• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2015
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2015 edited
    NP: THE SALT OF THE EARTH (Laurent Petitgand)

The film was disappointing (I had expected more from Wim Wenders), but the score is wonderful. One of the best of the year (it's a 2015 release in Norway).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Pirate's Passage - Andrew Lockington

Beautiful lyrical force in this score for a childrens' animated feature. Not very Piratey (although a slight celtic slant here and there echoes some sea shanty goodness), but the wonderfully warm themes Lockington employs -both in his action and his more wistful tracks- makes this a treat to listen to. Lovely stuff!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Core - CY

One of the great action scores.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2015
    Southall wrote
    The Core - CY

One of the great action scores.

One of my favorite scores of all time.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    The Haunting - Jerry Goldsmith

Goldsmith in terror mode. I'm not going to say it's as good as earlier scores he did in this genre but man, "Finally Home" is a ballbuster of a cue.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Josh B wrote

Goldsmith in terror mode. I'm not going to say it's as good as earlier scores he did in this genre but man, "Finally Home" is a ballbuster of a cue.

I've never seen the film as I heard it was shit.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Timmer wrote
    Josh B wrote

I've never seen the film as I heard it was shit.

Oh, it is. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2015 edited
    Southall wrote
    Sounds like I need to give Sim City a spin! Anything in particular?

The whole album is good - fantastic music for getting stuff done. Though if you quickly want to hear the similarities with Tomorrowland, give "SimCity Theme" and "SimCity Trailer" a spin.
  1. NP: A.I.: Artificial Intelligence (2001) - John Williams

This is a great score but 70 minutes are a lot of music. The original album is a nicely structured representation of the score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ The original album would be great without some of the repetition. Brilliant score (horrible recorded and mixed) and is one of my favourites written in the past 15 years!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: MAD MAX: FURY ROAD - Junkie XL

Saw the film last night and found it incredibly entertaining. Deliciously over the top. The music couldn't be more appropriate but it's a struggle on album. dizzy
  2. Percival, my Knight and Servant - this High Vision is given to such as are pure in heart, to the end that Faith in what is Eternal may be renewed. Of Fellowship and Honour naught is lost, and of all Knights, Galahad, the son of Lancelot shall be most worthy. Give comfort then to Lancelot, whose guilt is all forgiven and whose heart shall now know Peace. Blessed be God, who lives and moves in all things forever!

NP: Knights of the Round Table (1953) - Miklos Rozsa; Johnny Green

I love both, film and score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Rozsa's music is just so damn epic in scope that for me it outclassed the film.
    It is still highly entertaining, though.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    An Unfinished Life - Christopher Young

So good. One of his best "twinkly" scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Southall wrote
    An Unfinished Life - Christopher Young

So good. One of his best "twinkly" scores.

Love it! Much better than Lurie's functional, albeit derivative, replacement effort. I can't really understand why Young's score could have been rejected. Both scores set a similar tone and are just as melodic as each other; Young's is just better.

Confused.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes, it's one of the most bizarre rejections given the replacement is in the same style but not as good.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2015
    The Hunt for Red October - Basil Poledouris

The long awaited, perhaps slightly disappointing expanded release of this excellent score. Inevitably dated in its electronics, of course, but even most of those are still thoroughly enjoyable.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The King of Devil's Island - Johan Soderquist

First listen, and though not without interest, it seems fairly mediocre. The main theme is reasonably haunting but I'd be staggered if the film wasn't temped with Warren Ellis and Nick Cave's The Road.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    All Good Things - Rob Simonsen

Very classy effort, full of interesting colours and some of the most subtly arresting suspense music I've heard in a while. Even the shortest cues - many under a minute - are superbly crafted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2015 edited
    David OC wrote

First listen, and though not without interest, it seems fairly mediocre. The main theme is reasonably haunting but I'd be staggered if the film wasn't temped with Warren Ellis and Nick Cave's The Road.

You're talking about one of the best scores from Scandinavia in the last 10 years! (of course, I'm biased since I was a bit involved in the soundtrack release, but still...). I absolutely adore the "blue" colours Johan paints in this score, to merge with the wintery, blue hues of the downbeat film itself.

There is no reference to THE ROAD (the films came out more or less at the same time), but rather to Söderqvist's own melancholic stylings (LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, TROUBLED WATER etc).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    David OC wrote

The long awaited, perhaps slightly disappointing expanded release of this excellent score..

It's noteworthy because of the vastly improved sound quality, but I found myself simply recreating the old Varese album sequence for my listening pleasure anyway. That's the trouble with expanded vs. original releases when the original (short) release consists of solely five-star cues, and the expanded material ...well...not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DISPARUE (Frans Bak)

Never seen this new French series, but the concept sounds kinda like BROADCHURCH or THE MISSING. Bak's music is very lovely -- a cross between Mogwai's LES REVENANTS and Richter's THE LEFTOVERS, maybe.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STEALTH (BT)

I've heard the film is pants, but the score is quite good -- especially when it gets to settle in a mood. A bit too noisy at times, but not too bothersome.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2015 edited
    I know I'm late to the party but

PAS DE DEUX | james horner

Perhaps it needs to grow on me, but it doesn't start very interesting. The first part is rather going nowhere (in my head). Pas intéressant! Fratres is in there somewhere too.

Part deux de Pas de Deux est joyeuse! The finale of this piece is great but I can't say it wows me like I've been reading here.

Off to Part 3.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I'm with you there, Bregt. It's lovely, it's fine, but boy is it not memorable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    David OC wrote

The long awaited, perhaps slightly disappointing expanded release of this excellent score..

It's noteworthy because of the vastly improved sound quality, but I found myself simply recreating the old Varese album sequence for my listening pleasure anyway. That's the trouble with expanded vs. original releases when the original (short) release consists of solely five-star cues, and the expanded material ...well...not.

Yes. If this had been the album released at the time, I'd have listened to it once and then never again. Fortunately it wasn't, so the original can be easily recreated in better sound. None (literally none) of the extra music is worth hearing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    David OC wrote

Wow! I loved this. So impressed by the colours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Will have to give this one a go. Been very impressed with his other works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2015
    NP: OBSESSION (Bernard Herrmann)

City of Prague & Nic Raine performing, a brand new rerecording. It's pretty good, some excellent Benny riffs and intensity. I would have hated this 20 years ago, now I actually appreciate Herrmann quite a bit.
    I am extremely serious.