• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. That Ceti Alpha V worm in my ear was unplesant, but I enjoyed it.

Must kill Kirk.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2015
    Texas Rising Bruce Broughton & John Debney

It's not quite kick-you-in-the-nuts good, but it is very good nonetheless. I get more of a Broughton feel from this? It certainly appears to be his main theme which dominates. Or perhaps I'm not paying close enough attention to it... (plus, Debney isn't exactly unknown to ape other's styles, so there's that).

A proper rootin' tootin' western score, quite a nice surprise to hear in 2015.
  2. ANYONE IN GERMANY!

On arte television currently
    John Williams Gala; Walt Disney something Hall; LA Philharmonics; Gustavo Dudamel

EDIT: It's also on arte online library: http://concert.arte.tv/de
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    ANYONE IN GERMANY!

On arte television currently
    John Williams Gala; Walt Disney something Hall; LA Philharmonics; Gustavo Dudamel

EDIT: It's also on arte online library: http://concert.arte.tv/de

This was shown on Norwegian TV a couple of months ago, and has also recently been released on BluRay. I'm glad to see it going the rounds on television around the world.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Josh B wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Josh, can you share how you condensed it? What did you take out?

Sure! I went with the suggestion on Filmscoremonthly and that worked very well for me.

01 - 01. A Story About the Future 0:54
    02 - 02. A Prologue 1:29
    03 - 04. Boat Wait, There’s More! 1:08
    04 - 05. Edge of Tomorrowland 5:18
    05 - 06. Casey v Zeitgeist 1:23
    06 - 08. Pin-Ultimate Experience 4:54
    07 - 15. People Mover and Shaker 5:27
    08 - 16. What An Eiffel! 6:57
    09 - 20. The Battle of Bridgeway 2:52
    10 - 22. Electric Dreams 4:41
    11 - 23. Pins of a Feather 5:19
    12 - 24. End Credits 5:27

TOTAL TIME - 45:39

Amazing what an efficient playlist can do for an album. I approve!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    O Pioneers - Bruce Broughton

Very beautiful western score. Doesn't have the rousing moments of his famous two, but it's great all the same.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    O Pioneers - Bruce Broughton

Very beautiful western score. Doesn't have the rousing moments of his famous two, but it's great all the same.

The theme is wonderful. I even stole it for one of my uni projects. (I was looking for 'obscure but will get me a good grade'. I really should thank Bruce one day.)
  3. NP: There Came An Echo - Jimmy Hinson (aka Big Giant Circles)

There Came An Echo is a real-time strategy game apparently. Hinson's score is an enjoyable mix of orchestral and electronica beats.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. O Pioneers! is great. I like to listen to it and Lonesome Dove successively.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2015
    Journey Austin Wintory

One of the best game scores ever written (and one of the best games ever made). I was not initially so enamoured with this one, I suppose because it starts off fairly innocuously, but it gradually picks up the pace as the album progresses and culminates into a spectacular furore. If the word scoregasm applies, it's here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Really?
    Crikey.
    Don't hear the appeal myself at all. It just kinda....burbles along.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Tomorrowland | Michael Giacchino

I love it. So warm and light with exiting action and a bunch of great themes. Jupiter Ascending was bigger in scale, but this trumps it with pure charm.
  5. Martijn wrote
    Really?
    Crikey.
    Don't hear the appeal myself at all. It just kinda....burbles along.

I think you and I are probably the only two people who feel this way.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No, I'm a third. Not unpleasant but it just meanders on to the end.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I do appreciate where y'all are coming from, but after having played the game, a game which is more than simply moving a character on screen and killing bad guys (in fact it has no bad guys at all), the music is so perfectly wedded to the images and the feel of it, it's hard to divorce it from the game itself. It's brilliant. (Unfortunately, it's not like a film where I can simply recommend you watch it. You need, at least, a PS3 with t'Internet connection)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    't Will never happen. sad
    Much as I'd love to delve into the wrold of game consoles to completely anachronistically and incorrectly recreate parts of my misspent youth, I simply wouldn't know where to find the time.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Didn't care much for JOURNEY either (the score; haven't played the game).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2015 edited
    NP: FIRST KNIGHT (Jerry Goldsmith)

I clearly hadn't listened to this in a while when I mistook the final battle cue from this as something from THE FINAL CONFLICT (over on FSM). So here goes. It's obviously the original album release.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Obviously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Journey Austin Wintory

One of the best game scores ever written

It's my #1. One of those pieces of music that just connects with me and clicks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Obviously.

Fact is I'm not even aware if there's an expansion. I just take it for granted these days.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. There is and actually it's a case of a complete score that beats the original album, as there is a whole theme missing for some reason. Goldsmith was actually offered a longer album back in the day, but he decided against it due to the costs of paying the choir players for their work.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Obviously.

[give me attention]

Your wish is my command.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2015 edited
    Ha, ha....no, really. Half of the time I have no idea if there's an expansion out or not. If at some point I write "I'm listening to the original album", and someone says "but there is only that original album", I set myself up for a positive surprise!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2015
    Jupiter Ascending Michael Giacchino

Still my favourite score this year... until Star Wars that is. ('Eggs', 'basket'...whatever.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2015 edited
    NP: Supernova - Olivier Deriviere

Sublime! But it's sooooooo short! sad

"Supernova" is currently my favourite cue of the year! shocked punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Theory of Everything - Johan Johannsson

A little bit in love with this score at present. Jam packed with a gorgeous melodic flow of ideas.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Mama - Fernando Velazquez

A better than average horror score - until those killer final two cues, covering 17 mins, when it goes to another level. Extraordinary, powerhouse, just brutal action/horror music, some of the best I've heard in years.
  7. Tomorrowland - Michael Giacchino

Sounds pretty good so far, but I sure hope Giacchino asked his former protege Chris Tilton whether it would be OK to base large portions of it on his score for SimCity a couple years back...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sounds like I need to give Sim City a spin! Anything in particular?