• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorzhao1701
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2015 edited
    I've been wondering for a long time why a Goldsmith theme is just able to magically soar and emote in ways that I don't hear from most melodies, and what I can learn from them for writing my own music.

I'm sure a lot of different ingredients go into making almost every Goldsmith theme special, but I recently stumbled upon something basic that I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't even know about for this long, so I wrote a post about it on my blog.

http://paralleleverything.com/2015/01/28/what-makes-a-great-melody/

I'll probably get some or a lot of flack for the themes that I choose to compare unfavorably, and I'll be the first to admit that it's not a perfect metric by any means, but I still think it's an interesting thing to be aware of when you're listening to or trying to write melodies.

Thoughts?
    www.paralleleverything.com - my blog about the less romantic side of composing...
  1. Thanks for posting this. Nice title for a blog too. I don't know enough to say whether you're onto something, but it is funny that I share your taste in melody, so it does look to me like you might have something.

(Just watch out for confirmation bias -- where you only take note of the melodies that you like that flow, rather than the ones you do like that don't flow, or the ones you didn't like - until now - that did. wink )
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2015
    Fascinating analysis. I'm not a musician (though I come from a family of musicians and had lots of childhood piano training) but I remember Williams saying something along the lines of, the secret to writing great themes is that the listener has a certain expectation of what notes are coming up next and the theme writer has to keep their attention by evading those expectations. Which would line up with your theory seemingly. So there you go, John Williams agrees with you, you must be onto something smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorzhao1701
    Hey franz_conrad! Nice - it hasn't been easy finding people with similar melodic tastes. I feel like I'm in the minority when I say Williams isn't my favorite melodist. After thinking about it more, I think I'm sort of on to something and sort of not. For me, Indiana Jones has to be one of the most obnoxious melodies of all time, but it has good down beat pitch variety. But then again, I guess my complaint with it has never been that it's too static, like, say for example Star Wars.

Hey scribe,
    That's a really neat tidbit. Now that you mention it, I can totally see how Williams applies that principle in Star Wars and Indiana Jones with his big leaps to the high notes.
    www.paralleleverything.com - my blog about the less romantic side of composing...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Gershwin could write a melody
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Gershwin could write a melody
    Tom

No shit! These days it's much easier to name many who can't.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I liked your post, Derek. That's an interesting thing to think about. I'll have to apply the theory to some of my favorite melodies and see how they turn out. I suppose you could do a similar analysis of not just the first note of each measure, but maybe the most prominent note in each measure (they're often not the same, of course). You could also look at harmonic change (something that strong influences how much I enjoy a piece of music), counterpoint, etc. That's one great thing about music - there's so much to listen to, analyse, and enjoy.

I'm curious about what you think about the difference in memorability between a Goldsmith theme and a Williams theme. Certainly the public is far more familiar with Williams's themes than Goldsmith's. Would you say that is a function of the popularity of their respective films, or might it be because Williams melodies are easier to remember? With your analysis, I could just see the human mind more easily remembering the themes from Williams that you highlighted better than the ones from Goldsmith you highlighted (obviously the Star Trek theme is well known) for some of the differences you pointed out. Maybe I'm stretching there. What do you think?
    • CommentAuthorzhao1701
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2015 edited
    Hey Christopher! Thanks for reading - and you pose a lot of interesting questions. I'm kind of realizing I wasn't too clear in my writing in making a distinction between melody and theme. There are so many more elements that go into building a great theme - orchestration, rhythm, structure, harmony is a HUGE one. I just wanted to look specifically at one component of melody and why, separate from the other elements of a theme, certain melodies don't appeal to me (the melody from Total Recall is one I wish were "better," and I sort of find the string line after the fanfare in Clear and Present Danger somewhat atrocious).

Ahh the memorability question! I definitely do believe a big part of it is the popularity of the films, unfortunately. If John Williams scored Supergirl, I doubt the general public would be very aware of his work for it.

But, I do think Goldsmith's melodies are as a whole more difficult to remember. The Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Superman melodies stay in the same key, but a trademark Goldsmith device is this B section that modulates all over the place. I absolutely love these B sections because I think it's these modulations and loss of a sense of where do-re-mi-fa-so is that makes them so soaring and emotional. But the downside of course is without knowing where "do" is anymore, they can be a lot harder to understand without harmony, therefore more difficult to sing, therefore not as memorable.

As for his A sections, I think they're as memorable as anything else, but I run into many people who disagree. I'm not sure of this, but I think his A section phrases tend to be longer, which I like because they take you on a journey, but which also means you have to remember it in larger chunks (I'm thinking of the themes for Air Force One and Star Trek First Contact).

I'm curious, what are some of your favorite melodies?
  3. Those two that you mentioned (AFO and ST:FC) are two. Goldsmith's 90s melodies are my favorite of his stuff. "The Trees," that last track from POWDER, the theme to ST: Voyager, FIRST KNIGHT, RUDY. Those are all excellent. I'm a big fan of Horner's 90s stuff, too, BRAVEHEART being my favorite of those. I also love Mark McKenzie. There's something about his melodies and orchestrations that really settles just right for me. And I love all of Thomas Newman's huge climactic cues without exception: "That Next Place," "The Great Work Begins," "Cinderella Man," "The Letter That Never Came" (ok, so that one's not huge at all, but it is wonderfully cathartic), "So Was Red" and "End Title" from SHAWSHANK.

So, as you can see, I like easy music smile. There are a lot of Goldsmith's scores that I have a harder time with, and maybe it's that his music is more challenging. Action music has rarely done much for me, and Goldsmith's action music (which I admit is excellently composed) is a chore for me to listen to.
    • CommentAuthorzhao1701
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2015 edited
    Oh gosh, yeah "The Trees" is excellent. I don't own the soundtrack to Powder, but I've listened to the theme on Youtube and quite like it. I don't know much about Mark McKenzie other than that he wrote the additional music on Looney Tones Back in Action. I'm checking out the Prelude to Greatest Miracle, and there's a lot to like there!

You know, I don't listen much to Thomas Newman's early big orchestral stuff - thanks for the reminder. I'm almost always listening to his weird sound design-y stuff when I'm in a TN mood.

Ahh that's a shame, I could listen to his action music all day! But it is admittedly not for everyone. Total Recall is one of my favorite scores, but it took me a couple years to come around to it. I think after having had to listen to lots of 20th century art music, Goldsmith's more abrasive stuff becomes less challenging to the ears by comparison.

Planet of the Apes is still too weird for me though. "The Hunt" being an exception.
  4. zhao1701 wrote
    Oh gosh, yeah "The Trees" is excellent. I don't own the soundtrack to Powder, but I've listened to the theme on Youtube and quite like it.

The theme is really all you need from Powder. It's presentation in "Everywhere" is better than in the main title, but they're pretty close, and there are some really excellent re-recordings of that theme on Goldsmith compilations that you can download for $.99. That will save you whatever silly money the full used CD is going for these days.

zhao1701 wrote
    I don't know much about Mark McKenzie other than that he wrote the additional music on Looney Tones Back in Action. I'm checking out the Prelude to Greatest Miracle, and there's a lot to like there!

Yeah, McKenzie worked with Goldsmith a bit as an orchestrator. He's also orchestrated for Powell (Mr. and Mrs. Smith), Elfman (Spiderman), Barry (Dances with Wolves), and a bunch of others. Whenever he strikes out on his own, his music is just excellent. THE GREATEST MIRACLE is the album to start with. It's his best, in my opinion.

zhao1701 wrote
    Ahh that's a shame, I could listen to his action music all day!

It is a shame! So many people love his action music. I wish I could. Alas. It's just not my thing.