• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2015 edited
    A second concert during the film festival will be announced on Wednesday.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    A second concert during the film festival will be announced on Wednesday.

April 1st -- not the smartest day to announce a new concert. smile

"And for our second concert, we present John Williams appearing on stage with Ennio Morricone, Danny Elfman, Elliot Goldenthal, Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, James Horner, Vangelis, Thomas Newman and previously announced Alan Silvestri. Specially projected footage of Jerry Goldsmith, John Barry, Basil Poledouris and Michael Kamen will be used to interact with the living composers, Michael Jackson-style".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2015
    biggrin
    Sounds legit!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    "They will bring a special suite put together for the concert: 25 years MediaVentures and RemoteControl: a history of anthems and destruction. Williams will conduct with Desplat's invisble baton. Ghost writers will sit among the public to enjoy this spectacle. Unlike last year at his own concert, Cliff Martinez seemed interested enough this year to perform something on drums, perhaps for Crimson Tide or Beyond Rangoon ".
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    "And Tyler Bates will perform an interpretative dance, mindessly and amorphously, lulled by the thin monotonous piping of a demoniac flute held in nameless paws"
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. they will do a Cliff Martinez concert is a joke enough on itself rolleyes
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Maybe it's Philip Glass. Maybe it's Philip Glass. It may be Philip Glass. It may be Philip Glass. Maybe it is Philip Glass. Maybe it is Philip Glass. Philip Glass. Glass. Philip. Philip Glass. It may be Philip Glass. Maybe it's Philip Glass.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Meta April fooling is the ONLY acceptable form of April Fools.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2015 edited
    GREAT BRITISH FILM MUSIC (22 October 2015)

GUESTS
    Stephen Warbeck and George Fenton (guests of honour)

From William Walton to John Barry, from George Fenton to Michael Nyman. Their music will be performed live accompanied with film fragments. In the concert selection pieces from Richard III, Henry V, Shakespeare in Love, Far from the Madding Crowd, Murder on the Orient Express, Dangerous Liaisons, Battle of Britain, The Ipcress File and The Knack.

MORE INFO
    http://www.filmfestival.be/en/movie-blo … -2015/2634

TICKETS
    https://filmfestivalgent.ticketmatic.co … o&l=en

FILM MUSIC SEMINARY (23 October 2015)

GUESTS
    Stephen Warbeck, Patrick Doyle and George Fenton

Focus on British film music

MORE INFO
    Later...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2015
    Very cool! Lots of attendees too. Well done!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Interesting. Seems like there's a lot of cross-over between Ghent and Krakow this year. Krakow has some of the same guests, and a focus on Shakespeare --- which this also does. Makes it easier for me to swallow the disappointment that I can't make Krakow this year.

By the way, I'm (hopefully) interviewing Fenton here in Oslo in a couple of weeks. Doyle I've already interviewed, and Warbeck I'm not that interested in. This is great, because I can focus all my attention on getting the Silvestri interview!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    Becomes more and more interesting!!!
    We don't know who gets the Life Time Award yet, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Also
    We are very happy to present at the GREAT BRITISH FILM MUSIC concert the premiere of Craig Armstrong's score for 'Far From The Madding Crowd', film by Thomas Vinterberg starring ‪#‎CareyMulligan‬ and ‪#‎MatthiasSchoenaerts‬ (Belgian film release 29 April!)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Dennis wrote

Yes, it'll be Paul Haslinger.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Dennis wrote

Yes, it'll be Paul Haslinger.

He, he. Don't diss the Hass. I love much of his stuff -- he was even a Tangerine Dream member at some point.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    As they are in a British mood, I would love to see John Scott getting the Lifetime award although I think he lives in L.A. but I might be wrong
    He is 84 and he has written some great stuff
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Dennis wrote
    As they are in a British mood, I would love to see John Scott getting the Lifetime award although I think he lives in L.A. but I might be wrong
    He is 84 and he has written some great stuff

Like John Williams, I'm not sure he wants to travel that far. Same with, say, Richard LaSalle, who is 97!

But I would also like to see some old legends get their due. Williams and Morricone are impossible to get. But what about...

Lalo Schifrin?
    Quincy Jones?
    Michel Legrand?
    Vladimir Cosma?
    Laurence Rosenthal?
    Andre Previn?
    Johnny Mandel?
    Gerald Fried?

These are all in the 75+ category.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Dennis wrote
    As they are in a British mood ...

... be sure to offer everyone a good cuppa and cake. cheesy
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Dennis wrote
    As they are in a British mood ...

... be sure to offer everyone a good cuppa and cake. cheesy

I say, steady on
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2015
    Armstrong will attend the Great Britisch Film Music concert in October in Gent. Music from his latest score Far From the Madding Crowd will be performed too!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2015 edited
    Great!

I should really start looking into travel details. The earlier, the better etc. However, as usual I'm worried that something mandatory will pop up over the next 6 months, which means I'm forced to cancel. And since I usually try to book the cheapest options possible, I lose all the money.

Also, I'm worried that I book the trip first, and then the WSA tells me that no interview with Silvestri is possible, and they do not have a press ticket to the WSA for me.

So many worries! Why can't Ghent be in Oslo?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2015 edited
    OK, so I've booked the trip already.

I will bring Morten, a friend of mine (one of two close remaining friends that are not yet settled). He has no interest in film music, but he's curious about what I do at these festivals.

We will arrive on Thursday, hopefully just in time for the British film music concert. If everything goes smoothly, we'll be at our hotel (Gravensteen, just by the Korenmarkt) at about 18:00. But we need to eat and I need to pick up my tickets before that, so it will be a close race! Also, the arena is 20 minutes away.

On Friday, we have no plans. I only intend to go to the press conference (but this could also be on Saturday).

On Saturday, we have no plans untill the WSA.

And on Sunday, we have no plans. But we will go to Brussels in the afternoon, and stay there for one night.

The scary thing about this is -- I have no tickets to either the British concert or WSA yet. I'm just crossing my fingers that they will provide accreditation.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2015
    Cool but ... no longer stay? No trip on Sunday then.

You could also just buy tickets?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2015
    Well, last year we went to Bruges, and I took the train directly from there to Brussels. Something like that is possible on Sunday, perhaps?

Yeah, I COULD buy tickets, but since I'm there also in a journalist capacity, it doesn't feel right. My friend might have to buy tickets, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. cool, good to see you then, you'll definitely see several familiar faces this year, including Alison who will happily seen you again smile

And Thor, I'll have that beer with you this year wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2015
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    cool, good to see you then, you'll definitely see several familiar faces this year, including Alison who will happily seen you again smile

And Thor, I'll have that beer with you this year wink

Awesome! Yeah, I'm happy to try my warped French again -- as best as I can, anyway. And beer, of course. Beer and French. Great combo. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015 edited
    Doyle will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award, and will attend the WSA, where a selection of his music will be performed. Since he's British, I guess he'll also attend the Great British Film Music concert on Thursday.

The Lifetime Achievement Award will be presented to Patrick Doyle at the 15th World Soundtrack Awards in Ghent, following the festival’s focus on British Cinema.

Artistic director of Film Fest Gent Patrick Duynslaegher on choosing the composer: “This year’s focus of the 42nd Film Fest Gent will be on British Cinema, so Patrick Doyle was the ideal candidate to grant the Lifetime Achievement Award to, during the 15th World Soundtrack Awards. Anyone who can still recount hearing Doyle’s score for Kenneth Branagh’s debut film Henry V in 1989 for the first time, knows that back then a great composer was born. Ever since, Patrick Doyle has been a close collaborator with Mr. Branagh and always gave a deeper musical layer to all of his films including the Shakespeare adaptations (Henry V, Hamlet, Much Ado About Nothing, As You Like It and Love’s Labour’s Lost). The immensely versatile Doyle enriched the films by Robert Altman, Ang Lee, Chen Kaige, Alfonso Cuarón and Brian DePalma (one of his greatest scores was for Carlito’s Way) with his alternating tragic, noble, triumphant and romantic compositions. With his work on blockbusters such as Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire he certainly proved his talent working on spectacular Hollywood action and adventure films.”

Patrick Doyle, who recently scored Disney’s international box office hit Cinderella, will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award during the WSAwards Concert for his outstanding career in film music. A selection of his work will be performed by Brussels Philharmonic and conducted by Dirk Brossé.

Also a crowdfunding campaign has been set up to release a compilation of Silvestri's music.
    Fans of Alan Silvestri’s work can support the recording of Film Fest Gent’s newest album, which focuses on the annual central guest of the WSAwards, by funding the crowdfunding campaign ‘Bringing film music to your ears'. Returns include a signed album by Silvestri himself, your name in the booklet, VIP tickets to the WSAwards, etc. The greater the contribution, the more you will receive. The crowdfunding campaign will be launched on Wednesday, 3rd of June at the online platform Indiegogo. A budget of €12,500 is required to finance a share of the recording of the album. You can discover everything about the campaign through this link: http://igg.me/at/filmfestgentalbum.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2015
    I find Doyle to be a weird choice for the Lifetime Award
    I mean Doyle is still a very active composer. Maybe in 10-15 years they could give him the award
    Besides, Doyle is 62 and is younger than Silvestri (65) who is the main guest
    I am not saying there is any rule the lifetime award should be given to a composer who is younger than the 'main' guest but I think at least it should be given to someone who has retired or is much less active in composing.
    Imagine if Doyle goes to win 3 Oscars till his retirement. Then you have a lifetime award given to him before the 3 Oscars.....
    I would have preferred to see John Scott but I know he lives in LA so probably too expensive to have him over here