• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    According to someone over at FSM:

"Amazon accidentally released this to (some?) Prime users who had pre-ordered the mp3 version overnight last night, so now everyone across the whole internet has it. So if you don't want to read details about the score until after you've heard your copy of the CD, be careful when browsing until then!"

Oh dear!

Sorry to hear that.

I'll probably be buying this in two rounds. First the iTunes version on Friday, and then the CD after that.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Amazon seems to be a repeat offender when it comes to giving things away prematurely. Usually it's details of an upcoming CD release but this seems to be a major mistake for them that's probably one of the highest profile gaffs for them.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Three more hours! Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Three more hours! Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy!

The new Anjelina Jolie / Brad Pitt flick no doubt.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyno.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm regretting booking tickets for the 27th
    This is going to be a looooong wait.
  2. 18th. Friday afternoon.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. I will hold out for the blu-ray. cool

Persist I will... the force is strong with me.

I hope.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2015 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    I will hold out for the blu-ray. cool

If you want to see it in 2D you may have to.
    (I would have prefered it, as 3D tends to give me a headache -and I have a throbbing one now-, but there's just no way NOT to see it in 3D. And the very idea of waiting for a DVD release is frankly....well, NOT the way of the Jedi! )

I will keep my peace on the film proper, from which I have just returned (and I'm glad I saw it in the cinema on opening night: there was a VERY good Star Wars vibe!)

For the rest let's just say for now I agree with every.single.word Thor has written on this on the previous page.

And I will go again day after tomorrow.
    Just because Star Wars.
  4. Martijn wrote
    If you want to see it in 2D you may have to.
    (I would have prefered it, as 3D tends to give me a headache -and I have a throbbing one now-, but there's just no way NOT to see it in 3D.

Unfortunately I'm having the same experience. Fuck 3D. Seriously. You can make movies in 3D but do not force people who don't want to to go see it like that (and pay extra money for the privilege, too!). That's like if a railway company were to run trains with only first class coaches. It's cynical money-grabbing bullshit.

soapbox
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2015
    Does anyone else find that 3D seems to contract the screen?
    I always feel the screen seems smaller than regular movies.

Or is this just my imagination?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2015
    Martijn wrote

I don't have that with theatrical 3D films, but I do have that same experience when watching a 3D film at home. You're a lot more aware of the edges of the screen, and I always feel like I'm watching miniature people with their little cars and small houses. Weird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2015
    Martijn wrote

Sometimes. But not in this case. The problem was that my brain never properly adjusted, so I had a terrible headache afterwards.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Saw the film today, was an incredible and moving experience watching it. Need to let it all sink in a bit more (and another viewing or two...) before I really know how I feel about it but it's a beautifully crafted piece of cinema.

The score worked beautifully in context, can't wait to get my hands on the cd tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    John Chambers wrote
    Saw the film today, was an incredible and moving experience watching it. Need to let it all sink in a bit more (and another viewing or two...) before I really know how I feel about it but it's a beautifully crafted piece of cinema.

ISN'T it just, though? love
    Fully agree with your words, John!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ken Loach's Star Wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSSFNhF4HSk#t=209
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    That's well mint, that!
    Especially like the main theme!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    I liked the movie a lot. Score worked very well in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Ken Loach's Star Wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSSFNhF4HSk#t=209

Ken Burns' Star Wars
    http://wapo.st/1mczNxe
  6. I have to let it all sink in. I loved the score in context. Didn't listen to it on album yet. The film ... I have so sleep over it. I'm not really exited.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor and I stand united and shall not be moved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2015 edited
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

Sometimes. But not in this case. The problem was that my brain never properly adjusted, so I had a terrible headache afterwards.

Yeah, had the same problem. The problem I feel is J.J. Abrams' refusal to film digital. Now I'm all for filming on film, but 3D is a digital medium. It's now filmed in that glorious classic film-style and then converted to 3D which only really works for FX shots (because that can be specifically created for the format), but in regular filmed scenes it just doesn't work. I experienced the same thing with Abrams' Star Trek: Into Darkness 3D.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2015 edited
    By the way, loved the film! I think J.J. struck a perfect balance between retro old-school and modern (man, the whole Jim Jenson Creature Shop seems to be walking around there, which was awesome!). The film was also incredibly funny, but never too much so.

I also really like the direction John Williams went with the score. Instead of giving us another (or trying to top) Duel of the Fates or Battle of the Heroes, he went for a less showy, non-choral score that is more classically orchestral, which for me was refreshing and in keeping with the rest of the film. Maybe not something we're accustomed to now that every score needs to be epic in scope and a choir seems to be a must for any blockbuster, but it's good to have a score that's more thematically driven, and I'm sure it's a score that'll reveal its themes (and, as such, worth) on further listens (already I'm hearing a lot milder responses from people that have heard it multiple times now - let it sink in before you judge, or before you feel the need to rank it among the other Star Wars scores - it's a SW score already, but just a different approach).
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2015
    The score is a grower but that has its downsides. A very common refrain from people leaving the theater is that the music was disappointing and unmemorable. I went into the movie with a lot of familiarity with the music (especially its themes) so I feel I was able to get the most out of it in context but the new themes are relatively subtle (in comparison to the OT ones) so I can understand why people were let down.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Josh B wrote
    A very common refrain from people leaving the theater is that the music was disappointing and unmemorable

You went to a showing where a good number of people leaving the theatre discussed the score? Wow!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ha! What nerds...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Pathetic nerds. I'm sure they didn't even had their lightsabres set to the proper colour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Purple lightsabers are to be shot on site.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015
    I wouldn't normally post about being on a drunken night out in a Star Wars thread, a rare foray into Bristol city centre for me to see a friends band at the Old Duke ( James, Bregt, Bregje, Alan may remember this area from when they came to Bristol ), as I walked home I had a surreal inebriated moment of seeing a bunch of dwarves and midgets traipsing by, one of them was Warwick Davis on a Segway dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015
    Seriously?!!! Awesome! shocked