• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2015 edited
    MUSIC FOR PETER GREENAWAY | michael nyman

Nyman is one of my favourite composers. I love the sound and there's often so much joy and colour in his orchestration. This cd offers a varied selection, sometimes just weird but sometimes also a bit hard to listen to. Time Lapse must be one of my favourite pieces of him. Other fine cues are Wheelbarrow Walk, Knowing The Ropes and of course Memorial.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2015
    I love Nyman too Bregt but I've always been more partial to his concert work over his film scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Really? Perhaps. I haven't explored it much. TGV is superb, and also Time After Time I like a lot but that's the only ones I know.
    Kazoo
  1. Timmer wrote
    I love Nyman too Bregt but I've always been more partial to his concert work over his film scores.

I remember Musique à Grande Vitesse is a mutual source of delight.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    MUSIC FOR PETER GREENAWAY | michael nyman

Nyman is one of my favourite composers. I love the sound and there's often so much joy and colour in his orchestration. This cd offers a varied selection, sometimes just weird but sometimes also a bit hard to listen to. Time Lapse must be one of my favourite pieces of him. Other fine cues are Wheelbarrow Walk, Knowing The Ropes and of course Memorial.

Nyman, of course, is famous for his ostinati, and it is my opinion that Powell's BOURNE riff influenced Zimmer's...........wait, what?

In all seriousness, Nyman is a bit hit/miss for me. I think I prefer him when he's more lush. I've never been able to embrace his Greenaway work that much.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: EX MACHINA (Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow)

The best movie of the year (so far)! The score is more challenging to listen to on its own, but both the harsh dissonance and the smooth ambiance have value. Gets better after repeated listenings.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

I remember Musique à Grande Vitesse is a mutual source of delight.

Volker

Indeed! MGV as it's more commonly known or TGV if you're Bregt. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think TGV is the same, but faster?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No, it's the same piece. Unless someone is ready to do a correction-pouncing-police upon me, MGV has never been called TGV.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt loves trains, so that may account for the TGV confusion.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    No, it's the same piece. Unless someone is ready to do a correction-pouncing-police upon me, MGV has never been called TGV.

*whoooshhhhh*
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    shame

I'm sure I'll get over my humour by-pass eventually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin thumbsup
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wait, it's not to do with trains? I was under the impression it was. uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked I knew it meant Musique A Grand Vitesse, but I didn't know it was actually written for the inauguration of the TGV!

So, yeah...joke backfire. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Last Valley - Barry John

Exceptional. Perhaps my favourite Barry John score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2015
    Martijn wrote
    shocked I knew it meant Musique A Grand Vitesse, but I didn't know it was actually written for the inauguration of the TGV!

That'll teach you!

( and back at me too for not spotting it )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2015 edited
    Southall wrote
    The Last Valley - Barry John

Exceptional. Perhaps my favourite Barry John score.

It's certainly high up there for me too.

Exceptional is right. It is near unbelievable to think this greatness came from the pen of a rugby player.
  2. Thor wrote

The best movie of the year (so far)!

Darn, this was looking good, I thought. But if you like it... dizzy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote

Yes. I did know! Nobody understands me. sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

The best movie of the year (so far)!

Darn, this was looking good, I thought. But if you like it... dizzy

It's so good, I think it will transgress our different taste in things.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Transcend. smile

NP: Les Revenants (Mogwai)

More chilled than chilling, when heard as an album out of context. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Transcend. smile

NP: Les Revenants (Mogwai)

More chilled than chilling, when heard as an album out of context. smile

He, he...transcend, sorry.

Btw, LES REVENANTS seems to be another film (well, series) and score where we see eye to eye. Can't wait for the second season, which presumably airs this year (about bloody time!).
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I hope it's as good as the first. I was happy to never see another season, as long as they left it on a high. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Great Human Odyssey - Darren Fung

Very surprising given what it was composed for, but very enjoyable Zimmer/Tyler-style modern action adventure score. Check your brain in when you press play and it's great fun.
  5. Southall wrote
    The Great Human Odyssey - Darren Fung

Very surprising given what it was composed for, but very enjoyable Zimmer/Tyler-style modern action adventure score. Check your brain in when you press play and it's great fun.

Honestly, Tyler didn't came to mind when I was listening to it, but indeed good score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015
    One track is almost directly from Thor 2, I think. And one of the themes is a very familiar tune, from a non-Zimmer Remote Control score (but I don't know which one). And another's straight from Batman Begins. It's enjoyable, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    One track is almost directly from Thor 2, I think. And one of the themes is a very familiar tune, from a non-Zimmer Remote Control score (but I don't know which one). And another's straight from Batman Begins. It's enjoyable, though.

THOR 2? Screw him!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jupiter Ascending Michael Giacchino

I've played this an embarrassing number of times. What else has been released this year? I'm pretty sure this is my favourite so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    It is near unbelievable to think this greatness came from the pen of a rugby player.

Could you repeat that? I didn't quite catch it.