• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2016 edited
    I'm less perturbed by what "makes sense" in this instance, especially as I have no personal connection to the films they were written for. I care that it sounds good, which I think it does. I nerd rage about plenty of other things (the films themselves in fact), but this I'm happy with.
  1. Doesn't the redundancy of it bother you?
  2. If he disconnects the scores from the films, as he admits, then why would the redundancy bother him? It is a well-composed suite, sounds coherent as a separate piece, too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2016
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It is a well-composed suite, sounds coherent as a separate piece, too.

IMO, it's not.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I care a LOT about the films and the truly jarring, inexplicable placement bothers the HELL out of me.
    It's like hearing the Children's Crusade at the end of Crystal Skull. Or a rendition of We Have All The Time In The World at the end of Quantum Of Solace.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Martijn wrote

I care a LOT about the films.

You do?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    I care a LOT about the films and the truly jarring, inexplicable placement bothers the HELL out of me.
    It's like hearing the Children's Crusade at the end of Crystal Skull. Or a rendition of We Have All The Time In The World at the end of Quantum Of Solace.

Bin-FUCKING-go!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    If he disconnects the scores from the films, as he admits, then why would the redundancy bother him? It is a well-composed suite, sounds coherent as a separate piece, too.

yeah

It's a damn fine addition to the Star Wars musical world. Could there have been a more appropriate arrangement for the film? Sure, I guess. Do I care? Nope. It sounds great, gets me air-conducting every time, and I love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ IMO, it's a waste of 12 minutes of disc space and is one of laziest things Williams has ever done.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Martijn wrote

I care a LOT about the films.

You do?

It's been observed, from time to time.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ IMO, it's a waste of 12 minutes of disc space and is one of laziest things Williams has ever done.

It's a miracle he managed to write anything given the films. Gift, horse, mouth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

love

Sign me up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    I'm less perturbed by what "makes sense" in this instance, especially as I have no personal connection to the films they were written for. I care that it sounds good, which I think it does. I nerd rage about plenty of other things (the films themselves in fact), but this I'm happy with.

I agree with Steven (imagine that!). I don't care diddly-squat about music "making sense" in a filmatic sense on album (meaning the themes' filmatic application). The only thing that matters is that it flows well in a purely musical sense, and I've never had any issues with the "End Credits" on any of the STAR WARS soundtracks. They all flow well. Even the new one, despite the abundance of whimsicality.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I don't care diddly-squat about music "making sense" in a filmatic sense on album (meaning the themes' filmatic application). The only thing that matters is that it flows well in a purely musical sense,...

No shit!

-Erik-
  4. What the bleep is "whimsical" about the score of TFA? Just as well you could call Mozart's overture of The Magic Flute whimsical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Rey's theme can be quite whimsical, as well as heroic. The whole score has a youthful exuberance that was perhaps missing from the prequel scores (especially the third one). I've made some nitpicks about it, but I think I've been talking out of my arse. It's just brilliant, and a GREAT addition to the Star Wars scores. It's unique among them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm not going to comment on this score again.
  5. The prequel scores reflect on loss ,decline, betrayal and death. It's Nibelungen in Space. Dark romantic melancholy. I love them with a passion. Very German maybe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    What the bleep is "whimsical" about the score of TFA? Just as well you could call Mozart's overture of The Magic Flute whimsical.

'Whimsical', the way I mean it, is that it's rather schizophrenic, jumping around each part of the orchestra. Lots of rhytmical things, but very little to hold on to. Maybe the word has a different meaning in English than what I thought.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    The prequel scores reflect on loss ,decline, betrayal and death. It's Nibelungen in Space. Dark romantic melancholy. I love them with a passion. Very German maybe.

I love them too. You'd be mad not to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Coruscant chase cue from the second score is another one that, bafflingly, gets a lot of hate (or maybe that's just Erik wink ). It's fucking awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't hate the Coruscant Chase. I love it. I love that it has a disticnt motivic hook in it as well. I hated the Asteroid Field music from that film. vomit Actually, I don't much like the majority of that score minus and handful of cues.

-Erik-
  6. Is that the one with the Stratocaster? I think that irks him. I believe Williams used a Moog synth in Jedi. I'm fine with that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    I don't hate the Coruscant Chase. I love it. I love that it has a disticnt motivic hook in it as well. I hated the Asteroid Field music from that film. vomit Actually, I don't much like the majority of that score minus and handful of cues.

-Erik-

Oh. Perhaps it was the Asteroid one I recall then? Still, my comments apply to that cue too. It's great. How one can hate that cue, let alone a Williams fan, is beyond me!
  7. Steven wrote
    It's a damn fine addition to the Star Wars musical world.

But it doesn't actually add anything! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It does when I listen to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Oh. Perhaps it was the Asteroid one I recall then? Still, my comments apply to that cue too. It's great. How one can hate that cue, let alone a Williams fan, is beyond me!

It's not focused. It's boring... like the scene it was composed for. It goofy. There's ZERO danger or drama in the music. It's Williams noodling around with the orchestra and creating something without any substance. sleep

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    If he disconnects the scores from the films, as he admits, then why would the redundancy bother him? It is a well-composed suite, sounds coherent as a separate piece, too.

yeah

It's a damn fine addition to the Star Wars musical world. Could there have been a more appropriate arrangement for the film? Sure, I guess. Do I care? Nope. It sounds great, gets me air-conducting every time, and I love it!

Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

While I see both sides of the argument here, remember that this was - at the time - thought to be the last piece of Star Wars music Williams was going to write. The fact that it brings back some of the best bits from Star Wars doesn't bother me at all, though yes - the inclusion of the Grevious theme would have been nice. My least favourite part of that end credits track is the Battle Of The Heroes section!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's not focused. It's boring... like the scene it was composed for. It goofy. There's ZERO danger or drama in the music. It's Williams noodling around with the orchestra and creating something without any substance. sleep

You're probably right. Still, Williams noodling around with the orchestra is not the worse thing you can listen to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2016
    Anthony wrote
    ...remember that this was - at the time - thought to be the last piece of Star Wars music Williams was going to write...

That's how I've always viewed it. A final finale. (At the risk of back-peddling my 'I care not about context' comment.)