• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2015 edited
    Tomorrowland - Michael Giacchino

Lovely. I can't think of another Giacchino score that sounds quite like this one. Album could use a pruning but that goes with pretty much all scores this length.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2015
    ^ Speed Racer came to mind when I was listening to it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Southall wrote
    I liked Jupiter Ascending but the album was unmanageable

Unmanageably AWESOME you mean? punk
  2. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote
    I liked Jupiter Ascending but the album was unmanageable

Unmanageably AWESOME you mean? punk

I'm sure he does! punk
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I liked Jupiter Ascending but the album was unmanageable.

Yes it is.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, it wasn't a good album, but it can be. We have the technology. (It IS a great score.)
  3. San Andreas - Andrew Lockington

Well-composed as ever but a little forgettable compared to his previous scores. The lack of an "adventure" feel compared to, say, Journey 2 harms it a bit, and while there are themes, they're pretty weak. That said, there is some furiously fast-paced action in here with some excellent brass writing, and holy heck, "Skydive" is one of the most powerfully HUGE cues of the year. This is a testament to how incredible a full, live brass section can sound! Shame on you, Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL and anyone else who has ever used synth brass when they had the option and budget not to. Seriously. soapbox
  4. Lord Andrew Lindsay: Let us praise famous men and our fathers that begat us. All these men were honoured in their generations and were a glory in their days. We are here today to give thanks for the life of Harold Abrahams. To honour the legend. Now there are just two of us - young Aubrey Montague and myself - who can close our eyes and remember those few young men with hope in our hearts and wings on our heels.

NP: Chariots of Fire (1981) - Vangelis

This one started it for me. Soul food.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE INSIDER (Various/Lisa Gerrard/Pierre Bourke)

I still can't get over the fact that I like the soundtrack album so much, to a film I can barely stomach.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015
    NP: Tomorrowland - Michael Giacchino

Giacchino is two-for-two so far this year. Splendid music!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015 edited
    Tomorrowland - Michael Giacchino

Condensed this down to a shorter listen and it's even better! His overuse of the same chord progression is a little irritating (variations of C-major to A-flat major) but the dazzling orchestration is making up for it. Ever since Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Giacchino's woodwind writing in particular has gotten more diverse and this score really takes advantage of that.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015 edited
    N/A
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Josh, can you share how you condensed it? What did you take out?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Tomorrowland - Michael Giacchino

I'm loving this!
    From start to finish - awesomeness! cool
  5. NP Pompei (2007) - Marco Frisina

Lush, rich and beautiful.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2015
    Martijn wrote

Sure! I went with the suggestion on Filmscoremonthly and that worked very well for me.

01 - 01. A Story About the Future 0:54
    02 - 02. A Prologue 1:29
    03 - 04. Boat Wait, There’s More! 1:08
    04 - 05. Edge of Tomorrowland 5:18
    05 - 06. Casey v Zeitgeist 1:23
    06 - 08. Pin-Ultimate Experience 4:54
    07 - 15. People Mover and Shaker 5:27
    08 - 16. What An Eiffel! 6:57
    09 - 20. The Battle of Bridgeway 2:52
    10 - 22. Electric Dreams 4:41
    11 - 23. Pins of a Feather 5:19
    12 - 24. End Credits 5:27

TOTAL TIME - 45:39
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2015 edited
    NP - PRICELESS - Naoki Sato

I've wanted to hear this score for a couple years, as a number of people whose opinions I really respect were speaking very highly of it in their 2012 wrap-up lists. I finally ordered it from Japan and am nearly finished with my first listen. It's very good. There are some tracks on here (there have been about 4 or 5 now) that really blew me away. It's not at all what I would expect to hear from a Japanese TV comedy (isn't that what it is?). And that cover! Who would expect music like this from a cover like that?!? This is great stuff. I'm continually impressed with Sato. He's so talented.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    NP - PRICELESS - Naoki Sato

I've wanted to hear this score for a couple years, as a number of people whose opinions I really respect were speaking very highly of it in their 2012 wrap-up lists. I finally ordered it from Japan and am nearly finished with my first listen. It's very good. There are some tracks on here (there have been about 4 or 5 now) that really blew me away. It's not at all what I would expect to hear from a Japanese TV comedy (isn't that what it is?). And that cover! Who would expect music like this from a cover like that?!? This is great stuff. I'm continually impressed with Sato. He's so talented.

Yeah, that's a great album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BREAKING AND ENTERING (Underworld & Gabriel Yared)

Moody, downtempo and loungey with loads of smooth textures. My kind of score!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2015 edited
    Josh B wrote
    Martijn wrote

Sure!
    <...>
    TOTAL TIME - 45:39

Great suggestions, and my favourite running time (around 45 minutes).
    Many thanks!

Thor wrote
    NP: BREAKING AND ENTERING (Underworld & Gabriel Yared)

Moody, downtempo and loungey with loads of smooth textures. My kind of score!

I really wanted to like this, but it ended up way to "texturey" (a.k.a. "soundscapish") for me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Soundscapes for the WIN! I've really done a 180 on this particular thing over the last ten years (bored me to tears in my teens and early 20s, now I can't get enough of it).
    I am extremely serious.
  6. So what's gone wrong then? wink

No, fun aside, you know I love me some good ambient music, film music or whatever.

Volker
  7. Thor wrote
    Soundscapes for the WIN! I've really done a 180 on this particular thing over the last ten years (bored me to tears in my teens and early 20s, now I can't get enough of it).

Which is why people should never get rid of any albums you don't enjoy. Tastes change.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2015
    tatesk schjaes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Frus pal. Shun zekal con tuttifrutti.
    But only when you've regained your faculties!
    Or it'll all go to charity.
  8. Just played:
    Le colonne sonore dei film di Sergio Leone (Ennio Morricone)

This is one of the earliest compilations I owned. When I reconstructed the playlist using remastered cues I exchanged DUCK YOU SUCKER for MY NAME IS NOBODY.

NP: The Mission (1986) Ennio Morricone
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2015 edited
    Prometheus Marc Streitenfeld (and Harry Gregson Williams)

HGW's theme is excellent, and it's a shame he didn't score the whole thing. Streitenfeld's score is unpleasant and dare I say a little unfocused (there are various ideas here that don't really develop)...yet I rather enjoy it. If not themes and motifs, he certainly got the right tone.
  9. Isn't that like saying...

I that kick in the nuts was unplesant, but I enjoyed it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Exactly!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    But isn't it like saying... that piece of rancid meat I just liquidised and injected into my nostrils was unpleasant, but I enjoyed it.