• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2016
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: WORLDS APART (Kostas Christides)

A very impressive score to land on my doorstep (well, electronic doorstep) just before New Year's. Never heard of the film or the Greek composer, but one to watch out for. Lush and symphonic and slightly melancholic.

I was very surprised by it too, opening track is definitely inspired by Alexandre Desplat
    Lovely score

Must admit I can't hear the Desplat influence. If I had, I probably wouldn't have liked it as much. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I was just going to say. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The Leftovers - Max Richter
    Very good, estranging and melancholy score to a series with a fascinating premise but, unfortunately, very, VERY flawed execution. The score hinges on two main themes, the title theme and the Departure cue, but they're both so strong they easily hold the album together.
    A most unexpected but very welcome addition to increasing quality TV scoring!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Very good, estranging and melancholy score to a series with a fascinating premise but, unfortunately, very, VERY flawed execution. The score hinges on two main themes, the title theme and the Departure cue, but they're both so strong they easily hold the album together.

The series is good, but now that we've had two seasons, it seems to venture in the age-old Lindelof trap of writing oneself away -- one mystery taking over the next without any kind of resolution of the last.

The score is absolutely fantastic, and my favourite in the TV category last year (actually 2014).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Empire Strikes Back John Williams

Force Awakens is great. Superb even. But there's no substitute for the best.
  2. What a coincidence! I'm wrapping up the movie now!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The other Star Wars films I could easily ditch (yes, even the first). But this is one I shall take to the grave.

I've yet to see Force Awakens mind you. Though I don't suppose it will top Empire. I'm sure it's better than Jedi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My favourite scene in the entire trilogy is without question this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

That may just have been the most surreal (and funniest) thing I've seen in some time.

I was gonna say "all year" but just in time realised the limited portent of that particular span.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've watched it an embarrassing amount of times.

Don't fall asleep. Don't... fall... asleep.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2016
    NP: THE WHITE MASAI - Niki Reiser

I have a huge soft-spot for African sounds and this particular score strikes an effective balance of "ethnic" and "Western orchestral". Love it.
  3. Steven wrote

I love that. So much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    The score hinges on two main themes, the title theme and the Departure cue, but they're both so strong they easily hold the album together.

Then you will like his album Memoryhouse and Blue Notebooks a lot! A lot of Leftovers is very similar to some of the themes of those two non-score cd's.
    Kazoo
  4. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: WORLDS APART (Kostas Christides)

A very impressive score to land on my doorstep (well, electronic doorstep) just before New Year's. Never heard of the film or the Greek composer, but one to watch out for. Lush and symphonic and slightly melancholic.

I was very surprised by it too, opening track is definitely inspired by Alexandre Desplat
    Lovely score

Must admit I can't hear the Desplat influence. If I had, I probably wouldn't have liked it as much. smile

I am not a big fan of Desplat, and haven't heard much from him. But still I picked up the influence. I think it's Birth that it's inspired about. Bregt? tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Godzilla Alexandre Desplat

I'll be surprised if it beats this score, but I'll be equally surprised if he doesn't manage to knock the upcoming 'Rogue One' from the same director out of the park.

A Desplat Star Wars score. I can't even.
  5. I look forward to that score and to the film project in general. They have much more creative range with that one than with TFA. The only thing that irks me is the idea of a digitally resurrected Peter Cushing.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. Steven wrote

I'm much less excited about this than I know I should be. I can think of at least ten composers I'd be much happier to see scoring a Star Wars movie. On the other hand, I can think of at least a hundred who I'd take Desplat over in a heartbeat, so I guess I should look on the bright side. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There are a few composers I'd feel as excited about scoring a Star Wars film, but none so more than Desplat. He's displayed on numerous occasions he has a Star Wars score bursting to come out of him.
  7. I must have missed all those occasions...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2016 edited
    I'm not only skeptical of the upcoming STAR WARS score by Desplat, I absolutely dread and fear it. It's like a nightmare. It's scary that two of the composers I dislike the most these days -- Desplat and Giacchino -- are taking over the franchises I like so much.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    This pleases me for some reason.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha, ha....I figured.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. The Matrix (Deluxe Edition)

Fan-effin-tastic ! Not an easy listen at times, but exciting, complex, and never anything less than highly original.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ One of THE greatest scores ever composed. Hell, one of the greatest film music trilogies of all time.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    I'm a bit bummed that Davis didn't stick with film scoring. His Matrix scores are awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Monkey King - Christopher Young

I like this a lot.
  9. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote

I'm much less excited about this than I know I should be. I can think of at least ten composers I'd be much happier to see scoring a Star Wars movie. On the other hand, I can think of at least a hundred who I'd take Desplat over in a heartbeat, so I guess I should look on the bright side. smile

I'm sure we all know which composer you'd love to see score the Anthology films. smile

"Rouge One" will be a SW film mostly sans mythology. If I understand correctly it will essentially be a thriller set in the SW universe. This calls for another kind of score. Surely not a "Bourne" clone. (Which Powell wouldn't do either.) I can see Desplat find the formula for this.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wonder if Ewan McGregor will be in Rouge One.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote

I'm sure we all know which composer you'd love to see score the Anthology films. smile

"Rouge One" will be a SW film mostly sans mythology. If I understand correctly it will essentially be a thriller set in the SW universe. This calls for another kind of score. Surely not a "Bourne" clone. (Which Powell wouldn't do either.) I can see Desplat find the formula for this.

Actually, this film takes place shortly before the opening of Star Wars. It's about the group that stole the plans for the first Death Star. This doesn't call for another kind of score. It calls for a Star Wars score, which I hope has tons of variations on the Rebel Fanfare!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. Star Wars: Battlefront (Gordy Haab)

Not counting the re-used stuff from the original trilogy, the new music could've been written by the 50 year old Williams. Or another composer that does his very best to imitate that unmistakable SW sound. In a perfect world it would've been the former, but in this far from perfect world, we can still be happy it's the latter. The 70 minute gamerip (isolated music files taken from the game's disc) has no structure though, it needs a genius editor to mix it all together in cohesive whole, and create some sort of musical narrative out of it. Because like this it's a selection of Star Wars moments glued together, and not something that would come from the brilliant mind of the maestro.

Now who will take on that almost impossible job? Any genius editors around here? smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.