• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2015
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    It is near unbelievable to think this greatness came from the pen of a rugby player.

Could you repeat that? I didn't quite catch it.

rugby player, composer....1960's master swordsman
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. New in collection:
    Beneath the 12-Mile Reef Bernard Herrmann
    Hunger Games Catching Fire and Mockingjay - James Newton Howard

I will listen to those during the weekend. For now I'm off to thatch the lawn.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: Beneath the 12-Mile Reef (1953) - Bernard Herrmann

Classic Herrmann. Let me just refer to Tom's recent review that sais everything there is to say.

Volker
  3. NP: Catching Fire & Mockingjay 1 - JNH

I like a lot what JNH brought to the table fot the HUNGER GAMES series so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2015
    Crysis 2 Various

This is...quite fun. I like it!

Is the third score worth a try?
  4. Third score's basically less of the same, it's not awful, but I'd skip it. Second one, yeah, gets a little generic at times but it has a few cues I quite enjoy (especially Zimmer's title theme and "SOS New York").
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2015
    Steven wrote
    Crysis 2 Various

This is...quite fun. I like it!

Is the third score worth a try?

No idea, but have you checked out Crysis Warhead (an expansion pack to Crysis 1). I remember enjoying the music in that that.
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Third score's basically less of the same, it's not awful, but I'd skip it. Second one, yeah, gets a little generic at times but it has a few cues I quite enjoy (especially Zimmer's title theme and "SOS New York").

Hans' theme is, to me, the epitome of a guilty pleasure (and the best material he wrote that year). SOS New York is just plain fantastic, hands down.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. NP: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1980) - John Williams

I just played the Concord and Silva version of "Desert Chase" successicely but wasn't able to find out what 45 seconds are actually missing from the shorter version. Can anyone please tell me?

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2015
    NP: Conan The Barbarian - Basil Poledouris

Abso-fuckin-fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2015 edited
    I approve of the two scores played in the posts above.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. NP: STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE (1979) - Jerry Goldsmith

"The Human Adventure is just beginning!" smile
    Can you imagine what promise that tagline held for a 10 year old back in the early 80s? Am I the only one who feels deceived? Even as a 10 year old boy I didn't think the warp drive would become a reality but I certainly expected the scouts auf a peacefully united humanity to explore the solar system.
    Now look at the mess the planet is! Argh! angry

I am listening to the 25th anniversary album. I own the LLL edition and I sing its praise. Still, as an album presentation I like this older album a lot.

Man, THE ENTERPRISE is currently playing. What. Fantastic. Music! shocked

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2015
    Both versions of THE ENTERPRISE are brilliant! ( I'm of course referring to the LLL release )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The planet has always been a mess, but progress is slow and painful. Believe it or not, now is the best time to be alive.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The planet has always been a mess, but progress is slow and painful. Believe it or not, now is the best time to be alive.

I'm old enough to remember TV scientists saying there would be a mission to Mars by 1980 wink It isn't an unreasonable way to think given the optimism of just having landed men on the Moon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    True, I suppose I wasn't alive during this era to experience this 'let down', as it were. But we've advanced in countless other ways we would never have guessed. I think when people say things like 'the world's gone to shit', they forget the shit that preceded it and the shit we've overcome.
  8. I surely would not want to live anywhere in the past. I just deamt of a much brighter future, not one where during one week boat people would drown in the Mediterranian in numbers rivaling the Titanic disaster.

On a different note: From the window of my study I can currently see the very bright narrow sickle of the moon and Venus just in the extension of its axis. That's nice.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I do my best not to be one of the 'rose tinted glasses' brigade. There's always been shit going on, it'll be overcome and no doubt there'll be shit to replace it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    I surely would not want to live anywhere in the past. I just deamt of a much brighter future, not one where during one week boat people would drown in the Mediterranian in numbers rivaling the Titanic disaster.

True true. Thankfully there are brave and smart people fighting to make those dreams a reality. Me? Well...I did clean my house today. So that's a start.
  9. Timmer wrote
    'rose tinted glasses' brigade

LOL. Didn't know that one. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Funny though, that from the 1970's until about ten years ago you could fly from London to New York in just over 3 hours compared to 7-8 hours now. biggrin
  10. I'm a fairly optimistic fellow myself. Just now the news are making me sick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Funny though, that from the 1970's until about ten years ago you could fly from London to New York in just over 3 hours compared to 7-8 hours now. biggrin

biggrin

Yes. Progress isn't universal it would seem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Secret Weapons Over Normandy Michael Giacchino

I haven't listened to this one for years. I owe Erik Woods an apology. This is fucking brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Apology accepted, Captain Steven.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2015
    NP: GUNSHI KANBEE (Yugo Kanno)

Brilliant stuff! Why isn't this played by everyone who likes film music?
    I am extremely serious.
  11. I like film music and I've spun it a fair few times!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2015 edited
    NP: WILDE SALOMÉ (Jeff Beal)

Probably the best thing Beal has done, but at 73 minutes the album is about 20 minutes too long.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2015
    Blackwood - Lorne Balfe

This is really surprisingly good, intelligent grown-up horror/thriller-type music, perhaps the first post-Interstellar score from Remote Control but it's only superficially similar.
  12. I've always thought that in RCP Balfe was one to watch. The best "former Zimmer assistant" to have a career since Badelt for sure. The main assistants often became quite good in their own way, see Mark Mancina (early 90s), Harry Gregson-Williams (mid-90s) and John Powell (a short period between Prince of Egypt and Gladiator, yes, even or especialy Thin Red Line).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website