• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2015 edited
    Focus of this year's film festival is British Cinema. ALAN SILVESTRI is the main guest at the World Soundtrack Awards.

I'll update this post with all upcoming concerts and practical issues (hotels, train, ...)

EVENTS

GREAT BRITISH FILM MUSIC (22 October 2015)

GUESTS
    Stephen Warbeck and George Fenton (guests of honour)

From William Walton to John Barry, from George Fenton to Michael Nyman. Their music will be performed live accompanied with film fragments. In the concert selection pieces from Richard III, Henry V, Shakespeare in Love, Far from the Madding Crowd, Murder on the Orient Express, Dangerous Liaisons, Battle of Britain, The Ipcress File and The Knack.

MORE INFO
    Later...

FILM MUSIC SEMINAR (22 October 2015)

GUESTS
    Morning: George Fenton about his collaboration with Ken Loach
    Afternoon: several British composers discuss collaborations in Britain and America

MORE INFO
    http://www.filmfestival.be/nl/film-muzi … -2015/2685

TICKETS
    https://filmfestivalgent.ticketmatic.co … o&l=en

MEET & GREET (24 October 2015)

GUESTS
    Patrick Doyle, Alan Silvestri and Daniel Pemberton

MORE INFO
    http://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/en … -2015/2083

SUBSCRIBE
    https://filmfestivalgent.ticketmatic.co … o&l=en (use your WSA ticket for free admission)

WORLD SOUNDTRACK AWARDS (24 October 2015)

GUESTS
    Alan Silvestri (central guest)
    Daniel Pemberton (Discovery of the Year 2014)
    Patrick Doyle (Lifetime Achievement Award)

MORE INFO
    http://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/en … concert/94

TICKETS
    https://filmfestivalgent.ticketmatic.co … o&l=en

PRACTICAL

STAY

Everything is quite close in Gent.

If you'd stay for a few days, I'd advise to stay close to the center as many of the members who go stay in the center Cheaper options are IBIS Cathedral or IBIS Opera, and there's are a few hostels including one awesome "Backstay Hostel", which is in fact between the concert hall and center. Monasterium Poortackere is an old monestary where you can spend a night at a more original location.

Or perhaps you stay just for one night, and want to be close to the train station (which is close to the concert hall anyway)? Then I'd advise you to stay in Hotel Castel, Best Western Chamade or Hotel Carlton. All are a 5 minute walk from the concert hall and the train station, but a bit further away from the center.

TRANSPORT

Take the train from Brussels National Airport to Gent-Sint-Pieters. Take TRAM 1 to the city center (direction Korenmarkt). Taxi next to the main entrance of the train station.

Flying with Ryanair drops you at Brussels South Airport (Charleroi) from where there are direct buses to Gent-Sint-Pieters (main train station) from where you can take TRAM 1 to the city center (see above). Use http://www.flibco.com/en to find cheap connections.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2015
    I will probably attend again this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It is absolutely no question I will be there unless something happens that forces me to stay here. Silvestri has been a long dream of mine.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Excellent news.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    I'll be there too.
  1. I think I'm going to try to make it, work dependant as usual.
  2. now this is fucking great news. Like Thor this is one of my all time heroes, and also a great opportunity to hear some of my all time favorites (I hope) LIVE. I'm there
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Ditto. Am checking calendars, bank accounts... fingers crossed.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Aside from Chris Young, Alan Silvestri is the other composer I wanted to hear in concert most. So please WSA, give all the awards to Desplat and devote all the concert time to Silvestri's music. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015
    We're buying tickets tonight.
    Kazoo
  4. Bregt wrote
    We're buying tickets tonight.

you damn right we are wink
  5. Woohoo... I just bought my ticket. smile
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  6. cool smile
    4 tickets (for now) ordered. Mario, Elin, Alison (my girlfriend) and myself. Others will follow I'm sure.

See you all there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Ooooh, Silvestri. Definitely one of the names I was waiting for, that yet appeared quite unexpectedly. Guys... I'm probably most definitely in for this year!

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think it's going to be a record crowd this year.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2015
    I'd like to come too. How are the others of you from the UK planning to travel?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2015
    Anthony wrote

Eurostar to Brussels, then train to Ghent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    So far, who's coming:
    Lee (LSH)
    Jim
    Thor
    Pete (Synchrotones)
    Thomas + 1
    Marie-Lise
    Elin
    Mario
    Bregt + 1

Anthony?
    Bregje?

Three years ago, I organised a little reception + dinner (and dessert) before the concert, very close to the venue. I will try to organise something similar if enough people are interested.

I can also make a reservation for a restaurant and a beer bar on Friday evening in case people want to sit together. On Sunday I usually take people with me on a little trip, and sometimes also on Mondays I show part of the region around Gent.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Bregt wrote
    So far, who's coming:
    Lee (LSH)
    Jim
    Thor
    Pete (Synchrotones)
    Thomas + 1
    Marie-Lise
    Elin
    Mario
    Bregt + 1

Anthony?
    Bregje?

Three years ago, I organised a little reception + dinner (and dessert) before the concert, very close to the venue. I will try to organise something similar if enough people are interested.

I can also make a reservation for a restaurant and a beer bar on Friday evening in case people want to sit together. On Sunday I usually take people with me on a little trip, and sometimes also on Mondays I show part of the region around Gent.

I think Tim Burden is planning to attend too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    I am planning to attend. No idea if SST has their own plans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Bregt wrote
    So far, who's coming:
    Lee (LSH)

+1
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2015
    +2
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2015 edited
    Jim Ware wrote
    Anthony wrote

Eurostar to Brussels, then train to Ghent.

Those were my initial thoughts too.

Can anyone local recommend a good hotel that's close to the concert hall?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2015 edited
    Everything is quite close in Gent.

If you'd stay for a few days, I'd advise to stay close to the center as many of the members who go stay in the center Cheaper options are IBIS Cathedral or IBIS Opera, and there's are a few hostels including one awesome "Backstay Hostel", which is in fact between the concert hall and center. Monasterium Poortackere is an old monestary where you can spend a night at a more original location.

Or perhaps you stay just for one night, and want to be close to the train station (which is close to the concert hall anyway)? Then I'd advise you to stay in Hotel Castel, Best Western Chamade or Hotel Carlton. All are a 5 minute walk from the concert hall and the train station, but a bit further away from the center.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2015
    I added a section practical to the first post too, regarding hotels/hostels and location.
    Kazoo
  7. Thanks for some useful info Bregt.

Now, do any of those hotels have a carpark, don't look like it slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2015
    I have tried to contact the WSA, but received no response. It's been almost a week. Hmmm....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Synchrotones wrote
    Thanks for some useful info Bregt.

Now, do any of those hotels have a carpark, don't look like it slant

IBIS Opera has one I think. You can park for free at Gent Expo (or other P+R) and take Tram 1 from there right to the city center. It's not always a great idea to park in the city center anyhow, as it is a rather complicated city. I know some cheaper places too. PM me with some details and I can help. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    I have tried to contact the WSA, but received no response. It's been almost a week. Hmmm....

I don't even try. Just join us and buy a ticket. wink
    Kazoo