• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2016
    Erik Woods wrote
    You can also hear them in Saraha, which is credited to Clint Mansell, but you know that score was written by Nicholas Dodd. wink

Seriously? shocked
    That explains why I really like that score (which I thought such a pleasant departure from Mansell's usual style).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Brothers of The Wind - Sarah Class

Perhaps the first notable score of 2016? Written for a drama about a boy bringing up an abandoned eagle. Class' music soars and, in parts, is quite beautiful.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 … mp;sr=1-64

The clips sound quite lovely, indeed, although they're really too short to give a full impression.
    I've fallen into that trap (many times slant ) before: where the first few bars are really impressive, but then the track just meanders from there without much direction or strength, and this is simply repeated 23 times for each of the other tracks.
    I'll wait for some more reviews and maybe some longer samples before I get this one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    You can also hear them in Saraha, which is credited to Clint Mansell, but you know that score was written by Nicholas Dodd. wink

Seriously? shocked
    That explains why I really like that score (which I thought such a pleasant departure from Mansell's usual style).

Mansell absolutely didn't like composing this one because he had to force him too much to be different from what he usually does. They wanted a certain style for the score but I think those who asked never heard Mansell before, or something...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2016 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Seriously? shocked

Mansell absolutely didn't like composing this one because he had to force him too much to be different from what he usually does. They wanted a certain style for the score but I think those who asked never heard Mansell before, or something...

I don't know the exact behind-the-scenes of SAHARA, so I don't want to speculate (but if I were to, I'd say I think that whole "Dodd composing stuff" is overrated). But even if Dodd was more involved than usual, that doesn't mean Mansell is unable to compose in more traditional, orchestral styles. Just listen to the gorgeous STOKER.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Seriously? shocked

Yeah he was a bit bothered that we asked about Sahara sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Thor wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Seriously? shocked

I don't know the exact behind-the-scenes of SAHARA, so I don't want to speculate (but if I were to, I'd say I think that whole "Dodd composing stuff" is overrated). But even if Dodd was more involved than usual, that doesn't mean Mansell is unable to compose in more traditional, orchestral styles. Just listen to the gorgeous STOKER.

Stoker and Noah are still a very far cry from the sort of thing we hear in Sahara. I'd bet my entire John Powell collection that Dodd did a good sight more than "orchestrate" on that one.

But if you're referring to the Arnold scores, then yes, I'd say those rumors are unfounded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I don't know the exact behind-the-scenes of SAHARA, so I don't want to speculate (but if I were to, I'd say I think that whole "Dodd composing stuff" is overrated).

Ok... not composing stuff but taking Mansell's ideas and rounding them out with his own distinct orchestral arrangements. You'd be naive to think that Dodd's voice in NOT all over Sahara. Sahara sounds like David Arnold scored it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. NP: Suckas Fo Fellatio - Alexander Hoggard

Hoggard's score for this 30-minute action-comedy is another one of these 80s-style synth'n'drum pads score. And it's actually quite enjoyable.

Not sure what the film's about though.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2016 edited
    NP: FILMMUSIK (Björn Isfält)

Gorgeous compilation of film music by the late Swedish composer, responsible for several iconic Astrid Lindgren films and much more. This is getting very rare these days, so I had to suffice with a digital download.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote

Me neither, but it sounds like it blows.
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Me neither, but it sounds like it blows.

And the characters suck, apparently.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2016
    Revisiting a classic score REBECCA. This is part of the now defunct Naxos Film Classic series with Adriano conducting the Slovak Radio Symphony.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2016 edited
    NP: ANNE & ALET (Mark Rayen Candasamy)

Great score, a definite highlight from 2013 and a deserved IFMCA nomination. Mark used to post here, but I haven't heard from him in ages.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    By the way, how many pages do we usually go before "rebooting" this topic?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think we just have to wait until Bregt decides.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    We'd hit 100 pages and then start another one.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Just let this one bury itself. wave
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2016
    Well, here's the thing: there is no *reason* to start a new topic any more.
    In the old forum, the response would become sluggish when a topic got överloaded".
    No more.
    There is absolutely no reason to not let this particular thread run in all perpetuity!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2016 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Well, here's the thing: there is no *reason* to start a new topic any more.
    In the old forum, the response would become sluggish when a topic got överloaded".
    No more.
    There is absolutely no reason to not let this particular thread run in all perpetuity!

Normally, I would agree with you (I'm all pro having one topic in one thread!), but there's the issue of searching. Sometimes, I remember an old discussion in this thread that I want to find, and the search engine won't help me. So I enter APPROXIMATELY when I thought it was and turn the pages from there. If the thread is 2678 pages, that becomes more troublesome.

I think appr. 100 pages is a good time to "reboot".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2016
    Fine with me. smile