• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2014 edited
    We´re all familiar with end credits using inappropriate songs. There may also be particular cases were you´re not satisfied with the score being used in the credits, because it doesn´t reprise the most important piece(s) of music such as a main theme. Or you just don't like the piece. There can be a completely new piece of music that is or isn't in tune with the rest of the score, but still fits within the mood of the picture or score. It might serve as a aftermath or comment about something, say, revealing that has happened near the end.

Now, I´m looking for examples were none of this is the case. Just a piece of score used in the end credits that does not make sense and has no function at all, regardless of how good or bad it sounds. Can anyone think of something?
  1. I'm always a little irritated in general when there isn't a unique end credits suite. I know it's become a rarity in this day and age and I realize that most of the time a composer doesn't have time to craft a unique cue for the end credits anymore...but still. A cobbled together end credits, regardless of how much fun it is to stay behind and listen to, always feels like a missed opportunity. Especially with, say, a Hans Zimmer score, where I know he's got suites tucked away somewhere that he could use for the occasion.

This is rare, but I particularly hate it when it gets put on the album anyway. I'm looking at you, Prisoner of Azkaban and Revenge of the Sith. Wasted disk space. crazy

Anyways, enough of the negativity. Isn't it great that Michael Giacchino still does end titles cues? cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2014
    Most end credit suites these days are edits from previous cues in the score. BOOOOOORRRRRING!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yup! Should be a law that an original piece is recorded for the end credits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2014 edited
    I must admit that this isn't a topic that has concerned me very much over the years. I'm more interested in the score BEFORE the end credits roll. But I agree that it's nice with a good end titles suite on the soundtrack album, and also there's an element of importance between the last shot and the first few bars of whatever song or instrumental they choose (or silence, for that matter). But that's pretty much where it ends for me (no pun intended).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You of all people, interested in soundtrack albums as an independent entity entirely divorced from the film, are not concerned with end titles pieces, often literally the only opportunity the composer has to write something entirely musically "pure"?

!?!?!?!?

?????????????

!?!?!?!?!?
  2. It's Thor. He doesn't miss any opportunities not to make sense. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor is the influence of existential balance who's desire is the wisdom of unparalleled joy, the unpredictable womb of ephemeral consciousness. Which is to say, nobody quite understands him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    You of all people, interested in soundtrack albums as an independent entity entirely divorced from the film, are not concerned with end titles pieces, often literally the only opportunity the composer has to write something entirely musically "pure"?

I just said I was interested in end credits from THAT perspective (of course!), but in terms of end credits being wholly appropriate or inappropriate in the films themselves? Nah, not so much. The most interesting thing about that perspective is the moment when it goes from the last shot to black. Whatever they play after that, I don't really care about. I'm usually on my way out of the cinema anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2014
    ^ Ladies and gentleman, the King of Weirdtardedville.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    but in terms of end credits being wholly appropriate or inappropriate in the films themselves? Nah, not so much. The most interesting thing about that perspective is the moment when it goes from the last shot to black. Whatever they play after that, I don't really care about. I'm usually on my way out of the cinema anyway.

Given more thought and I don't believe you'd have written this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

I just said I was interested in end credits from THAT perspective (of course!), but in terms of end credits being wholly appropriate or inappropriate in the films themselves? Nah, not so much. The most interesting thing about that perspective is the moment when it goes from the last shot to black. Whatever they play after that, I don't really care about. I'm usually on my way out of the cinema anyway.

Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Ladies and gentleman, the King of Weirdtardedville.

In Thor's defence (yes, it does happen!), I don't think that's such a weird or retarded thing to say!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I wasn't responding to that post. Began writing post, got distracted then came back, finished post and found out that 3000 people finished their posts before me.

I'm on an iPhone so I'm too lazy to make the fix. Anyway, Thor has been the king of Weirdtardedville for years now!

Then again, as a film music fan, the last thing Thor said was weird and retarded as well.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It is a pain. It's one of my Top Three worst things that can happen to you. For reference, they are as follows:

1. The holocaust
    2. Paper cuts
    3. Having to edit posts on a mobile device (especially quotes or links)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote

I can't for the life figure out why this would be considered weird.
    I completely agree on the final effect: in the cinema or on TV I do not give a toss.
    On CD I mind and care A LOT!
    That's the whole point of enjoying the music as a separate entity.

And from Thor's point of view it makes perfect sense: the end credits hardly ever are part of the film's narrative, so why be bothered with them?

And I'd like to add 'running out of coffee'.
    From a purely personal point if view I would put it on par with the Holocaust, but I'd fear coming off as rather callous, so I won't.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    In terms of the film, no, it isn't weird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If we were talking about ALBUMS, though, I wouldn't mind if the whole thing was made up of end credits suites (or, in fact, any type of suite)! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I love the end titles roll. I hate it, when they cut it on TV or when the light goes on in the cinema and everybody (but me) is on their noisy way out. The ETR is the only opportunity to concentrate on the music alone, to reafirm what you just listened to during the film. For me this is a vital part of the whole experiance. The mood that the film created is condensed musically and ligers and leaves an echo in your consciousness. Many years back, recording music from the ETR "throught the air" was the only way to make certain music available.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Once in a rare while, I also sit through the end titles -- especially if I'm alone at a cinemateque or something. But if I'm at a press screening or if I'm with friends, I usually leave no later than a minute or two into the end credits.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I just realized that in this day and age of practically every film having a post-credits scene of some sort, a lot more people stay through the end credits than they used to. Composers ought to use that time to do some self-advertisement! wink