• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2015
    Steven wrote
    Ash vs Evil Dead Joseph DoLuca

Add this to another winner from 2015. It's great.

What's this? What's this?
    (There's chainsaws everywhere)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Something I'm greatly looking forward to catching up on when its season has finished broadcasting. It's getting rave reviews, and this album is a great addition to that wacky world.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2015 edited
    So good to see that LoDuca is on board. I'm looking forward to seeing the show.

The chin is back! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    The chin is back! punk

YUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Also, I meant LoDuca. slant (I'll blame the bourbon, as per usual.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Didn't notice. Shoulda kept schtum. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DoLuca rolls off the tongue better, in my defense.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Doh!

...Luca
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just finished my second spin of The Force Awakens. Much more enjoyable the second time around as I get more familiar with the new themes. Still not blown away by it but there's some pretty spectacular moments... and some weird ones!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    CutThroat Island John Debney

Despite scoring a film about our Lord and Saviour, this was his truly Divinely inspired score. Praise be to this score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ In my top 3 of all time!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Due to the music being so excellent, the film is a real guilty pleasure of mine. Its tongue in cheek feel is most appreciated. How can one not love the OTT way Geena disposes of the baddie with that most perfectly delivered BAD DAWG, accentuated by that delicious orchestral finish !!!! biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    I don't know. In some ways, Cutthroat Island's score actually made the film worse. It was so overbearingly loud that it became goofy. It's great fun outside of the movie though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2015 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Just finished my second spin of The Force Awakens. Much more enjoyable the second time around as I get more familiar with the new themes. Still not blown away by it but there's some pretty spectacular moments... and some weird ones!

-Erik-

It's interesting. I've heard it a couple of times now. I listen to it while I'm online, and my mind drifts away in large portions of the score, but then it pays attention on a few occasions -- like the WAR HORSE-meets-THE BOOK THIEF track "The Scavenger" ( which features a nice rendition of "Rey's Theme"), "March of the Resistance", "Scherzo for X-Wings" and the last track. The rest kinda goes in one ear and out the other.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. "Rey's Theme" sounds like it's something that would be better suited to a Harry Potter film. I do find on subsequent listenings that the score does offer hints of familiar themes but when the familiar themes are stated in full then they sound, more often than not, pretty clumsily inserted into the new material. This latter complaint is particularly obvious when the themes are inserted into the action scoring, and is a complaint I had when I first heard Return of the Jedi.

Ignoring the prequel trilogy, The Force Awakens reminds me most (from the original trilogy) of Return of the Jedi, my least favourite original trilogy scores. At the moment, this new Star Wars score probably sits below the third installment of the OT.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Score-wise, I'm afraid this is at the bottom of the saga for me (as you know, ROTJ is not only my favourite SW score, but my second favourite score of all time!). But it's still quite good in places, and compared to a lot of other stuff, it fares very well indeed.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    I think it's the worst Star Wars score by a long shot. Repeated listens have clarified the thematic material but haven't made the action writing (of which there's a lot) any less bland.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Josh B wrote
    I don't know. In some ways, Cutthroat Island's score actually made the film worse. It was so overbearingly loud that it became goofy. It's great fun outside of the movie though.

I don't remember, I've only seen the film once and that was more than enough. I'm not a huge fan of the score anyway, don't get me wrong, I like it but IMO it's nothing to rave about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Josh B wrote

Yeah... no. The score is gangbusters in the movie.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2015
    The Force Awakens... getting better with each subsequent listen! Loving Kylo Ren's motif!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens - John Williams

I don't know. Repeated listens have definitely made the first half better (especially action cues like "I Can Fly Anything" and "The Falcon) but I'm finding the climax of the score deadly boring. Cues like "Torn Apart" and "The Ways of the Force" are barely registering for me. I probably went into this with the wrong expectations. I see the film in a few hours so we'll see how it all works in context.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Hateful Eight

Edmund is not going to be surprised by my rating for this one. A bit Untouchables, a bit U-Turn, a (little) big spaghetti, it certainly doesn't pull any punches - and it's written by a man who's older than virtually anyone I've ever met?
  3. NP: The Force Awakens (2015) - John Williams

The score is different from every other SW score that went before and that is a good thing. There are no thematic set pieces but the themes are there, old and new ones. the 77 minutes of the score are crammed with beautiful music. Any ranking at this point would be unfair, as I won't compare a score on first listen to others that I have listened to for years. I like this score a lot. In time I may love it.

As to the film: I just read Nordling's review over at Ain't it Cool News and he perfectly echoes my assessment of it.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2015
    I pretty much disagree with every single point he makes.
    Star Wars starts in media res as well, and also suggests a massive backstory we never get to know (until 1999). ANd it mattered nought.
    The Empire Strikes Back is not even vaguely a self-contained movie as he suggests. At all! I vividly remember my 11-year old amazement and frustration at the massive cliffhanger.
    There is nothing, nothing "clumsy" about The Force Awakens: its pacing and the way it shortcuts any lengthy and boring exposition is nothing short of brilliant.
    Et cetera and so forth.

A couple of old people (yeah...my generation slant ) somehow lost the fact that Star Wars has never cared about background and motivation. NO ONE asked why Ben wanted to live on Tatooine. NO ONE cared how this "Empire" came to be. NO ONE gave a shit about the ALliance command structure. NO ONE bothered with Luke not taking a proper grieving period after his family was murdered.

But now, suddenly, some people need Star Wars to be a cross between Citizen Kane, The Wire and M*A*S*H. We need "motivation" and explanation", or it's "hollow"
    But it's not.
    It will never be.

The Force Awakens is a slap-dash mythical action potboiler that nostalgically references a mythical slapdash action potboiler that nostalgically references Saturday matinee science fiction serials.
    It appeals to archetypical plotlines and characters.
    It echoes every fairytale story we have ever heard, every saga and every legend.

Stop looking for more.
    You won't get it.
    And if you do, it won't be Star Wars any more.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Wow, fair enough. Of course you omit all the positive points Nordling makes.

Just three personal points:

The first one is strictly personal: The "The Empire is dead, long live the alliance" situation at the end of ROJ always had a great emotional meaning for me. I brought closure to the story in a fairy tale kind of way. The wicked witch was dead. Good had won over evil. Our heroes would happily live ever after. This film has taken that away from me. That doesn't say anything about the film being good or bad.

[spoiler]Secondly: The film references A NEW HOPE in such detail that at some point in the movie I thought I would have felt better had they actually done a straight remake.

Thirdly: I would have wished for a more heroic end for Han Solo. I presume that kind of exit was reserved for Luke who will step into the Ben Kenoby part in Episode VIII. And he will have his "Run, Rey, run" moment.
    [/spoiler]

I loved the visuals of the film, the great acting, the new characters, I definitely want to know how the story continues.

Volker
  5. NP: The Hateful Eight (2015) - Ennio Morricone
    The Morricone cues only.

You don't expect composers that age to reinvent themselves. This is great craftsmanship, instantly recognizable Morricone. Probably highly functional in context.

It irritates me that Tarantino calls this a "Spaghetti Western" score in the liner notes, for a) Morricone doesn't like this term. and b) It isn't, although it does have a big "Spaghetti Western" moment.

I don't like the album presentation at all.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    Wow, fair enough. Of course you omit all the positive points Nordling makes.

Well, his positive points are just 'it's a good cast' and 'I like the dialogue', neither of which are really Star Wars specific. I just get annoyed by these completely unrealistic expectations. This massive list of "open points" he brings forward just sounds really odd to me.

That said, I would never argue against a personal attachment: I get what you're saying about 'breaking' the definitiveness' of the 'happily ever after' ending of Return Of The Jedi. In that sense a sequel should NEVER have been made. A mythical tale won't continue to see Snow White divorced, how Ulysses got to be a potbellied, gout-ridden grouch, or England falling apart after Arthur's death.

But there we are, and in many ways this IS a retelling, a reboot, and I really think we're going down the original "hero's journey and final resemption" path again. I agree with your point two. I think that COULD have been handled more creatively (without changing the overall story in the slightest), but your third point...well, dramatically I found it a VERY powerful bit of storytelling.
    But I understand. Again, as part of a mythos you would expect another solution.
  6. NP: The Monkey King (2014) - Christopher Young

I was aware of the reputation that this score has gained but so far never listened to it. Now that Intrada launched a physical release I obtained it. Good thing I did. A spectacular score!

smile Volker
  7. NP: Pinchcliffe Gand Prix (1975) - Bent Fabricius-Bjerre

What a delightful ragtime / easy listening experience! A perfect score to play in the background while cleaning up the place. smile I want to see the film again now, which I remember only most dimly.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Pinchcliffe Gand Prix (1975) - Bent Fabricius-Bjerre

What a delightful ragtime / easy listening experience! A perfect score to play in the background while cleaning up the place. smile I want to see the film again now, which I remember only most dimly.

Volker

Glad you enjoy it, Volker. It's my favourite archival release of the year, but I've been kinda bummed by the lukewarm response from non-Norwegian people. Guess you had to be there.
    I am extremely serious.