• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2015 edited
    The trailer music reminds me of John Ottman's modernization (aka bastardization) of John Williams' love theme in Superman Returns.

Now it's Star Wars' turn. I don't mind the use of the Star Wars themes... great... but instead of classic orchestrations we get these modern chord progressions, drums (ugh!) and EPIC choir so that the kids don't think that Star Wars is just for old folks. I'm just wondering... were people like Verta, Pearce, Boyer, Kaska, Haab, Griskey, Newmaster, etc all too busy that they had to hire a fourth rate MV/RC clone to butcher Williams' themes?

And what is so wrong with using pre-existing Star Wars music in the new trailer? The Special Edition Star Wars trailers are arguably some of the greatest trailers ever cut and they brilliantly used Williams scores. The Empire trailer is my favourite. Just watch and listen to how the editors cut The Imperial March to the lightsabres at the :42 mark. That's creativity. And nothing beats adding the finale of Empire's End Credits cue to any Star Wars trailer!

By the way, where is the FUN in this new trailer?! Don't get me wrong... I really enjoyed the trailer. But there is no sense of fun... just doom and gloom. Even the darkest of Star Wars films, Empire, was still fun!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Martijn wrote
    I really disliked the piano oodling at the beginning.

me too Martijn, it felt immediately out of place. The rest is rather good, but it didn't make the impact on me like for instance The Phantom Menace trailer did back then.

Ah well, as long as the film and score is good I don't care wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    The trailer music reminds me of John Ottman's modernization (aka bastardization) of John Williams' love theme in Superman Returns.

Now it's Star Wars' turn. I don't mind the use of the Star Wars themes... great... but instead of classic orchestrations we get these modern chord progressions, drums (ugh!) and EPIC choir so that the kids don't think that Star Wars is just for old folks. I'm just wondering... were people like Verta, Pearce, Boyer, Kaska, Haab, Griskey, Newmaster, etc all too busy that they had to hire a fourth rate MV/RC clone to butcher Williams' themes?

And what is so wrong with using pre-existing Star Wars music in the new trailer? The Special Edition Star Wars trailers are arguably some of the greatest trailers ever cut and they brilliantly used Williams scores. The Empire trailer is my favourite. Just watch and listen to how the editors cut The Imperial March to the lightsabres at the :42 mark. That's creativity. And nothing beats adding the finale of Empire's End Credits cue to any Star Wars trailer!

By the way, where is the FUN in this new trailer?! Don't get me wrong... I really enjoyed the trailer. But there is no sense of fun... just doom and gloom. Even the darkest of Star Wars films, Empire, was still fun!

-Erik-

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2015
    Erik Woods wrote

By the way, where is FUN in this new trailer?!

-Erik-

face-palm-mt
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't mind the lack of "fun" (as clearly they play much more on awe and nostalgia, which is just fine with me), but I couldn't agree more with Erik's points about the music.

Nothing cynical or jaded about it. I just don't think it's very good. Or even interesting. Leave alone 'unique'.
    So what?

Happy to talk extensively about the things I loved about the trailer.
    Which is everything else.

...Oh.
    That was quite brief, actually. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Ah well, as long as the film and score is good I don't care wink

smile
    Star Wars: The Trailer Wars: The Ultimate Summary. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Yeah, I agree with Erik and Timmer. Or, at least, I have mixed feelings. While it's good to see that the producers acknowledge the importance of using Williams' themes, the arrangement leaves a lot to be desired...except for that horn rendition of Luke's theme at the end, now THAT gave me chills.

Reminds me of the recent Spectre trailer. Great use of themes, not-so-good "modern" arrangement thereof.
  3. Thor wrote
    Me thinks this place is getting too cynical.

Has been for quite some time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Naaaaaaaaaah. We're still a fun lovin' bunch... we just hate crappy music! tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah man, we LOVE FUN!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I didn't like it either. I suppose that makes me a nihilist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thor wrote
    Me thinks this place is getting too cynical.

Has been for quite some time.

Well tongue to you too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I didn't like it either. I suppose that makes me a nihilist.

You're the third one not to like it, so technically you'd be a trihilist, I guess.
  4. Me, you, Timmer, Erik...methinks Steven is, if anything, a quinthilist. Whoever goes next gets to be a sexthilist, the lucky dog!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, that is an essential qualification.
    So I guess it's quintessential.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A Star Wars thread is no place for humour and flippancy! Good grief. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh you old nincompoops! Go back to the chasm from whence you came!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    slant You probably LIKED the trailer music for the original Star Wars!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    slant You probably LIKED the trailer music for the original Star Wars!

Wow, pretty intriguing....what is that; an excerpt from Vivaldi's Seasons?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Good ear, yes it is: Winter, with some added electronics and distorted choral 'Uuuuhs'.
    What were they thinking?
  5. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Really? confused
    It sounded like a pretty standard temp track to me.

YEP! And I didn't like it. Thomas Newman style piano oodlin' has no business in Star Wars either, someone done come in and near made John Williams themes sound generic. Compare with the Teaser Trailer # 2 music that melted my frigging spine.

Still, the good news is that that crap won't be in the film.

Well, should Williams himself come up with piano music in the actual score it will be interesting to see you orthodox Star Wars theologians welcoming it into the canon.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Especially in the prequels there is actually quite a lot of Williams I don't like one bit.
    I'm not interested in canon (hey, midichlorians are canon!). I *do* however know what I like. And piano oodling is not part of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, should Williams himself come up with piano music in the actual score it will be interesting to see you orthodox Star Wars theologians welcoming it into the canon.

We welcomed piano music in the Star Wars films years ago, you nincompoop.
  6. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I was of course just testing your memory.

Yes, really ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scott Glasgow, who is apparently neither Scottish nor lives in Glasgow, has this to say about the trailer music:

For those curious if the music in the new STAR WARS 7 trailer is Williams music.... well the themes are, the music is not!

Frederick Lloyd (who?.. trailer composer), arranged this music for this trailer (or so he claims on twitter). Just FYI people.

From what I have heard from the musicians who played on the Williams score, it is old school throwback traditional orchestral score like we heard in the other films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Seeing as his name is a total fraud, can we TRUST this man?

Incidentally these aren't the notes you're looking for.
  7. One of the other things I like about the trailer (not so much the use of the music) is watching all the reaction videos of other people watching the trailer. These are fun!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I really rather liked the cast reactions, especially Daisy Ridler's . love
  8. Martijn wrote
    I really rather liked the cast reactions, especially Daisy Ridler's . love

It's funny that she's in the film but doesn't see the finished trailer until it's released.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote

LOVE those pianos. punk punk punk