• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008 edited
    From Lukas Kendall:

Hi Folks,

Here's the latest. The box is going to take another month in manufacturing. Sorry. It's the same packaging as the Elmer box and the book has to be hand-bound and we're at the mercy of the specialized company that does it.

We can't announce it yet for reasons stated before: If there's a pre-order placed with Screen Archives and 30 days elapse, SAE has to manually enter the credit card information when the item finally ships. When the item finally arrives, it's an all-weekend nightmare for them to process the orders. Having run a soundtrack mail order operation when we did our sales in-house a few years ago (which wasn't nearly on the scale of SAE), I know first-hand the frustration and craziness that results when the phone starts ringing and people want to place orders for an item you can't sell yet. It's madness and we need to spare Craig and his staff.

I also want to spare all of you kind folks, so we have decided to reveal this info:

It is what you think it is. The composer has a birthday next month. (The composer is living.) The franchise that the box set represents has a big birthday next month. (The franchise is living...for the most part.) My coproducer on this project is Mike Matessino. Read between the lines, OK? 8CDs, 160 pp. book, $119.95.

There will be a first pressing of 3,000 box sets so we certainly want to sell as many asap as we can, but there is little likelihood of it selling out instantaneously.

Please, hang in there, and thanks.

Lukas

John Williams is still alive, his brithday is in February, the Superman characer turns 70 and the film franchise is 30.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well, everything points to Superman, indeed. But the first film was released in America in december of 1978, which means this clue:

Erik Woods wrote
    The franchise that the box set represents has a big birthday next month.

...isn't fully correct, since that big birthday of the franchise is only at the end of this year. Still, there's a lot that points to Superman! And it seems like a huge release indeed!

EDIT: JWfan is very convinced it is Superman, though wink

FSM to Release Complete 'Superman' Scores
    Wednesday, 23 January 2008

Next February, FSM will release the complete, remastered scores to the four Superman movies starring Christopher Reeve: John Williams’ Superman – The Movie (1978) -with improved sound quality-, Ken Thorne’s adaptations for Superman II (1980) & Superman III (1983) from original material by John Williams, and Alexander Courage’s Superman IV - The Quest for Peace (1987), which featured two new John Williams themes composed for the film. The Superman Blue Box set, co-produced by Lukas Kendall and Mike Matessino, will contain 8 discs and a 160-page hardcover illustrated book, at a price of $119.95. An official announcement will be made soon.

Source: http://www.jwfan.com/index.php?option=c … p;Itemid=1
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008
    I love Lukas and his efforts to death, and I think the Elmer Box was one of the very best things to ever hit the soundtrack community, but if the blue box is what you think it is, I'll be passing on it.

All I really need of the Superman saga (i.e. Superman: The Movie) I have... in several formats and editions. I know that Superman II is a holy grail for many collectors, though, so I'm certainly hoping this will sell well!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BTW, Martijn, you will be getting a better sounding Superman score. Remember, a few months after the Rhino set was released producers of the DVD found better masters and used those for the iso-score on the DVD. And I tell ya, the new master sound as if the score was recorded yesterday. Absolutely incredible. So, while I don't really care for the sequel scores... it will be nice to have them... I am thinking about plopping down my hard earned cash for the remastered Superman score. I know, $199.95 just for one score but I will give the other 3 (and I think that they will include Ottman's score as well) a chance.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hmmmm? I can't see at the moment what else it could be, but 8 ( E - I - G - H - T ) CD's of Superman!? shocked

What are they going to fill it up with besides the movies? TV episodes, the cartoons?

I'm hoping it's going to be something else and everybody can't see the wood for the trees.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I'm hoping it'll be something else too, but I don't really know what... It's just that Superman doesn't do anything to me smile

The evidence is really strong, though, especially with the notification of JWfan.net. And they list it'll contain the music of 4 of the Supes films, which would mean 2 discs per film, which isn't that unusual.
  1. Martijn wrote
    All I really need of the Superman saga (i.e. Superman: The Movie) I have... in several formats and editions. I know that Superman II is a holy grail for many collectors, though, so I'm certainly hoping this will sell well!

This is awesome news! I already have the Complete Superman OST which is a Williams classic. But I equally love Superman II, which just expands upon Superman's concrete foundation and has new glorious thematic material. I love what Thorne did with the existing themes and created a dynamic Williamsesque score. To have it at last in awesome sound quality will be enough reason for me to check this box out. I only have the bootleg and thanks to tommy_boy's mixing-talent he made me a very special release, just sound quality is not the best. Heck, I just listened to it few days ago and I enjoyed all of it.

So yeah, best news I've heard this year so far...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Good lord. The 2-CD version of Superman is more (far, far more) than enough for me. What an exceptionally peculiar release. Still, I hope it does well for them (sure it will).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Indeed. I have the original Warner CD (which I prefer as a listening experience), the Rhino 2CD (which is a little "too" complete) and a CD-R copy of the SUPES II and III Japanese promo things. More than sufficient. Of course, I would like to have something from nr IV as well, especially since Williams composed some brand new material for it....but to buy this superduperdeluxe set to an exorbitant price just for those cues....nah, I don't think so.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Dear god. That's like a Pandora's box!

Couldn't it be Batman or so?
    Kazoo
  2. Wait another 11 years for a Batman box, by then the box will count around 20 CDs... or on one (insert future audio technology here) drive/disc/whatever, hehe
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Southall wrote
    Good lord. The 2-CD version of Superman is more (far, far more) than enough for me. What an exceptionally peculiar release. Still, I hope it does well for them (sure it will).

I'd agree with James here. I very rarely listen to the 2-CD release I have and I'd only consider buying this for the 3 additional scores. But I have no idea what these scores are like.

I assume that if the sequel scores are released in this boxed set then they won't be available individually?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

I'd agree with James here. I very rarely listen to the 2-CD release I have and I'd only consider buying this for the 3 additional scores. But I have no idea what these scores are like.

Like the first one (liberally quoting from it)... only worse.
  4. Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

Like the first one (liberally quoting from it)... only worse.

they are not worse, true they basically use the same sound or orchestration but Superman 2 is a nice addition to the saga!!!
    The 3rd and 4th don't ring a bell with me anymore but the 2nd is surely a nice addition to the collection
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. I rather prefer Superman II as a story and I would be interested in hearing what was done with Williams' original themes.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I rather prefer Superman II as a story and I would be interested in hearing what was done with Williams' original themes.

Superman II is a great film, wonderful idea concerning Superman becoming human while facing 3 villains that have the same power as him

I still think that the cafeteria scene at the end of Superman II is the most fun scene ever to come out of the Superman saga. Just the grin on your face when Clark enters the cafeteria and that punk thinks he is the same weak four eyed fool haha biggrin

Besides all that Ken Thorne did a good job with that score, its basically the only one I want from those extra 3
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    What I don't like about the sequel scores, especially the second, is the fact that the orchestra was down sized and the recording itself is absolutely horrible. Williams' grand and epic music just doesn't work for a downsized orchestra. The writing itself is fine but if you are going to record a Superman score you better have a gigantic orchestra on hand or it's just not going to sound right.
    -Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    On one of the Superman sites the webmaster interviewed Ken Thorne, who said that the orchestra size for Superman II was either 60 or 70 pieces.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  7. Those are just coincidences. Problems with rights on the art (as I recall), and manufacturing and stuff have delayed it until February. It was supposed to be out like, oh, summer of last year.

I'm sure Williams fans will get their fix some other way, like the rumored complete Indy scores coming soon.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    What I don't like about the sequel scores, especially the second, is the fact that the orchestra was down sized and the recording itself is absolutely horrible. Williams' grand and epic music just doesn't work for a downsized orchestra. The writing itself is fine but if you are going to record a Superman score you better have a gigantic orchestra on hand or it's just not going to sound right.
    -Erik-

Downsizing on the scale of Conan The Barbarian and Conan The Destroyer, Erik?
  9. I don't have any editions of SUPERMAN yet (I know, Erik, I had a troubled childhood!), and I'm not sure if this is the place to start. I like hearing the music as a concert suite, but 8 discs!

I wish this was INDIANA JONES, but I suppose there's no reason to limit a release of that to 3000. (And no reason for 8 discs either!)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    -Erik-

Downsizing on the scale of Conan The Barbarian and Conan The Destroyer, Erik?

Ya... good comparison. Superman II sounds thin.

-Erik-
  10. Well, didn't Lukas say he was initially pressing 3,000? That's what Intrada did with "Alien" and "The Wind and the Lion", and they pressed more. Did I miss the part where it's limited?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  11. Looks like I am wrong, as jwfan.net is reporting it's the Superman scores (thankfully sans Ottman).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008
    justin boggan wrote
    Looks like I am wrong, as jwfan.net is reporting it's the Superman scores (thankfully sans Ottman).

They are reporting on the rumors.

-Erik-
  12. Yeah, and in Lukas is latest reply on FSM today, he isn't denying it and seems happy about the free publicity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I understand that but no where has the details of the release been made public.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    It is what you think it is.

I think that makes it pretty obvious.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sleep
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    -Erik-

A lot of Superman fans have clamored for the score release of Courage's work for Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, albeit with a better mix.

I'd wish Ottman had recorded his Superman Returns score with a buyout orchestra, because I thought that score was well-done (even though used Williams's themes a bit too often) and there was some bits of music that should've been included on the album release.

And considering the hubbub regarding expanded releases of the Indy scores, wouldn't it cost more to release the expanded scores for Doom and Crusade since those were recorded in L.A.?
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog