• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2016
    Tomorrowland Michael Giacchino

I don't understand how anyone could not be head over heals in love with this. It's one of his best, and one of the best from last year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jurassic World Michael Giacchino

As above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    Tomorrowland Michael Giacchino

I don't understand how anyone could not be head over heals in love with this. It's one of his best, and one of the best from last year.

It works in album form but there are a few things that annoy me. First, the muffled mix. Not sure why the score sounds like it does since Dan Wallin is no longer in the picture. There are highlights... we discussed "Pin-Ultimate Experience" a few days ago... but the Grail Theme theme from The Last Crusade is incredibly irritating... especially in the uneven film. And of course, there is a lot of Chris Tilton's Sin City in the score. It's a fun listen but, IMO, no where near his best.

And Jurassic World is PANTS, IMO.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You've been visiting Thor too much in Weirtadedland! JW is fantastic. Anyway. I've never noticed the Grail Theme? Where is it? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    It's not actually the variation of the "Grail" theme but the "Henry Jones Senior" theme.
    I love Tomorrowland. One of THE scores of 2015!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    A Desplat Star Wars score. I can't even.

I'm much less excited about this than I know I should be. I can think of at least ten composers I'd be much happier to see scoring a Star Wars movie. On the other hand, I can think of at least a hundred who I'd take Desplat over in a heartbeat, so I guess I should look on the bright side. smile

I'm sure we all know which composer you'd love to see score the Anthology films. smile

"Rouge One" will be a SW film mostly sans mythology. If I understand correctly it will essentially be a thriller set in the SW universe. This calls for another kind of score. Surely not a "Bourne" clone. (Which Powell wouldn't do either.) I can see Desplat find the formula for this.

Actually, this film takes place shortly before the opening of Star Wars. It's about the group that stole the plans for the first Death Star. This doesn't call for another kind of score. It calls for a Star Wars score, which I hope has tons of variations on the Rebel Fanfare!

-Erik-

I wonder. It's an under cover operation, with little of the Rebellion acting in the open. I'll be interesting to see if Desplat will use the Imperial March. It's there in "Clones" - only in the End Credits - it's not in "A New Hope".

I don't think Obi Wan will have any part in this. It's only in "A New Hope" that he re-enters the stage. This film will be Jedi-free, or so I predict.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Atham wrote
    It's not actually the variation of the "Grail" theme but the "Henry Jones Senior" theme.

THANK YOU. Everyone keeps calling it the Grail theme. crazy

Steven, it's all over the score, "Edge of Tomorrowland" and "What an Eiffel" especially.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Star Wars: Battlefront (Gordy Haab)

Not counting the re-used stuff from the original trilogy, the new music could've been written by the 50 year old Williams. Or another composer that does his very best to imitate that unmistakable SW sound. In a perfect world it would've been the former, but in this far from perfect world, we can still be happy it's the latter. The 70 minute gamerip (isolated music files taken from the game's disc) has no structure though, it needs a genius editor to mix it all together in cohesive whole, and create some sort of musical narrative out of it. Because like this it's a selection of Star Wars moments glued together, and not something that would come from the brilliant mind of the maestro.

Now who will take on that almost impossible job? Any genius editors around here? smile

I wanna give this one a shot smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven, it's all over the score, "Edge of Tomorrowland" and "What an Eiffel" especially.

Yes, I suppose I can hear it now it's been pointed out. But I think it manages to be its own thing. (These things don't seem to bother me as much as it does for others. I've read some very odd complaints about this score.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote
    I love Tomorrowland. One of THE scores of 2015!

Reason prevails.
  4. NP: Inside Out (2015) - Michael Giacchino

This was in the mail today. I never saw the film but I certainly need to do so. Since Giacchino has long since come to be one of my favourite composers and much good was said about this score I had it shipped in from GB. Indeed another delightful animation score by Giacchino. Fun!

Volker
  5. Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Yes, I suppose I can hear it now it's been pointed out. But I think it manages to be its own thing. (These things don't seem to bother me as much as it does for others. I've read some very odd complaints about this score.)

I just revisited those cues and I agree with Steven.
  6. I don't much like that theme in general. Something about it feels "amateurish" to me. I can't shake it.

But it sounding like Indy isn't the reason.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2016 edited
    yeah

It's a clunky, dead theme that never really develops.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. I think the music is awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I don't much like that theme in general. Something about it feels "amateurish" to me. I can't shake it.

But it sounding like Indy isn't the reason.

Erik Woods wrote
    yeah

It's a clunky, dead theme that never really develops.

-Erik-

dizzy

Fair do's!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sphere Elliot Goldenthal

The recently leaked complete version. I kept 80 minutes out of 100. Hellish music in places -- and a bliss to listen to. A truly great score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens - John Williams

This is so good. I can imagine I'm going to continue listening to it and commenting on it frequently.
  8. But not in 2016. Leap year, remember?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2016
    Jupiter Ascending Michael Giacchino

It's incredible how relatively unique Giacchino's three 2015 live-action scores are from one another given that they were all written for rather outlandish -and silly- sci-fi action adventures. (Two of which I love; the other is a Wachowski's film.)
  9. Steven wrote
    Sphere Elliot Goldenthal

The recently leaked complete version. I kept 80 minutes out of 100. Hellish music in places -- and a bliss to listen to. A truly great score.

I've heard some snippets and intend to listen to all of it soon. But yeah, it'll probably need to be trimmed into something like 60-70 minutes (for me). It ends with the most requested cue which is the only way Sphere should end !
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    Sphere Elliot Goldenthal

I've heard some snippets and intend to listen to all of it soon. But yeah, it'll probably need to be trimmed into something like 60-70 minutes (for me). It ends with the most requested cue which is the only way Sphere should end !

cool, I want to hear that expended too
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lionheart Jerry Goldsmith

Melodies, melodies, everywhere. My favourite 'Knights' Goldsmith score. (I can think of three. Did he do any prior to this?)
  11. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    Sphere Elliot Goldenthal

cool, I want to hear that expended too

It's there where the sun doesn't shine, you know its name. smile

Predator 2 (Deluxe Edition)

The word badass was invented to express what I feel right now. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    In the Heart of the Sea - Roque Banos

Hmm. Banos impersonates Zimmer. Would rather hear Banos being Banos, or Zimmer being Zimmer. It's not bad I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Incredibly disappointing!

-Erik-
  12. "Klendathu Drop" from Starship Troopers (Poledouris)

Some silly piece of TV junk was synced with this earlier this evening and I couldn't place it. Drove me nuts. Now that I remembered it I can sleep peacefully.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Now I wish I'd listened to Starship Troopers instead of In the Heart of the Sea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2016
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Incredibly disappointing!

-Erik-

Agreed. Very generic. Hardly any trace of the Banos I know and like.

Looking forward to seeing the film, though.
    I am extremely serious.