• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2016
    I'll be honest - I've never been a big fan of RoTS. It's my least favourite Star Wars score, but I stuck the CD in while driving to see The Force Awakens, and the end credits version of the Throne Room and the epic version of the Force theme blew me away. I'd completely forgotten about that track.
  1. Anthony wrote
    Remember that this was - at the time - thought to be the last piece of Star Wars music Williams was going to write.

That just makes it even more disappointing, if you ask me! Way to go out on a whimper rather than a bang.

If I wanted to hear The Throne Room and the concert version of Leia's theme then I'd listen to A New Hope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    The prequel scores reflect on loss ,decline, betrayal and death. It's Nibelungen in Space. Dark romantic melancholy.

I sense a disturbance in the Force.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I finally saw the remake of STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE

I enjoyed it, good not great IMO. Same goes for the score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2016 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    If he disconnects the scores from the films, as he admits, then why would the redundancy bother him? It is a well-composed suite, sounds coherent as a separate piece, too.

yeah

It's a damn fine addition to the Star Wars musical world. Could there have been a more appropriate arrangement for the film? Sure, I guess. Do I care? Nope. It sounds great, gets me air-conducting every time, and I love it!

Erik Woods wrote
    ^ IMO, it's a waste of 12 minutes of disc space and is one of laziest things Williams has ever done.

-Erik-

While I see both sides of the argument here, remember that this was - at the time - thought to be the last piece of Star Wars music Williams was going to write. The fact that it brings back some of the best bits from Star Wars doesn't bother me at all, though yes - the inclusion of the Grevious theme would have been nice. My least favourite part of that end credits track is the Battle Of The Heroes section!

I don't care if it was supposed to be the last piece of Star Wars music heard. Did Williams bring back themes from Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back during the end credits of Jedi? No... of course not. But that was supposed to be the last Star Wars film as well.

Sorry... ROTS credits suck! The conducting and performance is even weak.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wow. Weird to read such harsh words about something that is so inherently brilliant.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. By that logic you could just loop "Throne Room" and "Princess Leia" all through the entire Force Awakens film and that would be superior to the score we got because the music is "inherently brilliant".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's not quite the same. This is a single track that happens to have those themes in it. They're great themes. We enjoy hearing them. I care not whether they are appropriate for the context. You seem to struggle on this point. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Exactly. I would have understood it if, say, the music suddenly went from disco to metal to polka to orchestral music without any rhyme or reason. Then it wouldn't make musical sense. But I couldn't care less if the theme represents, say, Luke's green sock in the movie or whatever.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    The conducting and performance is even weak.
    -Erik-

I disagree, I think it's the best performance of the extended 'Throne Room' cue out there, as close to a concert version of the 'Force' theme as we've ever got. I've got three other versions of it, the Gerhardt and Skywalker Symphony performances on CD and the Gustavo Dudamel concert on Blu-Ray, are there any others?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Cincinnati Pops performance of The Throne Room blows every other recording and performance out of the water. And Gerhardt's version of Princess Leia's theme is, IMO, the most passionate performance of the theme ever recorded.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Anthony wrote
    I'll be honest - I've never been a big fan of RoTS. It's my least favourite Star Wars score, but I stuck the CD in while driving to see The Force Awakens, and the end credits version of the Throne Room and the epic version of the Force theme blew me away. I'd completely forgotten about that track.

The biggest disappointment of RotS is the soundtrack release. The complete score is really amazing but there's so much great music that's unreleased.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't get what you guys are on about. REVENGE OF THE SITH is a fine film and an even better soundtrack album. Perhaps not quite as good as PHANTOM MENACE, but better than ATTACK OF THE CLONES.

Then again, it's all good, so these are just degrees of excellence.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    REVENGE OF THE SITH is a fine film...

You had to go and ruin it, didn't you? We finally agreed on something, and then you ruined everything! EVERYTHING!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lol
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I mean angry
  4. Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    REVENGE OF THE SITH is a fine film...

You had to go and ruin it, didn't you? We finally agreed on something, and then you ruined everything! EVERYTHING!

We NEVER agreed on that bleeping bashing nonsense angry !!!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I don't get what you guys are on about. REVENGE OF THE SITH is a fine film and an even better soundtrack album.

The film is okay. It's the only tolerable prequel film.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    So the Throne Room/Force theme part of the ROTS credits is clearly just a re-recording of a concert suite - it's the same as the Kunzel album. But what/where is the original recording of that version?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    I don't get what you guys are on about. REVENGE OF THE SITH is a fine film and an even better soundtrack album.

Yup.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    So the Throne Room/Force theme part of the ROTS credits is clearly just a re-recording of a concert suite - it's the same as the Kunzel album. But what/where is the original recording of that version?

There is no original recording of the Throne Room concert suite. The first recorded version of the concert suite might have been Gerhardt's recording with the National Philharmonic.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Yup.

Ian McDiarmid rules!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I thought he was one of the most cringing aspects of an already cringe-worthy film. His spitting performance seemed to work in Jedi, but in Sith it seemed very forced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ....forced. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ian was really good in all the prequels until the "No.... no... you will die" and "unlimited power" bullshit. Once he turned into the Emperor is was pure cheese ball.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like the prequels. All of them. Warts and all. 'SW prequel hating' has almost become a sport. I never bought in to all of that.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    To be fair, I think the only way to salvage a line like "UNLIMITED POWER!!!!" is to completely go nuts with it, especially in the context of a big battle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    No... it's not a sport. I, and everyone else, don't hate the prequels just because it's the cool thing to do.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Josh B wrote
    To be fair, I think the only way to salvage a line like "UNLIMITED POWER!!!!" is to completely go nuts with it, especially in the context of a big battle.

Or instead of green lighting the first draft do a few re-writes and get those awful lines out of the screenplay BEFORE shooting.

-Erik-
  5. Isn't that, what de Dark Side is all about? Unlimited power? Creating life, becoming immortal, godlike?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.