• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2015
    Southall wrote
    Blackwood - Lorne Balfe

This is really surprisingly good, intelligent grown-up horror/thriller-type music, perhaps the first post-Interstellar score from Remote Control but it's only superficially similar.

It has some interesting elements in a Balfe/RC sense, agreed, but overall it didn't do much for me. Then again, a horror score has to be REALLY special to grab my interest. Usually a lot of romance and melody, and VERY limited stingers and dissonance. In that respect, this failed. It's quite 'horror'-ey.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. PawelStroinski wrote
    I've always thought that in RCP Balfe was one to watch. The best "former Zimmer assistant" to have a career since Badelt for sure.

Balfe is more consistent (never heard anything of his I thought was outright bad) but both Jackman and Atli Orvarsson have impressed me more when at their best. They've both written true stinkers, though, and Orvarsson in particular has a rather sporadic career. Balfe is more the kind of guy who churns out eight 2.5-3 star scores a year on small assignments without anyone noticing, which is admittedly kind of impressive, but he has yet to really wow me.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2015
    Avengers: Age of Ultron - Brian Tyler and Danny Elfman

I think the most fascinating part of the score is how both composers have largely toned down their voices so that the music sounds homogenous. The Elfman action cues in particular often sound closer to Tyler than Elfman. Other than that note, there isn't a great deal of interest here. Blockbuster scoring by the numbers (and the album is way too long). Still, it's probably the best of the Marvel scores pumped out recently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2015 edited
    That score is an utter bore. But I agree with your assessment concerning Elfman sounding like Tyler. It's almost seamless yet it's obvious Elfman's cues are superior. But that still can't save this mess. In saying that, Elfman's variations on Silvestri's original Avengers theme are excellent.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Erik Woods wrote
    That score is an utter bore. But I agree with your assessment concerning Elfman sounding like Tyler. It's almost seamless yet it's obvious Elfman's cues are superior. But that still can't save this mess. In saying that, Elfman's variations on Silvestri's original Avengers theme are excellent.

-Erik-

I tried listening to just the Elfman cues (a little under thirty minutes of music) and that was definitely better but the music still sounds soulless. I definitely like it more when he's playing with Silvestri's theme (less so with Tyler's bland themes).
  2. At least we finally have a MCU score that mingles themes a bit, though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TOM SAWYER & HUCKLEBERRY FINN (Robert Gulya)

Nice and everything, but why this is scored like a huge-ass adventure film is beyond me. Have they really adapted the novel that way? I think I prefer the down-and-dirty delta version of previous adapations.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: The Cider House Rules (1999) - Rachel Portman

What a magnificent score! I sit here marking A-level-examination essays. This music puts me in a benevolent mood. smile

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Fantastic theme, but that's all there is. As usual with Portman.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Return of the Jedi John Williams

When life gives you lemons, you slice them, get the salt and start doing tequila shots. (Oh, and also listen to your favourite scores.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2015 edited
    NP: LEGENDS OF CHIMA, VOLUME 2 (Anthony Lledo)

Not quite as good as the first (a bit more generic), but hey -- still lots of straightforward fun. Both this and the TOM SAWYER one I played earlier are very "Erik Woods".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Cider House Rules (1999) - Rachel Portman

What a magnificent score! I sit here marking A-level-examination essays. This music puts me in a benevolent mood. smile

Volker

It's wonderful. One of my all time favourites.

Thor wrote
    Fantastic theme, but that's all there is. As usual with Portman.

rolleyes

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he. 'tis the truth.

What did you think about SAWYER and CHIMA? Am I right in labelling these as very "Erik Woods"?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    NP: Judge Dredd - Alan Silvestri

O Silvestri of yesteryear, where art thou...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    He, he. 'tis the truth.

What did you think about SAWYER and CHIMA? Am I right in labelling these as very "Erik Woods"?

Listening to Sawyer now so I'll let you know. As for Chima. I did like the first album. My kids loved the show, which is where I first heard the music and it was surprisingly good. I'll have to give the second season album a spin and let you know.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2015 edited
    On this day 100 years ago the Armenian Genocide began and that reminded me to play one of Danna's most incredible scores, ARARAT. Groonk and the 2nd track, the religious song, are the highlights.
    Kazoo
  4. NP: The Imitation Game (2014) - Alexandre Desplat

I spent the day in Cologne doing shopping. Besides "useful things" like summer clothing I treated myself to this CD. The music sounds gorgious.

Volker
  5. It's Desplat's prettiest score from last year and works well in the film, but the Oscar for Grand Budapest Hotel was very well deserved in terms of its function as a film score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2015
    Monkey Kingdom - Harry Gregson-Williams

Moments of real quality mix with irritating mickey-mousing and generic Dreamworks Animation-sounding "comedy" music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2015
    Inchon - Jerry Goldsmith

Bloody brilliant, never-mentioned score. So intricate and yet elaborate. I'd love to see the (impossible to see) film just so I know if it's as awful as its reputation suggests.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Inchon - Jerry Goldsmith

Bloody brilliant, never-mentioned score. So intricate and yet elaborate. I'd love to see the (impossible to see) film just so I know if it's as awful as its reputation suggests.

I only have this on LP ( bought at time of release ) and it's a superb score. The Moonies, are they still active?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. NP: The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies (2014) - Howard bow Shore

Magical!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies (2014) - Howard bow Shore

Magical!

Seriously?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Matrix Don Davis

The best and also my favourite Matrix score. A truly great score, up there with the greatest. There's nothing quite like it.

I know someone will come along and point to all the influences (in fact, please do. I'd love to hear more music like this!) I get that it's a heavily influenced score. But those influences have converged to make something quite special indeed.
  7. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies (2014) - Howard bow Shore

Magical!

Seriously?

It echos the Music of the Ainur.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's extremely mediocre (as it were).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    It's extremely mediocre (as it were).

If only.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Having a listen to Morricone and his western material including Man With a Harmonica, Jill's Theme, The Ectasy of Gold, and others.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  8. Steven wrote
    The Matrix Don Davis

The best and also my favourite Matrix score. A truly great score, up there with the greatest. There's nothing quite like it.

I know someone will come along and point to all the influences (in fact, please do. I'd love to hear more music like this!) I get that it's a heavily influenced score. But those influences have converged to make something quite special indeed.

Perfectly put, really. The score has quite a bit of influences, but manages to be one of its own and really unique. I think that it's because of what Davis called post-modernism. You can take Lutosławski (a Polish atonal composer who influenced Unable to Speak), John Adams, even a bit of James Horner (those accelerating cymbals) and make something so unique, that it's so good. I love the whole trilogy, but the first one, the least melodic, remains my favourite.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2015
    Steven wrote
    I know someone will come along and point to all the influences (in fact, please do. I'd love to hear more music like this!) I get that it's a heavily influenced score. But those influences have converged to make something quite special indeed.[/small]

Blast THIS!

-Erik-