• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2015
    Bregt wrote
    Everytthing is allright. We are drubk.

What a rgeat conert tonight! Grzat British Film MLusic.

You should totally stop giving Thor your log-in details!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2015
    Timmer wrote
    What Vaughan Williams was played?

49th Parallel. Great.

Here's the programme:
    Prelude from Richard III - William Walton
    Prelude from 49th Parallel - Ralph Vaughan Williams
    March from Things to Come - Arthur Bliss
    Theme from The Knack - John Barry
    Main Theme from The Ipcress File - John Barry
    Suite from The Last Valley - John Barry
    Main Titles from Where the Eagles Dare - Ron Goodwin
    Main Theme from Frenzy - Ron Goodwin
    Waltz from Murder on the Orient Express - Rodney Bennett
    Theme from Get Carter - Roy Budd
    Selection from Brazil - Michael Kamen
    Main Theme from Modesty Blaise - John Dankworth

Ouverture from Much Ado about Nothing - Patrick Doyle
    Opening and Love Theme from Far From the Madding Crowd - Craig Armstrong
    Coffee Time from The Program - Alex Heffes
    Curtain and Seriously from Anna Karenina - Dario Marianelli
    Suite from Shakespeare in Love - Stephen Warbeck
    Trysting Field from Drowning by Numbers - Nyman
    Chasing Sheep ... from The Draughtsman's Contract - Nyman
    Theme from The End of the Affair - Nyman
    Suite from Dangerious Liaisons - George Fenton
    Suite from Land and Freedom - Fenton

They show images and fragments from the movies itself during the concert, and I must say that Britain made some really weird movies. You guys don't just drink tea.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2015 edited
    What a delicious program. Very nice to see that the John Barry selection wasn't the usual Dances With *yawn* Wolves and Out of *yawn* Africa.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Fantastic. Would have loved to have been there.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2015 edited
    Fabulous weekend, as always. A pleasure to meet such a large group of members. Thor, of course, and his friend Morten, Anthony, Cristian and his sister, Lee, Pete (Simons), and the Belgian gang (Thomas and Alison, Elin and Nico, Mario, Marie-Lise, Tim, ...).

After this extended weekend (4 days) I have zero interest in going back to work tomorrow.
    Kazoo
  2. Fab weekend indeed. I posted this elsewhere, but what the heck... http://wp.me/p3hOx4-QH smile
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2015
    Synchrotones wrote
    Fab weekend indeed. I posted this elsewhere, but what the heck... http://wp.me/p3hOx4-QH smile

Nice walkthrough, Pete.
    I enjoyed reading that.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2015
    Phew! It's 1 AM and I'm finally back in my Oslo apartment. What a weekend! I think this must have been one of the best and most busy Ghent weekends I've had in all 5 years I've been there. Maybe because there were so many people.

Plenty to do and tell in the coming days. And to read up on others' stuff, like Pete's summary (too bad I didn't get to meet you, Pete!).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2015 edited
    Wow, what a great weekend! Brilliant to see some of you there and make new friends along the way. The concert was very enjoyable and the events afterwards, well... predictably messy. I had a completely beer-free day yesterday which I can only accredit to feeling absolutely fucking awful. Still, looking forward to next year!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Was fun seeing you guys again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes! I didn't know where you all went suddenly though, after the concert.
    MainTitles usually has a bit of problems moving away from the venue. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Yes! I didn't know where you all went suddenly though, after the concert.
    MainTitles usually has a bit of problems moving away from the venue. wink

This year, I was more surprised by the amount of people we lost along the way to the first bar. Still, though, it was a good-sized group that ended up in the 'tap' pub.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    A small highlight was Daniel Pemberton performing his theme to Peep Show for me by finger popping his mouth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Did anybody else get the CD at the end of concert? It contains a 40min piece, each minute written by a different composer with ties to the festival and performed by a 28 piece ensemble under maestro Dirk. Haven't listened to it yet but wondering if anyone else got it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2015 edited
    I attended that concert some years ago, but didn't get that cd. How and where did you get that? dizzy
    Joris was going to give me one since he has two?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2015
    It was handed out as we left the reception.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Aah, you went to the reception because you got the VIP ticket. That makes sense!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    LSH wrote
    Did anybody else get the CD at the end of concert? It contains a 40min piece, each minute written by a different composer with ties to the festival and performed by a 28 piece ensemble under maestro Dirk. Haven't listened to it yet but wondering if anyone else got it?

I got the CD, yes. Interesting. It is a promo CD (not for sale)
    I was disappointed about the Meet&Greet. This was supposed to be the event where fans get an autograph....
    You guys near the World Soundtrack Awards Organization, try to let them know that they have to either dedicate more time (like 1h for signing) to fans (some of them paid 5 euros ticket too) or invent a different system. More controlled where we don't have to fight for an autograph and everybody gets at least one
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Yes, it was disappointing. I even thought the Q+A could have been more in-depth. Some good moments but a little thin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    This could be easily solved by having a dedicated area for a line, with a volunteer or two monitoring the proceedings. That's how things usually get organized at store signings etc. I'm surprised it always becomes a 'mayhem', especially since they've been doing this for, what, 20 years now?

It needs to be said, though, that it was more people in the audience this year, and the cinema theatre setup didn't work as well, IMO. In fact, they told me I couldn't sit in the front area because that was only for "guests". I found that rather provocative when I've come all the way from Norway to cover this event. No way I could get decent photograps etc. from row 89. So I just sat down in a seat there anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    I agree with you Thor.
    Meet&Greet needs to change
    Although Ray Costa tried to limit it to One autograph per person there is always the a$$hole of the day who arrives with 20 cd covers and wants a selfie a picture and I don't know what else.....

At the end of the concert having a VIP ticket we could have some drinks and snacks. The composers of course had another restricted area where the rest of the VIPs were are not allowed to access. I asked nicely if I could enter and have an autograph and I was almost kicked out by security! Well, I got 6 autographs so I am not complaining but I would have loved to get one from Silvestri too
  3. Dennis, Thor: several mails have already been sent to the WSA to alert them of the truly horrible organization concerning the meet & greet (and especially autograph signing). Hopefully they pick it up for next year.

On the other hand, it was a truly great weekend yet again. One of the best I might add. Hopefully I can stay a little longer next year. shame

Hope to see you all then again next year smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2015
    The meet and greet went like I am used to in Krakow. Maybe Polish people are more patient that it works out? Nowadays they do it in a special Varese Sarabande corner (So you can buy the CDs). I have not see it being a chaos at the FMF. Crowded but not a chaos.

What I do not like about meet and greet is the composers sitting behind a table and you on the other side. It makes it more like an... hmmm.. unpersonal signing factory?

Like stated before, someone who goes to there with 20 CD covers and a photo should be kicked out for being a selfish a**hole. That guy was also one of the lucky ones who got a signature from Hans Zimmer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2015 edited
    I missed out on getting anything signed (not that I'm really into that - I prefer to just have a down to earth chat). But I was standing in the long queue with my Back To The Future blu-ray boxset (it was the only thing I had to hand when I left) whilst a guy standing nearby was gloating after having had about 15 cd inserts and a creepy looking binder (containing several signed photographs of composers) signed by everyone. I seriously wanted to rip his fucking ankles out. Prick.

Still, meeting Silvestri (and the others) afterwards was truly awesome. They were all top guys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Time to check ebay to see if they are on there :-)

On a side note: quiet annoying to find a nice cheap CD at the Amoeba store in Los Angeles and see a "For Jack" on the CD cover.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Hvor er søppelbøtta?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    Hvor er søppelbøtta?

LOL!

(internal joke, but well remembered, Ant!)
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2015
    LSH wrote

Wait - what? Is there a CD with music from this concert?
    http://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/en … est-gent/6

Is it officially released?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2015
    Apparently. I have no idea if it has an official release, I was just handed what I assume was a promo. Although I haven't been able to listen to it because my hifi is refusing to play it.