• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008 edited
    Composer Nicholas Hooper's agency, Cool Music Ltd, has confirmed that the composer will team up again with director David Yates scoring his second Harry Potter film for Warner Bros, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

For more info:
    http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … -half.html
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008 edited
    Guys, you both have been behind on this. Yates and Warner Brothers confirmed Hooper's return a few months ago (the former at the U.S. or U.K. premiere, and the latter in the press release for the HBP film). I guess he wasn't official until today.

Hopefully his score for HP 6 will be much better than the one he did for HP 5. And hopefully John Williams will be back for the final film.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008
    No surprise, but still a great disappointment. The last film deserved better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well would you believe me if i said i haven't heard HP5 yet, nor do i plan to do so soon? 'cause i haven't. I am genuinely not interested and the comments of disappointment i've heard from everyone really put me off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    You'll find no comments of disappointment from me! I thoroughly enjoyed the score and am looking forward to the new one as well. I think the problem many people had with 5 was that it was so different than the ones that came before, but I felt it fit the film very nicely.
  1. In a audio interview with scorenotes.com a two or three months back, which isn't on their site and only on iTunes for some reason (which means I can't hear it), he said he was scoring an Edison film; I assume some film about Thomas Edison, but there are half a dozen about Edison in 2007/2008. Anyone know?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    David wrote
    You'll find no comments of disappointment from me! I thoroughly enjoyed the score and am looking forward to the new one as well. I think the problem many people had with 5 was that it was so different than the ones that came before, but I felt it fit the film very nicely.

I must be honest, that wasn't my problem with it. I wouldn't have minded it being different, but it just felt so limp, badly-orchestrated, unimaginative and frankly far blander than I would have thought any composer working on a Harry Potter film would manage to achieve even on his worst day at the office. It didn't hurt the film, it just sat there as most modern scores do. Occasionally the film needed to be given a bit of momentum, to have certain things emphasised, to tell us things about characters' motivations that we're not quite getting from the screenplay alone - and for me it didn't do that.
  2. I'm not going to say bad things about Hooper's soundtrack except that it just wasn't very Harry Potter as defined by Williams. I'm not against change, but as a rule, only if it's for the better. I could live with Doyle's effort, however, because he has a very distinctive style. But I draw the line going further with any criticism because Hooper I believe IS a talent, but this is HARRY POTTER we are talking about. It's the realm of SUPER TALENT. I never thought I'd see the day when the game composers on the series are outshining their film counterparts... but, frankly, this is happening big time.

Obviously, 'who you know' goes a long, long way in La La Land! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008
    Nothing against Hooper here ( I actually quite enjoyed his "The Flight of the Order of the Phoenix" cue ), but James Hannigan's video game score for HP5 simply outshined Hooper's. Hooper's bland, uninspired themes/orchestrations sound like a amateur's work...

Just compare Hooper's Love theme with Hannigan's !

So disappointed that Yates/Hooper are still on board... the HP5 film is boring like hell IMO...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just as long as Williams is back for the finale then whatever! Hooper's score is the worst of the bunch and I don't expect much from him this time out. He wrote a serviceable score unfortunately servicable isn't good enough. These films need more than that and that's why Williams need to come back, fix the wrongs and complete the series that he began.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Debbie Wiseman gotta eat. She should get the job. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008 edited
    I don't care much if Hooper scores the sixth movie - maybe the plot's pace and events will fit in with his style anyway, unlike in the fifth film. I absolutely agree that James Hannigan's game score for OoTP easily blows Hooper's movie score out of the water. The movie score has its good moments but the fact remains that it is only an... underscore. Except a few tracks (Flight of the OoTP, Room of Requirement, DA, Hall of Prophecy) it is not a listening experience on CD at all.

I sincerely hope John Williams or at least some A grade composer like Alan Silvestri or James Newton Howard is hired to score Deathly Hallows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Edited for reasons too spoilerific to explain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Come on Ralph mate, it's no big secret that Harry Potter sucks tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Burn, heretic, burn!!! crazy

ehm...

You sure you want to stand by your opinion...? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    *edited out*

My mistake, I always forget there are people who watch only the movies. But then I wonder how they understand the gaping plot holes in the movies without looking at the books?? tongue LOL
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    DemonStar wrote
    But then I wonder how they understand the gaping plot holes in the movies without looking at the books??

Don´t get me wrong, I wonder about the very same thing. And it IS years since the book came out. But LOTR is 50 years old now, and I still try to avoid to spoil my daughter about the REAL ending, just in case she reads it one day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Don´t get me wrong, I wonder about the very same thing. And it IS years since the book came out. But LOTR is 50 years old now, and I still try to avoid to spoil my daughter about the REAL ending, just in case she reads it one day.

Speaking of LoTR, I cannot stand reading the books for more than half an hour, I dunno why, but they just get too boring for me. The movies just rock. On the other hand, I can go on reading every Harry Potter book in a sequence for a week and not get bored, though most of the movies, especially GoF, are just unsatisfactory.

I am wondering how the music in the various scenes in Deathly Hallows will sound, provided they're not cut out of the movie, and provided it is not by Tyler Bates or Nicolas Hooper tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008
    Rumor has it that Guillermo Del Toro is going to direct Deathly Hallows. I wish he could bring Marco Beltrami on board... But this probably is just a dream, that never would be fulfilled anyway...LOL
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Beltrami on Potter......now we're talking! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Beltrami on Potter......now we're talking! punk

Interesting! I never thought of that actually, but now that I do, I think maybe Beltrami can be a good choice after all! beer

But I prefer Alfonso Cuaron to direct. He did an amazing job on PoA IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Beltrami would be nice, but Del Toro can stay miles away thank you very much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    John Williams or nothing I say!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bruce Broughton or John Williams. Either one would inject the right amount of 'magic' and cinematic quality these stories so sorely need. (Note I didn't say deserve. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorGhostek
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well would you believe me if i said i haven't heard HP5 yet, nor do i plan to do so soon? 'cause i haven't. I am genuinely not interested and the comments of disappointment i've heard from everyone really put me off.

Well, You should not judge music without hearing it, at least some cues.

I know that Williams did a great job with HP movies, but recently i'm tired this too-sweet scores. Hooper made some different stuff, darker, maby less pathetic than Williams' and less atractive, but emotionally very honest. Glad to hear he would make another HP movie.
    Btw... I'm don't expacting nothing spectacular to.
    Stroming New Caprica
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Ghostek wrote
    Hooper made some different stuff, darker.

I still remember the first time I watched HP3, the "Apparition on the Train" cue combined with the images on screen really really SCARED me. And I'm not easily scared, as a horror junkie.

I doubt anybody would be able to write "darker" stuff than what Williams did.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    My ideal collaboration for DH would have Cuaron directing and Williams to score it. A lot of fans are divided by the third film, either saying that Cuaron "ruined" it or loved it (I go with the latter). But the fans love the third film's score. Considering that Cuaron was contractually obligated to use Williams for the third film (and was delighted with the result), I would be shocked if Cuaron didn't bring Williams back on.

I'm not sure about Guillermo del Toro... considering the darker stuff in DH he'd turn it into a gothic R-rated "Pan's Labyrinth" opus with Navarette scoring it. Now while the blood and gore worked as a Grimm's Fairy Tale for grownups in PL, it wouldn't work for a HP film.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008
    I never said i judged the score without listening to it first. I never do that. It's just that in this case, it doesn't interest me at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Del Toro and Williams would be like...a dream come true. It SHOULD be dark and gothic-y....half of it takes place in graveyards and haunted forests and other such things...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    I never said i judged the score without listening to it first. I never do that. It's just that in this case, it doesn't interest me at all.

Me neither. I haven't heard a full Potter score since the first one. sleep
    Kazoo