• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2016
    Yes... but we get that. Having Palpy scream it out is corn ball goofiness that makes his character look like a fucking tool. And his *sigh* afterward was one of the most unintentionally funny things I've ever seen.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oooonce mmmmoore, the Sith will ruuuule the Galaxy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have no problem with McDiarmid in the prequels. If anything he *makes* them (I only wish we'd seen *more* of him). What I can't really relate is his psychotic reaction to the cool, contained, calculating Emperor in Jedi.

Anyway, my preference -as I stated before- would have been for Menace and Clones to have been relegated to a ten minute summary at the fore of Revenge, which is the *only* one of the prequels that actually has anything meaningful and relevant to say about the saga.

Oh well.

I still enjoy the soundtrack album a lot. Easily the best of the prequels, Throne Room/Leia gaffe and all.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2016 edited
    The editing on the soundtrack - especially that opening cue - is just atrocious, however. sad
  1. Well, maybe I'm reading too much into this but my perception is quite different. I' link this scene to the duel between Luke and Vader in EMPIRE. "With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy." For Vader power still serves a purpose, even if his vision of peace has become the quiet of the graveyard. For Palpatine it's just might is right. That's why Luke still senses good in Vader. He is the deceived idealist. Something that the prequels depict quite well.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2016
    Erik Woods wrote
    No... it's not a sport. I, and everyone else, don't hate the prequels just because it's the cool thing to do.

-Erik-

Meh.

LONG LIVE THE PREQUELS (and their original soundtrack albums)!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2016 edited
    Thor wrote
    Meh.

LONG LIVE THE PREQUELS

NO!!!!!

Thor wrote
    (and their original soundtrack albums)!

YES!!!!!!! well, sort of... AOTC kinda stinks.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Captain Future wrote
    Something that the prequels depict quite well.

No they don't! Anakin doesn't give a shit about bringing order to the galaxy. All he ever cares about is using his powers to save his squeeze (whom he then proceeds to force-choke, yes, well done).
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2016
    Erik Woods wrote
    Josh B wrote
    To be fair, I think the only way to salvage a line like "UNLIMITED POWER!!!!" is to completely go nuts with it, especially in the context of a big battle.

Or instead of green lighting the first draft do a few re-writes and get those awful lines out of the screenplay BEFORE shooting.

-Erik-

Yes but that would require George Lucas understanding the difference between good and bad dialogue.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    The Cincinnati Pops performance of The Throne Room blows every other recording and performance out of the water. And Gerhardt's version of Princess Leia's theme is, IMO, the most passionate performance of the theme ever recorded.

-Erik-

Cool, I'll have to check that out, I don't have a huge amount of the Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops stuff. Is it the version on this album?:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00000 … ROKL5A1OLE

I also see there are a couple of follow up albums, 'Star Tracks' and 'Star Tracks II', aware they worth a listen?
  4. As far as I am concerned every Kunzel is worth a listen. I like the "Star Tracks" CDs a lot. I especially recommend:

- Hollywood's Greatest Hits (I+II)
    - Happy Trails
    - Round Up
    - Fantastic Journey
    - The Great Adventure Album
    - Beautiful Hollywood

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2016
    John Chambers wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    The Cincinnati Pops performance of The Throne Room blows every other recording and performance out of the water. And Gerhardt's version of Princess Leia's theme is, IMO, the most passionate performance of the theme ever recorded.

-Erik-

Cool, I'll have to check that out, I don't have a huge amount of the Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops stuff. Is it the version on this album?:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00000 … ROKL5A1OLE

I also see there are a couple of follow up albums, 'Star Tracks' and 'Star Tracks II', aware they worth a listen?

Yes, yes and yes!

-Erik-

PS - Star Tracks came before Time Warp and Star Tracks II.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    As far as I am concerned every Kunzel is worth a listen. I like the "Star Tracks" CDs a lot.

The last half dozen or so Kunzel film music albums are poorly recorded. Quite disappointing since Kunzel and Telarc were pioneers in audiophile recordings.

-Erik-
  5. What would be the best recording of the Imperial March? I don't think I've heard any not conducted by the man himself.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    As far as I am concerned every Kunzel is worth a listen. I like the "Star Tracks" CDs a lot.

The last half dozen or so Kunzel film music albums are poorly recorded. Quite disappointing since Kunzel and Telarc were pioneers in audiophile recordings.

-Erik-

Funnily enough I'm listening right now to Vintage Cinema (2008) and I intend to follow it up with Masters and Commanders (2007). Both of these are a bit subpar compared with the pristine sounding recordings of the 80s and 90s. I have to increase the treble, where I normally never need to do that.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What would be the best recording of the Imperial March? I don't think I've heard any not conducted by the man himself.

Varujan Kojian and the Utah Symphony!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0cpRam … e=youtu.be

Fair nuff! But cgi Yoda can NEVER be forgiven.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A few flowers in a river of shit doesn't make the river smell much better.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was just tipping my hat, those films have not been forgiven.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Me too! I also quite like the designs of the worlds and the ships. Some great artistry was wasted on these films.
  7. Some great music, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    And Williams gets his 50th nomination for this!

Cool.

I'm not sure I agree that it's deserved, but I was rooting for him nonetheless. 50 is such a milestone.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I hope Williams wins. It'll be so nice to have a large-scale thematic score for a genre film being acknowledged again, the last one was Return of the King 12 years ago.

Failing that, I hope it's Morricone. The score may not be his best (or in his top 100, and how many composers can you say that about?), but this is probably the Academy's last chance not to have the reputation of ignoring a legend for over fifty years, and I wouldn't be surprised if they took it.

Sicario is the only one that would really irritate me if it won.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Some great music, too.

Well, yes. But that's sort of a given...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2016 edited
    Morricone will win.

Timmer wrote
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0cpRam … e=youtu.be

Fair nuff! But cgi Yoda can NEVER be forgiven.

Seeing those prequel sets reminds me how un-Star Wars-y those films actually are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote

Seeing those prequel sets reminds me how un-Star Wars-y those films actually are.

yeah I had the exact same thought today. punk

(Besties!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. They look like Star Wars to the power of ten. I utterly love the aesthetics of these films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Morricone will win.

I don't think he will and if I were a betting man then I'd be putting quite a lot on Sicario at 15/1:

http://www.nicerodds.co.uk/academy-awar … inal-score
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2016 edited
    I'm actually 99% certain that SICARIO will win. That should have the lowest odds, not the highest.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall