• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2015
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, if it's any comfort, I doubt there will be many picks in my top 10 (to be published in a new Celluloid Tunes episode soon) that correspond with yours, or most else's.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Josh B wrote
    Creed - Ludwig Göransson

Man, Göransson certainly doesn't want you to forget his theme, does he? Fortunately it's a good one. The rest of the score sounded good too, based on this first listen. Will definitely listen again.

I'm glad we have a theme to begin with, not like say 70% of the scores of today that think a theme or melody isn't important

great score smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Muhammad - The Messenger of God - A.R. Rahman

I'm quite enjoying this, but it's a kind of world music thing that I thought had gone away a decade or more ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We could only hope.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    We did, in vain it would appear. A fatwa seems a fairly extreme response to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2015 edited
    ROBOCOP - POLEDOURIS

I had to listen to this one again, as I occasionally do. A real superhero score IMO. Not at all doom and gloom. Lots of grand, emotional and exciting moments. The Intrada release is wonderful, but only if I program out 'Big is Better' ! cheesy

Bless director Verhoeven for bringing out the best of his composers. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

I'm quite enjoying this, but it's a kind of world music thing that I thought had gone away a decade or more ago.

One of my 'honourable mentions' of the year! Rahman was part of establishing that 'world music thing', so it's not strange that he continues to tap into that territory.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    ROBOCOP - POLEDOURIS

I had to listen to this one again, as I occasionally do. A real superhero score IMO. Not at all doom and gloom. Lots of grand, emotional and exciting moments. The Intrada release is wonderful, but only if I program out 'Big is Better' ! cheesy

Bless director Verhoeven for bringing out the best of his composers. punk

punk

Best score to an Iron Man movie EVER!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Ha ! Robo's the true iron man, had never thought of it that way ! He'd kick the Marvel guy's ass.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2016
    Creed - Ludvig Goransson

Struggling to see what everyone loves about this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2016
    Me too. His music for Community outshines anything from that score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2016
    Southall wrote
    Creed - Ludvig Goransson

Struggling to see what everyone loves about this.

Same here. I love you in 'drunk' mode, James. You should do it more often!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anomalisa - Carter Burwell

What the HELL is this!?
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Steven wrote
    Me too. His music for Community outshines anything from that score.

I was always kinda bummed that the later seasons of Community really cut down on the use of original score. Some of the earlier gimmick episodes had some really good music (like the one about conspiracy theories).
  3. NP: Heidi (2015) - Niki Reiser

Wonderful. You can always trust Reiser to write a playful, melodic score for a children's feature film.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. NP: Indiana Jones: The Crystal Skull (2008) - John Williams

A very decent action score if not as brilliant as its predecessors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2016
    NP: WORLDS APART (Kostas Christides)

A very impressive score to land on my doorstep (well, electronic doorstep) just before New Year's. Never heard of the film or the Greek composer, but one to watch out for. Lush and symphonic and slightly melancholic.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2016 edited
    NP: Muhammad: The Messenger of God - A.R. Rahman

This could have been written for The Passion of the Christ. Is that blasphemous to say?

Anywho, the lyrical score is a mix of traditional symphony orchestra and traditional Iranian/middle eastern instrumentation. It's pretty huge. "Ababeel", the third track on the album, it's quite large with the backing of a grand choir. Religious epics rarely fail to inspire. When it's good, it's damn good. But it dies during the latter half of the score. I wish I could hear it in context.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens John Williams

It just gets better and better. I'm annoyed at myself for being disappointed with it initially. Very annoyed.
  5. It's odd how every single film score fan has had this reaction to the score. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Except me (of course). It's grown a bit on me, but it's still a disappointment, relatively speaking. Still, it's in my 'honourable mentions' of the year, so it can't be all bad. Disappointing Williams is still very good stuff!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    It's odd how every single film score fan has had this reaction to the score. shocked

I didn't. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Good Dinosaur - M and J Danna

It's pleasant but doesn't really leave much impression. I like the big Powell-inspired cue towards the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote

I just noticed that the film was shot by the great Vittorio Storaro. My interest in seeing it has just increased from zero.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    It's odd how every single film score fan has had this reaction to the score. shocked

'The Resistance' has shot up as one of my top cues of 2015. It's short, but oh-so-sweet.
  6. Speaking about rock musicians doing film scores:

NP: Local Hero (1983) - Mark Knopfler

Never saw the film. The album is all right if not among Knopfler's best stuff. "Going Home" never fails to bring a big smile to my face.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2016

I like this more than Force Awakens.
  7. Thor wrote
    NP: WORLDS APART (Kostas Christides)

A very impressive score to land on my doorstep (well, electronic doorstep) just before New Year's. Never heard of the film or the Greek composer, but one to watch out for. Lush and symphonic and slightly melancholic.

I was very surprised by it too, opening track is definitely inspired by Alexandre Desplat
    Lovely score
  8. Southall wrote
    The Good Dinosaur - M and J Danna

It's pleasant but doesn't really leave much impression. I like the big Powell-inspired cue towards the end.

It makes a better impression in the movie, that's true