• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Tim, I remember a couple of places. There was one pub on a large thoroughfare where we were sat outside on benches and then there was a second place where we were sat inside. This second pub seemed to be down a back street, maybe a cul-de-sac or paved beer garden? Was it either of these?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015
    Timmer wrote
    I wouldn't normally post about being on a drunken night out in a Star Wars thread, a rare foray into Bristol city centre for me to see a friends band at the Old Duke ( James, Bregt, Bregje, Alan may remember this area from when they came to Bristol ), as I walked home I had a surreal inebriated moment of seeing a bunch of dwarves and midgets traipsing by, one of them was Warwick Davis on a Segway dizzy

Fantastic! Are you sure all you had was alcohol? I haven't had hallucinations like that since I was a kid with fever fantasies.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I wouldn't normally post about being on a drunken night out in a Star Wars thread, a rare foray into Bristol city centre for me to see a friends band at the Old Duke ( James, Bregt, Bregje, Alan may remember this area from when they came to Bristol ), as I walked home I had a surreal inebriated moment of seeing a bunch of dwarves and midgets traipsing by, one of them was Warwick Davis on a Segway dizzy

Fantastic! Are you sure all you had was alcohol? I haven't had hallucinations like that since I was a kid with fever fantasies.

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    There was one pub on a large thoroughfare where we were sat outside on benches

That's the one.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/ … s-this.jpg

The side of The Old Duke is on the left of the pic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015 edited
    Thor wrote

Ahhhhhh! I should have guessed. It all makes sense now!

And no. I wasn't on drugs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I was just gonna say: barring aforementioned drug-, alcohol- or fever-induced hallucinations, either Ricky Gervais or the ghost of Fellini were filming there, or there was a pantomine in town.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2016 edited
    It's been a couple of weeks since the premiere now, and I must admit it's been fascinating to follow the reactions around the interwebz.

Personally, I've seen the film twice and despite a couple of warts here and there, it's still my third favourite movie of the year. No doubts there.

The music is a different story. I was very critical at first, then I've warmed somewhat to it after repeated listenings. But I'm STILL critical and it didn't manage to make my Top 10 of 2015 (as previously mentioned). Yet it seems to have been embraced fully in fan circles (especially over at JWFAN). A part of me wants to pose the question if it has more to do with the 'thrill' of getting a new STAR WARS film and score from Williams, rather than a proper judgement of the actual music. But such a question would unquestionably be construed as arrogant towards the people who feel they genuinely like it.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    A part of me wants to pose the question if it has more to do with the 'thrill' of getting a new STAR WARS film and score from Williams, to the extent that it clouds a proper judgement of the actual music. But such a question would unquestionably be construed as arrogant towards the people who feel they genuinely like it.

Speaking for myself I would say just the opposite, I think the preconceived notion of what a 'Star Wars' score should be based on the previous 6 scores was a hurdle to me loving it. On the the first few listens I didn't really warm to it at all. Now that I've listened to it pretty much non stop for the last couple of weeks I think it's both a genuinely brilliant piece of music and a brilliant 'Star Wars' score. Loved the film too!
  3. It's without a doubt the most thematically dense score of the year (mixing both old and new pretty flawlessly), so that aspect of it appeals to me enormously. But I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything to a lot of people (as evidenced by the lukewarm reactions the similarly dense Hobbit scores got here); it's just why I like the score so much.

Also, when was the last time a score came out with an end titles suite as good as "The Jedi Steps and Finale"? Must have been the late 90s or something.
  4. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    It's without a doubt the most thematically dense score of the year (mixing both old and new pretty flawlessly), so that aspect of it appeals to me enormously. But I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything to a lot of people (as evidenced by the lukewarm reactions the similarly dense Hobbit scores got here); it's just why I like the score so much.

I agree but the thematic density is just one element of why I love it, it enhances and enriches every listen to the music but is not the reason, in and of itself, that I enjoy it. The thematic density in the 'Hobbit' scores did absolutely nothing for me as the music itself left me absolutely cold. After the lofty heights of the 'Lord of the Rings' scores I found the 'Hobbit' to be my biggest ever film score disappointment.
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Also, when was the last time a score came out with an end titles suite as good as "The Jedi Steps and Finale"? Must have been the late 90s or something.

Agreed, what a piece of music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    John Chambers wrote
    After the lofty heights of the 'Lord of the Rings' scores I found the 'Hobbit' to be my biggest ever film score disappointment.

On THAT we agree. Except for a couple of cues here and there, the HOBBIT scores were basically a disaster from start to finish.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

A couple of newer examples would be The Incredibles and Ratatouille (and Star Trek, in fact).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I can give you a few examples of other 2015 with dynamite end credit cues. Crimson Peak, Krampus, Bridge of Spies, San Andreas, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, Ant-Man, and Far from the Madding Crowd.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I guess Edmund means properly recorded suites rather than just good end credit cues? I'm not sure all of those apply, though they all have excellent end credit tracks.
  6. There may have been more creative scores in 2015 given the fact that Williams had to act within the musical definitions of the franchise. On the other hand he brings so much new to the table without compromising the musical integrity of the Star Wars galaxy! What also amazes me, is that Williams manages to keep up with this high a standard for the seventh time. This outshines Jerry Goldsmith's contribution to the Star Trek franchise IMO.

Thor, I just try to imagine a Star Wars score album - no longer than 40 minutes, mind you - that refrains from any bombast. freezing wink

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don't encourage him. There's only so far our collective patience can stretch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor, I just try to imagine a Star Wars score album - no longer than 40 minutes, mind you - that refrains from any bombast. freezing wink

Thor's favourite piece of TFA is Snoke.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No, my favourite is "Rey's Theme" (as it is for most everyone else). But "Snoke" is among the more interesting tracks on the album. It's mostly the action music that I have issues with.

Thor, I just try to imagine a Star Wars score album - no longer than 40 minutes, mind you - that refrains from any bombast.

Sounds fantastic! I want it now!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Thor wrote
    The music is a different story. I was very critical at first, then I've warmed somewhat to it after repeated listenings. But I'm STILL critical and it didn't manage to make my Top 10 of 2015 (as previously mentioned). Yet it seems to have been embraced fully in fan circles (especially over at JWFAN).

A John Williams score has been embraced at JWFAN? That is SHOCKING. :p
  7. Edmund Meinerts wrote

Well said. Those end credits are phenomenal.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2016
    One thing that really stands out is that in the entire album - just under one hour twenty five minutes when adding in some of the FYC extras - there's not a single dull moment. I'd never have thought such a long run time could contain so much good music and maintain my interest. There are tracks I'll listen to more than others, but there's nothing I could bring myself to remove.
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I can give you a few examples of other 2015 with dynamite end credit cues. Crimson Peak, Krampus, Bridge of Spies, San Andreas, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, Ant-Man, and Far from the Madding Crowd.

I thank you for saying something nice about an Andrew Lockington score. smile

But a lot of those are only a couple minutes long, with the rest of the credits likely padded out with tracked cues and/or songs...whereas Williams fills up all, what, eight minutes of end titles with a beautifully composed, beautifully structured summary of the score that's wholly distinct from the concert arrangements of the same themes (except for March of the Resistance). He didn't even do that for the prequels!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The concert arrangements for the prequels ARE the end title pieces. Actually, the less we talk about the terrible ROTS end credits the better.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    The concert arrangements for the prequels ARE the end title pieces. Actually, the less we talk about the terrible ROTS end credits the better.

I guess, but in that case it makes ZERO sense to me that those end credits were included on the official albums alongside the concert suites when that room could have been used to include unreleased music.

Totally with you on Revenge of the Sith though. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The concert suites are there to introduce the major themes of the score to the listener... the AVERAGE listener. Williams has been doing this forever.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I LOVE the Sith end credits. What's wrong with it?
  10. Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It's a serenade of themes tucked together without much integration. I want the film version released on CD. I in turn love the end credits suite from "Clones". I put it at the end of my prequel playlist. The great love theme is there and the Imperial March which makes for a great bridge to the OT.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    The concert suites are there to introduce the major themes of the score to the listener... the AVERAGE listener. Williams has been doing this forever.

Right...but if the concert suites are practically identical to the end credits then there's no point putting both on the album.

The problem with the Sith end credits, Steven, is that it just parades a ton of music we've already heard with barely any variation at all. The Throne Room especially - what was the point of having that at the end of Revenge of the Sith? It makes no sense! I mean, I get that they were kind of trying to transition everything into A New Hope by regurgitating the concert suites from that film, but it's done so inorganically. And it's just wasted space on disc. They could have put ten minutes of unreleased music on that CD instead. The full opening battle, for instance...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

The inclusion of Princess Leia's concert suite and the Throne Room concert suite with Battle of the Heroes sandwiched in between makes ZERO SENSE. Where is Grievous' Theme? Throw in some Anakin's Dark Deeds and you'd have an end credit suite that makes sense for Revenge of the Sith.

-Erik-