• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2015
    NP: THE BEST (AND SECOND BEST) EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL - Thomas Newman

I generally prefer the first score as a whole but I have combined the best cues from each to make one superb compilation that is as seamless as it is amazing. Love it! Can't really think of any other recent Newman project that was more perfect for his palette!

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: OBSESSION (Bernard Herrmann)

City of Prague & Nic Raine performing, a brand new rerecording. It's pretty good, some excellent Benny riffs and intensity. I would have hated this 20 years ago, now I actually appreciate Herrmann quite a bit.

I need to pick this one up. I still have the original LP ( where I found out in the liner notes that Herrmann had passed away, I'd assumed at that time, 1977-8? that he was still alive ), whatever, brilliant score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Thor wrote
    David OC wrote
    The King of Devil's Island - Johan Soderquist

First listen, and though not without interest, it seems fairly mediocre. The main theme is reasonably haunting but I'd be staggered if the film wasn't temped with Warren Ellis and Nick Cave's The Road.

You're talking about one of the best scores from Scandinavia in the last 10 years! (of course, I'm biased since I was a bit involved in the soundtrack release, but still...). I absolutely adore the "blue" colours Johan paints in this score, to merge with the wintery, blue hues of the downbeat film itself.

There is no reference to THE ROAD (the films came out more or less at the same time), but rather to Söderqvist's own melancholic stylings (LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, TROUBLED WATER etc).

I'll give it a few more spins, certainly, but I didn't detect the same qualities on first listen. The unfortunate coincidence of the similarity with The Road in that theme is annoyingly distracting but that's my problem. Great work with the interview too, definitely allows for a deeper appreciation of it.

Other than 'Eli's theme', which is extraordinary, nothing I've heard from Soderqvist has really grabbed me to date, sad to say.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Mac and Me - Alan Silvestri

This has turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. Never really heard of the seemingly awful film but Silvestri's lively, playful, action-packed score harkens back to some of his best work. And unlike some of his lesser work, he keeps the electronics toned right down - and when they are used, it's actually to superb effect with some shimmering, ethereal moments of beauty.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Michael Giacchino

My first listen to this and I'm monumentally bored. Every so often the score comes to life but there's just so much anonymous suspense material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    David OC wrote
    Other than 'Eli's theme', which is extraordinary, nothing I've heard from Soderqvist has really grabbed me to date, sad to say.

Fair enough. I can understand that he's a composer you either connect to or don't. But check out KON-TIKI. That's a bit more 'traditional', as well as last year's pirate film for kids, CAPTAIN SABRETOOTH AND THE TREASURE OF LAMA RAMA (once that one gets a soundtrack release).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Josh B wrote

My first listen to this and I'm monumentally bored. Every so often the score comes to life but there's just so much anonymous suspense material.

Yeah, there's about a 15-20-minute core of stuff in this score that's quite good, but the rest... sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Josh B wrote

Yeah, there's about a 15-20-minute core of stuff in this score that's quite good, but the rest... sleep

30 in fact, after a bit of editing and tinkering. One of my most-listened-to scores of 2014.
  2. Hm, well, I don't much care for all the Lost "emotional" strings and piano stuff, so that trims it down to more like 20 for me. I mostly listen to the action material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2015 edited
    It works out to about 25 minutes of action, and 5 minutes of 'other'. The Great Ape Processional is a good way to start the album, then it's action until the penultimate track, giving it an emotional climax, finally ending it with the end credits. It's amazing what a good presentation can do for a score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Pietro Mennea: la freccia del sud | paolo vivaldi

This is great. I saw Christopher playing this on Spotify, and it came to me as a total surprise. Very uplifting music with two very nice themes. Highlights are the opening piece, the piano theme in Freccia del Sud and its orchestral rendition after that, where the full orchestra comes in and results in a very driving and joyful piece. Fantastic! I needed music like this right now. So thanks Christopher. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt, have you checked out Frans Bak's DISPARUE? You're one of the people I thought of when I got this recently:

https://open.spotify.com/album/65uC2QPJGJLNStow8e0Mdp

(oh, and thanks for the tips on the Vivaldi. I will check it out).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ok, I'll have a listen!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Josh B wrote

It is sooooooooooooo dull. A regression for Giacchino.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. NP: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) - Michael Giacchino

Fine score and album in my books. I prefer the ambient sequences above the action cues. I love the end credits suite.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. The end credits suite is terrific, a great overview of the score. I listen to this track on it's own much more than I do the whole score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's a good score, I'd just rather listen to many other Giacchino scores instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    It's amazing what a good presentation can do for a score.

It's amazing how many composers knew that until the early 2000s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A Little Chaos - Peter Gregson

Impressive stuff. Had never heard of him before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wolf Totem - Horner

Still the best of the year. So far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's good, but my initial enthusiasm of "Ooh, a new Horner score!" has now worn off a little. It's not one I feel I ever need to return to, especially since he's done this sort of thing much better (Legends of the Fall). It still has that very nice action sequence, though...
  5. Bregt wrote

This is great. I saw Christopher playing this on Spotify, and it came to me as a total surprise. Very uplifting music with two very nice themes. Highlights are the opening piece, the piano theme in Freccia del Sud and its orchestral rendition after that, where the full orchestra comes in and results in a very driving and joyful piece. Fantastic! I needed music like this right now. So thanks Christopher. wink

You bet! I didn't even listen to the whole thing, but I really like as much as I heard. I'm excited to get back to it. But for now, I'm playing...

SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO - Naoki Sato

...for the first time. This is excellent. Everything I hear from Sato impresses me. I wish his stuff was a little more accessible in the States.
  6. christopher wrote
    Bregt wrote

You bet! I didn't even listen to the whole thing, but I really like as much as I heard. I'm excited to get back to it. But for now, I'm playing...

Finish up PIETRO MENNEA!

That's a very good score. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's that inspirational sports film sound to a lot of it, and it's got some really lovely moments, too. My first impression of it is very positive. If repeated listens only lead me to like it more this could end up being one of my favorite scores of 2015.
  7. Steven wrote
    It's good, but my initial enthusiasm of "Ooh, a new Horner score!" has now worn off a little. It's not one I feel I ever need to return to, especially since he's done this sort of thing much better (Legends of the Fall). It still has that very nice action sequence, though...

Yeah, I can kind of agree with this. It's a B+ Horner score, which is still very good, but for me it doesn't really stand out that much and I've found myself returning to it less than I thought I would after first listening to it. Maybe because it's (almost) monothematic? Great theme, sure, but the lack of supporting melodic material robs it of some depth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2015
    Still can't get enough. It's so elegant and handsome, much like many members of this forum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    U wot m8?
  8. My own space opera theme playlist. I rarely listen to such playlists anymore but this one I built from the start and it's always emotionally uplifting.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Don't leave us hanging... what's in the playlist?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, give us the DOPE, man!
    I am extremely serious.