• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2016
    The film looks like CGI bollocks. What's with this trend of 'stories behind the stories based on the story of a book'? Just do the damn story, or don't do it at all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The film looks like CGI bollocks. What's with this trend of 'stories behind the stories based on the story of a book'? Just do the damn story, or don't do it at all.

I saw the film ( free tickets so I shouldn't complain too much ), it takes massive liberties with the true story and I can't be arsed to say what was wrong, I was entertained but very disappointed too, I'll leave it at that.

I agree with Thor, James and Erik that the score was very disappointing. Why employ Banos and get him to give an MV/RC/Zimmer score? Bits were good but I have no interest in listening to it again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2016 edited
    Going through a personal compilation of some of my favourite scores and cues of 2015 (prepaing three new shows for January) and Giacchino's INSIDE OUT end credits started to play. I'm not a huge fan of the score as a whole but man, what an end credit piece!!! It's a fun, loungy jazz piece that last for over 8 minutes and ends on an emotional high. Edmund mentioned a few days ago that Williams was the only one who composed a great end credit suite in 2015. Bullocks!. Giacchino does it all the time!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I saw the film ( free tickets so I shouldn't complain too much ), it takes massive liberties with the true story and I can't be arsed to say what was wrong, I was entertained but very disappointed too, I'll leave it at that.

I agree with Thor, James and Erik that the score was very disappointing. Why employ Banos and get him to give an MV/RC/Zimmer score? Bits were good but I have no interest in listening to it again.

This is actually a decent film. The only issue for me is the CGI aspect. (Something which even hurts The Revenant, funnily enough, when it comes to animals.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2016 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Going through a personal compilation of some of my favourite scores and cues of 2015 (prepaing three new shows for January) and Giacchino's INSIDE OUT end credits started to play. I'm not a huge fan of the score as a whole but man, what an end credit piece!!! It's a fun, loungy jazz piece that last for over 8 minutes and ends on an emotional high. Edmund mentioned a few days ago that Williams was the only one who composed a great end credit suite in 2015. Bullocks!. Giacchino does it all the time!

I agree with you about Inside Out. Fantastic piece. I also would add the End Title of Bridge of Spies, which is another great piece.
    Kazoo
  2. Giacchino is generally an exception to the rule, yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yes, Bregt. Thomas Newman wrote an incredibly strong score for Bridge of Spies, which also included a dynamite end credit suite!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Sometimes I actually wish that some of the orchestration he added to the material in the end credit suite was present in the rest of the score (namely, the snare in the suspense/action theme).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Monster Hunt (Leon Ko)

Addictive and fun main theme (too bad it's all a bit synthesized), the rest is a bit hit and miss too
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. NP: The Leftovers (Max Richter)

Actually there's only about 8-10 tracks I regularly play on this album, but they are really something. Talk about a score that elevates whatever it comes into contact with.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2016
    Ash vs Evil Dead Joseph Loduca

Catching up to Agents of SHIELD as my most-listened to TV score of 2015. Excellent, film-quality scoring for a great (yet flawed) series.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2016
    NP : DANCES WITH WOLVES - John Barry

I've played this LLL release a few times since I received it, what an awesome score it is. Man but I miss John Barry.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Timmer, what does the expanded release offer that isn't already on the original album? That's a wonderful score, but I'm quite happy with the original album. I might still get it, but I've been on the fence.

NP: FATHERS AND DAUGHTERS - Paolo Buonvino

This is very nice. Jon Broxton highlighted is as one of his favorite less-well-known European scores this year. I'm a fan. "From Night to Dawn" is my favorite track so far - just gorgeous.
  7. I'd also like to know. I have the almost 80-minute long release with Jon Burlingame's notes and I don't think that, for me, more is necessary. I'd be glad to check out (and know) if there any glaring omissions in context of the previous expansion.
  8. NP: Nirgendwo in Afrika / Nowhere in Africa (2003) - Niki Reiser

Sweeping romantic orchestral score combined with African vibes.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  9. Chain Reaction (The Deluxe Edition) - Jerry G.

Call me crazy, but this works so much better in its recent 75 minute release than it did on the old Varèse album, which was 31 minutes long, and not nearly as fun. The improved sound quality really adds to the atmosphere of the score. Plus there are some neat extra action cues here, exciting stuff... And boy, does that little ping pong ball sound effect sound seriously awesome now !!! biggrin

Goldsmith on auto-pilot. But what a tremendous pilot he was !
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2016
    Rambo III Jerry Goldsmith

The expanded album is a little long with some dull moments, but an excellent 50 minute playlist can be made from it. 'Final Battle' is one of Goldsmith's greatest action cues, and should no doubt appeal to those who prefer thematic action over chaotic.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Brainstorm - James Horner

This really is the perfect Horner album. Not too long, not too short and the music is incredibly inspired in his early 80s style.
  10. Steven wrote

The expanded album is a little long with some dull moments, but an excellent 50 minute playlist can be made from it. 'Final Battle' is one of Goldsmith's greatest action cues, and should no doubt appeal to those who prefer thematic action over chaotic.

Rambo III is great ! I love it, all of it ! It's an action score that has an exceptional emotional core as well. It moves and excites me in equal measure.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

For me it will always be about who is doing thematic or the chaotic action.

Jerry Goldsmith was and remains the master.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith was and remains the master.

Indeed. Part of his signature action sound was the odd-beat rhythm + use of themes. He was able to create more excitement using less than most composers.
  11. I'd say artistically First Blood is the best and the anger suits the character so well, but if I had to value the scores in any way and rate them I'd say that the first Rambo is the best film score, Rambo 2 is the most fun, Rambo 3 the most emotional and....

Rambo 4 is the most misplaced use of any original material in a sequel score. Add some of Tyler's worst orchestrations and boring underscore to the equation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2016 edited
    The end titles suite is nice, with his theme tacked on the end. But it's the only thing I bother to return to from Tyler's score.

Masada Jerry Goldsmith

Name me a better TV score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    The end titles suite is nice, with his theme tacked on the end. But it's the only thing I bother to return to from Tyler's score.

Masada Jerry Goldsmith

Williams' JANE EYRE.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh snap. Maybe not better, but equal! (I didn't realise it was a TV film.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

Masada Jerry Goldsmith

Williams' JANE EYRE.

WINNER!

Masada is indeed a very fine score though. Another fantastic series score from Goldsmith is QB VII
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Goldsmith in Zion-mode is brilliant. Rekindling The Flame of Jehovah, one of his catchiest themes, and Kaddish for the Six Million, one of his most powerful, get regular plays from me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Masada Jerry Goldsmith

Call it 'Name a better TV series score' and I'll say you've got an arguable winner.
  12. Masada: The 1990 Varese CD was one of my earliest film music related purchases. I remember my excitement when I discovered this CD on the shelf of a shop. I prefer this LP recording (CBS or what was it originally?) to the Intrada OST presentation which still is an awesome release.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  13. PawelStroinski wrote
    Rambo 4 is the most misplaced use of any original material in a sequel score. Add some of Tyler's worst orchestrations and boring underscore to the equation.

I hated the music in the film... whenever he quotes ones of Jerry's themes, it comes off as cheesy and third-rate.
    Hollywood would be better off without him. He'd better start a rock band or something, so he can drum to his heart's content.