have melodies and leitmotifs, on the other we’d have big percussion, textural atmosphere and loops.”

MMS140229 • COLISEUM (Original Soundtrack Recording)
    Music Composed, Orchestrated and Conducted by MARC TIMÓN BARCELÓ
    Release date (digital): October 14, 2014
    Release date (CD): October 21, 2014
    CD available while quantities and interest remain.

TRACK LIST

1 Roman Fanfare 0:19
    2 The Emperor’s Entourage 2:39
    3 Marcus Octavius Atellus 4:11
    4 The Tribes 2:33
    5 Cleopatra’s Theme 3:09
    6 Exotic Dances from Egypt 5:03
    7 Sands from the Coliseum 1:48
    8 Mehara the Horse 1:24
    9 Fighting Never Ends s1:26
    10 Porphyrion the Giant 2:08
    11 Dominicianus and Titus 2:17
    12 Hercules’ Sword 3:12
    13 Destiny of the Gladiator 3:29
    14 Domicianus Treason 2:30
    15 The Last Combat 2:09
    16 Cleopatra’s Theme (Strings Version) 3:14
    17 Battle of Hispania 9:52
    18 When Dreams Come True 0:36
    19 Honor and Victory 1:48
    20 Rudis 2:08
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I gather you like the score? smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Fantastic! But I'm wondering how I fit this in my Top 10 of 2014 since it was written for a live show.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Great score indeed. Dare I say... a cross between Rozsa and Giacchino? shocked
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2014
    Rozsa and Zimmer!

-Erik-
  3. Zimmer'd wish! lol.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The battle music is very much Zimmer. The lush, leitmotivic themes and orchestrations are clearly influenced by Rozsa.

I love the combo of styles. It's a love letter to the golden age and modern day epics.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMWippel
    It´s an OK score for me - too much Zimmer and too less Rozsa or North.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Bah!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Yes, it would have been even better if the Rózsa hadn't been diluted out by the Zimmer. When it's Rózsa, it's epic!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorMWippel
    A lot of Holst in the action tracks (last Combat) - some stuff sounds like Trailer music to me.
    I prefer Alexander Ciminis "Red Krokodil" - when we talk about new fresh compositions
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I like Red Krokodil as well. I just like the composers approach to Coliseum. I wasn't expecting anything highly original; just a blend of styles which I think makes for a fantastic and interesting score. But then again, I'm in a really good mood today (even though it's Wednesday - I HATE Wednesdays) so my mind might change in a few months when I go to reevaluate the score for award consideration. But my initial listen was VERY positive.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm intrigued.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marc Timon Barcelo shows great premise so far smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    The battle music is very much Zimmer. The lush, leitmotivic themes and orchestrations are clearly influenced by Rozsa.

I love the combo of styles. It's a love letter to the golden age and modern day epics.

-Erik-

Nothing wrong with Zimmer-ish battle music. His Gladiator score, is his 2nd best thing he ever wrote ,after The Thin Red Line. Top score smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ummm... Backdraft is Zimmer's best score. Get it right, D.

-Erik-
  4. Rain Man
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ummm... Backdraft is Zimmer's best score. Get it right, D.

-Erik-

It's close enough for sure, 3rd i'd say smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You've spelt 1st wrong D tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    You've spelt 1st wrong D tongue

biggrin
  5. My review of Coliseum if you're interested.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2014 edited
    Only got the score in this week, so joining the toga party a little late.
    Excellent review from Synchrontones, and exactly right: “Ben Hur” meets “Crimson Tide” meets “Avatar” (even though I detect more echoes from the Roman marches from Quo Vadis than Ben Hur, but that is proper nitpicking).

Enjoying this a lot, but mainly because it carries over a lot of 'Golden Age' orchestration and sound design. When it's at its best it's like Rozsa Deconstructed.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn