• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2015
    Much like Bobby Cliff's relationship with cricket - I don't like it, I LOVE IT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2015
    I'm still listening to THE FORCE AWAKENS. It's been on repeat since the 16th. I love it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Southall wrote
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I know this is going to be controversial, but I'd say this is Williams's best score in at least two years and the best Star Wars score in at least ten.

I prefer Sith, if only because the tone of the film allowed Williams to really lay on the choral bombast and tragedy. It's significantly better than AOTC though, especially as heard in the film. There's endless mostly unreleased cues where very little is happening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    Southall wrote
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I know this is going to be controversial, but I'd say this is Williams's best score in at least two years and the best Star Wars score in at least ten.

Not sure what's controversial about that. I'd go as far to say it is his best score since 2005. Add War Horse and Tintin and you have his top 3 scores post 2005. It is not one of the strongest Star Wars scores though.
  1. R2, they've hit our sarcasm detectors!
  2. Washu wrote

It is not one of the strongest Star Wars scores though.

I think that depends on what you expect from a Star Wars score. Indeed there isn't a "gassenhauer", a tune that you might whistle upon leaving the theatre. Maybe it's not in the nature of this kind of Star Wars.
    [spoiler]The film opens with a scene of war crime that looks like it was inspired by the eastern front of WW II in 1942. I have never seen anything like this in SW, war was never that real. An overblown peace like the Imperial March simply wouldn't fit here.[/spoiler]
    Other than that I believe this is a SW as strong as anything that went before.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    R2, they've hit our sarcasm detectors!

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. NP: The Hateful Eight (Ennio Morricone)

Was expecting ... MORE of this. It's good, classy and the opening track will sound amazing in the film, BUT again I was expecting more. Perhaps more diverse music, more upbeat music or tongue in cheek.

Ah well, good but it will not get in my top 20
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    R2, they've hit our sarcasm detectors!

lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. NP: Vier Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel / Cinderella (1973) - Karel Svoboda

The score from this massively popular Czech / German film is hereabouts what elsewhere might be HOME ALONE: The film music for Christmas.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Vier Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel / Cinderella (1973) - Karel Svoboda

The score from this massively popular Czech / German film is hereabouts what elsewhere might be HOME ALONE: The film music for Christmas.

smile Volker

It's ten times more popular in Norway, I dare say. It's been one of the cornerstones of Norwegian culture and Christmas TV since the 70s. In fact, the recent restoration was co-funded by Norwegian institutions.

I caught glimpses of it earlier today (again). The music by Svoboda is gorgeous. What a tragic story with Svoboda, who commited suicide in 07.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas - James Horner

The first (and probably last) Christmas score I've listened to this year. It's not as good as some other scores but in terms of scores for Ron Howard films that feature fart noises it's certainly among the top few.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    'The Sleigh of Presents' is a 5 star track.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I just realised this is a score I've never heard. I haven't seen the film so that means I've heard none of it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    'The Sleigh of Presents' is a 5 star track.

Just went to YT to give this track a listen. darned good it is too despite not being the best medium to listen to a track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Just played: THE HATEFUL EIGHT - Ennio Morricone

LOVED it. It's like a badass homage to Bernard Herrmann filtered through Ennio Morricone, more Death Rides a Horse than L'Arena. Mean in a fun way. I'm sure this will work brilliantly in the film, which I'm really looking forward to seeing now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2015
    BobdH wrote
    Just played: THE HATEFUL EIGHT - Ennio Morricone

LOVED it. It's like a badass homage to Bernard Herrmann filtered through Ennio Morricone, more Death Rides a Horse than L'Arena. Mean in a fun way. I'm sure this will work brilliantly in the film, which I'm really looking forward to seeing now.

More than Herrmann, I get a definite Wojciech Kilar vibe from the score. Not quite my cup of tea (beyond the wagon cue), but I'm sure it's very effective in the film, which I look forward to very much.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry

The original of course.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Home Alone - John Williams

What else? Williams' music is masterful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2015 edited
    Uploading some photos to Facebook this afternoon. Keeping me company is Marc Shaiman's brilliant warm score to THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT. I wish Shaiman would get more film score assignments. He's a wonderful melodist.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2015
    The Force Awakens

Yeah, okay. It's pretty awesome. I'm never trusting a first listen ever again.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2015
    Steven wrote
    The Force Awakens

Yeah, okay. It's pretty awesome. I'm never trusting a first listen ever again.

So true!
  5. It just gets better and better the more you listen to it!
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2015
    NP: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

First listen to the score. Saw the film on the 22nd and loved it. Absolutely LOVED it. Felt 12 years old again for a couple of hours there!

The score: Absolutely love it, too, even here on my first listen. From what I've been reading, I'd been worried that I wouldn't like it on my first listen, but I do.

And the best thing is that it's probably only going to get better with each subsequent listen. :-D
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Oh it will, it will. It's a fantastic score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Peter and Wendy - Maurizio Malagnini

One of 2015's very best scores!

-Erik-
  6. NP: The Black Hole (1979) - John Barry

The textures of sound, making creative us of the orchestra and combining it with electronic elements, that Barry created for this score are unique and make the music instantly recognizable. The main title theme is one of the iconic themes of cinematic space opera. Those qualities make up for some of the underscore being a bit Barry on autopilot.

Volker
  7. NP: The Last Starfighter (1984) - Craig Safan

Again an iconic main theme. The underscore is better IMO than is often given credit for. Yet the electronic elements - in contrast to THE BLACK HOLE - tend to annoy me. Still a very solid space opera score.

Volker
  8. The Force Awakens. Probably the last time for a while. I gave this great score various runs lately. Also I watched a lot of Star Wars. When I will have seen TFA again this afternoon, I'll take a break from SW and focus on other things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2015
    shocked WHY?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn