• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015
    There is nothing about the Field of Dreams score that suffers. It's a fucking masterpiece!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I too find the abrupt change in styles and lack of coherency off-putting. Care to give us some reasons for your assessment, Erik?
  2. Steven wrote
    None of us know why that's funny.

American football.
  3. Brainstorm - James Horner

Holy shit, I forgot how good this was.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Field of Dreams is NOT a sports film.

-Erik-

Got it. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    The Imitation Game - Alexandre Desplat

Again, very good. This has been a nice Desplat evening, overall. I just adore his orchestrations, so precise, so colorful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Steven wrote

American football.

Ah yes.

American football is funny.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Martijn wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Steven wrote

American football.

Ah yes.

American football is funny.

Yes. Lots of people bumping into each other for no apparent reason.
  6. I used to think that myself. Then I watched the Superbowl... and the whole next season.

There is reason. And it's all quite precise and tactical.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BEOWULF (Alan Silvestri)

I remember seeing the film (which was pants), but I didn't remember how good the music was. This is the exception to the rule when it comes to Silvestri's lacklustre, post-MUMMY symphonic scores. Great stuff!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Bit of a Van Helsing-lite (and don't tell me...you hate that one), but yes, a very fun score, once you get past the so-awful-they're-amazing laser synths in the first 10 seconds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015 edited
    Yes, you're right -- I do dislike VAN HELSING. That was bombast without structure or dynamic, and quickly went on my nerves. In BEOWULF, there's a finer balance between the calm and bombastic, and a more pronounced sense of melody within the busy tracks themselves. I LOVE the synthy first track, and only wish it was longer.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I used to think that myself. Then I watched the Superbowl... and the whole next season.

There is reason. And it's all quite precise and tactical.

All I know is they have funny names.
  8. The trouble with Van Helsing is that the original album is terrible - not balanced at all with regards to action vs. softer material (with the exception of the lovely "Reunited" at the end, it's all action). If you interspersed that with maybe 10-15 minutes of the softer stuff from the complete score, you'd end up with an hour-long album that's much better balanced, and much better than Beowulf.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2015
    Star Trek II - Horner

The problem with this is... oh, there is no problem with this. It's perfect; film music heaven; my favourite Horner score. My first listen to it since his death. (Not looking forward to Amazing Grace...)
  9. Listening to our favorite scores by the man takes on a whole new level of meaning now.

I just listened to LEGENDS OF THE FALL for the first time. What an incredible score that is.
  10. And it gets better with each listening.
  11. NP: Game of Thrones, Season 5 (2015) - Ramin Djawadi

Again very solid TV scoring. Nice development of existing material and something new here and there.

Volker
  12. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    And it gets better with each listening.

It does.
  13. NP: STAR TREK

My own playlist. This list originated in the sampler THE ASTRAL SYMPHONY, which was one of the very first film music CDs I bought. Since then the list has been augmented many times and the original cues have been replaced by their remastered counterparts. I don't listen all to often to this list because the numerous repetitions of the Courage fanfare can become a bit tedious. Today I enjoyed the ride. For everyone interested, this is the list:

Star Trek Theme (from INSIDE ST) - Alexander Courage
    The Trouble With Tribbles Suite - Jerry Fielding
    TMP: Elia's Theme - Jerry Goldsmith
    TMP: THe Enterprise
    TWoK: Main Title - James Horner
    TSFS: The Kathra Ritual
    TVH: End Credits - Leonard Rosenman
    TFF: Live is a Dream - Jerry Goldsmith
    TNG: Alternative Main Title - Dennis McCarthy
    TUC: Sign Off - Cliff Eidelman
    TUC: End Credits
    DSN: Main Theme (Radio Version) - Dennis McCarthy
    Generations: Main Title
    Generations: End Title
    Voyager: Main Theme - Jerry Goldsmith
    FC: Main Title / Locutus
    Academy: Opening - Ron Jones (re-recording)
    Insurrection: End Credits - Jerry Goldsmith
    Nemesis: Main Theme (Remus)
    ST XI: Enterprising Young Men - Michael Giacchino
    Darkness: Main Theme Suite
    Enterprise: Main Theme (Faith of Heart)
    Enterprise-D Warp Out (sound effect from Generations)

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2015 edited
    SONG FOR THE UNIFICATION OF EUROPE | zbigniew preisner

A great piece by Preisner, but it was written for other times.
    Kazoo
  14. To commemorate the fact that Greece is now a Reichsprotektorat. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2015
    Disney's Marvel's The Avengers II: Age Of Ultron Danny Elfman & Brian Tyler

I omit all but four of Tyler's cues in favour for all of Elfman's score. It's clearly the stronger score in this clusterfuck of a project. Clusterfuckery notwithstanding, this is one of my favourites of the year. I've played it countless times, so I suppose the proof is in the pudding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Total Recall Jerry Goldsmith

The word that always springs to mind when listening to this is 'impressive', and it truly is. Whether it's the greatest action score ever written is always up for debate, but what's certain at least is it's one of the greatest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Krull - James Horner

I was trying to compile a list of things that are better than this.

1. Samosas (meat)

Damn, that's all I can think of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ If the recording wasn't so bad I'd listen to this score more. Why Dan Wallin recorded this instead Eric Tomlinson is beyond me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I have a contender...

Star Trek II James Horner

There is no score, no album, that I love more than this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    To commemorate the fact that Greece is now a Reichsprotektorat. slant

Yes. What a great solution. I hope there's some sort of backlash for your finance minister. slant In fact, I can't stand any finance minister, and especially ours. I thought the previous one was the most cynical, but it appears we have a worse now. But well, the Greek situation was unbearable and the governments were stubborn. They're broke. I hope the Greeks on our forum here are okay.
    Kazoo
  15. Funny thing, Yanis Varoufakis was one of the teachers when I first learned economics at Sydney Uni.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2015
    Southpaw - James Horner

Ordinarily, music of this type doesn't do anything for me but knowing it was Horner's last score really pushed me over the edge and I find it a deeply moving work. It's not always easy to listen to but there's plenty of thought given to the composition.