• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Really? confused
    It sounded like a pretty standard temp track to me.

YEP! And I didn't like it. Thomas Newman style piano oodlin' has no business in Star Wars either, someone done come in and near made John Williams themes sound generic. Compare with the Teaser Trailer # 2 music that melted my frigging spine.

Still, the good news is that that crap won't be in the film.

Piano oodlin? Wow. rolleyes
  2. Check out the trailer, re-scored. My my, what an improvement ! punk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff0QZ9-YM4E
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2015
    JESUS H. NEGATIVE POWERCOUPLING GYRO-SWIVVELING CHRIST!!!

THIS, THIS IS MY STAR WARS!

I...I...I'm fucking hyperventilating here!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2015
    Yeah, that. That's a Star Wars trailer.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2015
    How exactly did they make that I wonder?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2015 edited
    Anthony wrote
    How exactly did they make that I wonder?

Yeah, I'm curious too. Did they edit material from the existing SW scores? Did they re-record using some high end sampling libraries (sounds acoustic, though)? I can't believe they hired an orchestra for this....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2015
    There's been a lot of discussion about this over at the VI Control forum. Not sure if they've gotten to the bottom of it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, there's a little follow-up film available where you can see the bloke getting the stuff out of his keyboard. so it's fairly simple, I'd say: high quality sound samples, some proper compositorial chops and knowing your instrument and its width and limitations.

's not rocket science. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow. That was awesome! shocked cheesy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2015
    John Williams reacts to the trailer music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2015 edited
    Steven wrote

Saw that two days ago. Inane and stupid. But the new trailer music thingie is still brilliant.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Actually, it's not stupid.

Ok, the editing of that video is awful and the jokes aren't funny but showing us that in less than a minute ANYONE can spit out generic, garbage trailer music (which has been plaguing most of these Force Awaken trailers) is DEAD ON accurate!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    They've plagued trailers for what seems like decades. Are people only waking up to this shit now that it's infecting His-Holiness John Williams Star Wars scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. How did they manage to delete the trailer music while keeping the dialogue?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    How did they manage to delete the trailer music while keeping the dialogue?

You can do a center channel extraction, which will capture dialogue, yet still have some of the music and effects. Then when they edited the video, the new music was mixed much louder to mask any leaked sound effects and music from the official trailer.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote

You can do a center channel extraction, which will capture dialogue, yet still have some of the music and effects. Then when they edited the video, the new music was mixed much louder to mask any leaked sound effects and music from the official trailer.

-Erik-

The marvels of technology. Thanks, Erik!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Actually, it's not stupid.

Ok, the editing of that video is awful and the jokes aren't funny but showing us that in less than a minute ANYONE can spit out generic, garbage trailer music (which has been plaguing most of these Force Awaken trailers) is DEAD ON accurate!

-Erik-

True, but then I wish they'd demonstrated that in a less inane fashion. A serious breakdown of trailer music trends and how they're made would have been fascinating.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

Saw that two days ago. Inane and stupid. But the new trailer music thingie is still brilliant.

Admittedly I haven't even seen it yet. I just saw that a couple of well respected composers endorsed it on facebook.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote

-Erik-

Or one could get his hands on the stem tracks, each holding separate elements for mixing, like they do in Hollywood.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. I would think Star Wars source material is guarded like the gold in Fort Knox.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2015
    Came back from the film a couple of hours ago. Some first impressions here:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … 763#bottom
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    angry I'm not gonna click that. Are you LOOKING to get kille....banned? kill
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    angry I'm not gonna click that. Are you LOOKING to get kille....banned? kill

He, he. There are NO spoilers there (only very general remarks), but if you want to be TOTALLY fresh, it's perhaps best not to click it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2015 edited
    I've pasted the comments here, and although there are NO spoilers, I've put them in spoiler tags nonetheless:

[spoiler]OK, I'm back from the film.

These are my SPOILER-FREE remarks (I'm embargoed untill tomorrow, but wouldn't have said anything with spoilers anyway!):

First of all, the film is VERY "old school". J. J. delivers totally on that, as he promised. Yes, there is CGI (a couple of CGI moments and creatures stick out a bit, in a negative way), but it doesn't detract from the overall impression.

Although you could argue that the core story is basically a variation on the original NEW HOPE story (I won't say anything else), everything about the universe is as physical and present as in the original trilogy. I buy ALL the locations, and most of the locations are a natural, 30-year extension of the originals.

Following the adventures with our original heroes is great, but I was actually surprised by how much I engaged with the new characters, especially Rey.

Action setpieces were spectacular (as expected), the down-tempo stuff was usually engrossing, the photography wonderful, BB-8 was as cute and endeaering as the trailers suggest.

There are some BIG moments in the film, but if I say anything about these moments being "sad" or "happy", you'll be able to deduce the outcome. So I won't.

I think that's about as much as I can say for now.

About the music:

First of all, I was a BIT disappointed by the score. The keyword here, I think, is "whimsical". There's a LOT of rhytmic and energetic stuff with all the usual Williams trademarks, but if you want thematic setpieces like a "The Asteroid Field" or "The Forest Battle" or whatever, you won't find it. In fact, the most striking theme was the "rebel" theme (also in the way it appeared in the film). In that case, it has a lot in common with INDY 4.

Rey's theme had some nice renditions -- especially of the more pastoral kind (an extension of what you heard in the TV spot) when she is first introduced.

Finn's theme and Kylo Ren's theme are more motivic than thematic, IMO.

A big treat was the appearance of the original themes -- they're almost used more extensively than in the first six films. The "Force" theme appearances were undoubtedly those that made the biggest impression.

There is dark choral music for one particular scene, but it's not in the big, overt "Duel of the Fates" kind. More like the choral music for Palpatine in REVENGE OF THE SITH.

To be fair, I think the music will fare much better on album. At least I hope so. It's mixed fairly high in the film, but there's still a lot getting lost in the sound mix.
    [/spoiler]
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Came back from the film a couple of hours ago. Some first impressions here:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … 763#bottom

Thor wrote:

...however, especially given my tinnitus, I wasn't too pleased that they decided to leave the temp tracks from various Zimmer scores in pivotal scenes (particularly when it was revealed that BB-8 is in fact the reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker).

I agree. But hearing the Joker's theme in those space battles was pretty cool, as I'm sure Martijn will agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha, ha....clever!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    OK, first laugh-out-loud of the day.
    Thanks Stew! smile
  7. When my mother, who has never been interested in anything science fiction, saw the news today, she instantly fell in love with BB-8.

smile Volker
  8. According to someone over at FSM:

"Amazon accidentally released this to (some?) Prime users who had pre-ordered the mp3 version overnight last night, so now everyone across the whole internet has it. So if you don't want to read details about the score until after you've heard your copy of the CD, be careful when browsing until then!"

Oh dear!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn