• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2016 edited
    NP: THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON (Brian Tyler & Danny Elfman)

This is one of the times it frustrates me to be an Elfman completist -- that I have to get bombastic noisefests like this with practically no dynamic range, charm or interesting textures. This is the exact thing I want Elfman to STAY AWAY FROM these days, but I guess he can't help himself when he's being called upon to assist.

Rather horrible score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2016
    One of my favourites from last year. I prefer Elfman's theme over Silvestri's. Love it.
  1. I love it when Elfman is playing around with Silvestri's theme. The rest I would call some of the most competent-yet-forgettable music of the year, especially from Tyler, for whom the entire situation must have been rather frustrating.
  2. The Civil War (1990)

Traditional contemporary melodies and songs recorded for the acclaimed PBS documentary by Ken Burns. This is one of the few soundtracks whereby I appreciate the inclusion of dialogue. (Ok, it's just one line.) I love both, the series and the soundtrack. Both convey a profound feeling of sadness and loss and ultimately also of hope.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2016
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE H8TFUL EIGHT - Ennio Morricone

Moody brilliance. I'm totally loving this. I could do without the dialogue, to be frank, Tarantino's obsession with the N word is disturbing, the man has some hang ups, give it a break for cripes sake!

It's part of the story he's telling... Works fine in the movie, FWIW.
  3. NP: Steve Jobs (Daniel Pemberton)

Seriously effective and interesting score concept. I wish the film had ended with the piece 'I play the orchestra' -- would have complicated those final moments a bit more.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2016
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE H8TFUL EIGHT - Ennio Morricone

Moody brilliance. I'm totally loving this. I could do without the dialogue, to be frank, Tarantino's obsession with the N word is disturbing, the man has some hang ups, give it a break for cripes sake!

It's part of the story he's telling... Works fine in the movie, FWIW.

I haven't seen the film and so was only able to comment on the soundtrack. Regardless, his past record of N word proliferation says to me he has a hang up.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The N word is conversational in every Tarantino script. Some times is comes off as racist because the character saying it IS racist but most of the time it's just the way a character speaks. It feels real. And if you (this is not directed at you Timmer) pretend that the word is never used to this day then you are being naive.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think the vast majority here in the West are well aware the word is still used.

I don't have any problem with the N word used in the right context, it's just Tarantino's obsession with it that leaves me with a bad taste.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's at least one right context. When a nerdy guy gets with a beautiful woman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    I think the vast majority here in the West are well aware the word is still used.

I don't have any problem with the N word used in the right context, it's just Tarantino's obsession with it that leaves me with a bad taste.

I'm trying to think of a moment in a Tarantino movie where is wasn't "appropriate" in relation to the character saying it?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nigga, there isn't one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
  4. I'm going through The Wire now, and it might as well have been scripted by QT. Btw the realism and attention to detail this series portrays is fantastic.

MICHAEL COLLINS + FINAL FANTASY: THE SPIRITS WITHIN

Double the Elliot Goldenthal excellence. FF edges the other one. Man, do I miss his brilliant writing (for film).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. "I count six shots, nigga."

"I count two guns, nigga."

^ BEST lines from Django Unchained. lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2016
    Yellowstone - Edmund Butt

I loved this music when I watched the spectacular BBC documentary several years ago and was very disappointed it didn't get released at the time (though there was a promo, which I greatly enjoyed). Out of nowhere Silva is now releasing it. It really is terrific, probably the best of these Fenton-style scores not by Fenton himself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Yellowstone - Edmund Butt

I loved this music when I watched the spectacular BBC documentary several years ago and was very disappointed it didn't get released at the time (though there was a promo, which I greatly enjoyed). Out of nowhere Silva is now releasing it. It really is terrific, probably the best of these Fenton-style scores not by Fenton himself.

Agreed. This took me by surprise!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2016 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm trying to think of a moment in a Tarantino movie where is wasn't "appropriate" in relation to the character saying it?

-Erik-

Always seemed excessive to me. Next time I watch one of his movies ( and I like a few of them ) I'll try and take note of just how "appropriate" he uses it.

Like I said before, I think it's Tarantino who has a problem ( or maybe it's ME? He creeps me out )< there's something about him I don't trust.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, you've just seen Alias and From Dusk To Dawn too often.
    Took me forever to trust Ian McDiarmid in any other role.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Like I said before, I think it's Tarantino who has a problem ( or maybe it's ME? He creeps me out )< there's something about him I don't trust.

He's a little eccentric, to say the least, and probably doesn't do himself any favours at times (I'm reminded of a brawl he had with a nosy reporter). But that's about it really, as far as I can tell? He makes great films with great dialogue (nigger included), so perhaps I'm more forgiving than I should be. Still, I don't share your concerns there.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    From Dusk To Dawn

Salma Hayak ...oh my stars dizzy

Did you say Tarantino is in it? can't remember.

Salma Hayak .... love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

He's a little eccentric, to say the least, and probably doesn't do himself any favours at times (I'm reminded of a brawl he had with a nosy reporter). But that's about it really, as far as I can tell? He makes great films with great dialogue (nigger included), so perhaps I'm more forgiving than I should be. Still, I don't share your concerns there.

Fair nuff!

Please note I'm not being all PC, like I said, my problem is with Tarantino.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    From Dusk To Dawn

Salma Hayak ...oh my stars dizzy

Did you say Tarantino is in it? can't remember.

Salma Hayak .... love

Salma is not the only reason to not miss out on 'From Dusk Till Dawn' but she's a big one! cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2016 edited
    Pas De Deux James Horner

This was the high point he left on (for me), not the scores released in 2015. Wolf Totem has its moments for sure, but it wouldn't break my Horner Top 20.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE

That time of the year again... I honestly can't think of a better composed opening 45 minutes as what Williams wrote for this film. Talking about the FSM blue box presentation here, the first 9 cues (starting from track 2) are simply the sort of stuff why I became a fan of both the composer and the film. Perfection !

I paid a lot of money for the blue box, but Superman I, II (Ken Thorne) and IV (Alexander Courage) are so very worth it ! III (Thorne) is also fun and the animated series (Ron Jones) has its moments. And let's not forget the amazing book with the in-depth liner notes about each score. It's my second copy (which I keep in mint condition now) as the first one did fall apart after a while.

Edit: I'd like to add that I ALWAYS and WITH NEVER-ENDING ENTHUSIASM take out the time to listen to the full 2 hours of this masterpiece. I do so with ANH, TESB AND ROTJ as well. And the more I take out time to listen to them in my life, the better ! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2016
    Suites & Themes Jerry Goldsmith

One of my most listened-to compilation albums. Instant Goldsmith gratification.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ One of my all time favourite re-recordings! Tadlow has its work cut out for them to out do that Blue Max suite!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2016
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tadlow has its work cut out for them to out do that suite!

Are there plans in the pipeline?
  7. I believe most of these recordings are also on the 40 Years compilation. Is that right?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tadlow has its work cut out for them to out do that suite!

Are there plans in the pipeline?

I meant to single out The Blue Max suite. shame

And yes, Tadlow has newly recorded the complete score,
    http://www.tadlowmusic.com/2016/01/the- … goldsmith/

-Erik-