• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2015 edited
    NP: THE PERFECT STORM - JAMES HORNER

The complete version, on Steven's recommendation.

Lots of great extra material here that I didn't expect. This really is a score that thankfully allowed him to stretch his legs in the action department. Balanced by beauty.

Wonderful stuff. cool
  1. NP: La Dolce Vita (1960) - Nino Rota

As recently released by Soundtrack Factory.
    When it comes to Rota, I usually prefer his music in the form of suites. This album though makes for a fine listening experience. Rota incorporates material of various composers and forms an amalgam that is yet coherent. The score also features the original version of a theme that would later become the "Godfather Waltz". Sadly this made "The Godfather" ineligible for the Academy Award.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2015
    LSH wrote

Lots of great extra material here that I didn't expect. This really is a score that thankfully allowed him to stretch his legs in the action department. Balanced by beauty.

Wonderful stuff. cool

I very much approve of this post.
  2. Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

Wonderful stuff. cool

Does the DVD feature the isolated score? Or is this you-know-what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2015 edited
    The latter, admittedly. Thus is definitely a score that deserves an official complete, or at least an expansion
    that includes some of these fantastic moments missing from the original release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: VERTICAL LIMIT - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

Another score I feel may require an expansion but will have to consult the actual movie to confirm (but I feel that might be arduous).

It's another great combination of brutal action and the tender, although falling mostly in the former. It also contains one of the most unfortunate un-expanded themes in history. The primary melody in You Wanna Do This? is sublime. Sounds like a melody that really should have been used at least once more. Furthermore, the second mention of this melody in that cue is followed by one of the most Goldsmithian motifs I have ever heard outside of a Goldsmith score.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B

The recording sessions were leaked fairly recently.
  3. Josh B wrote

The recording sessions were leaked fairly recently.

Well, "leak" is fitting, isn't it? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

Wonderful stuff. cool

You mean A BOOTLEG COPY UPLOADED TO THE INTERNET FOR PEOPLE TO DOWNLOAD FOR FREE.

Yes. That. And it's fucking awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    BOOTLEG

Oh my word! Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. rolleyes
  5. LSH wrote
    NP: VERTICAL LIMIT - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

Another score I feel may require an expansion but will have to consult the actual movie to confirm (but I feel that might be arduous).

Since we're talking about bootlegs...

Can confirm. This one could use an expansion. There's one big action sequence called "Rescuers Arrive" that runs nearly five minutes and is far better than any of the rather sporadic action music that actually made the album - that alone would merit a re-release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2015
    NP: Ant-Man - Christophe Beck

There are some excellent bombastic action scoring on display that I've haven't heard in a while, especially in a modern comic book score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2015
    NP: Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation - Joe Kraemer

Yes, it can be done. Kraemer did the impossible by creating a modern day action score with a full symphony orchestra and no electronics. There's even a harpsichord in there for good measure! Excellent score!

-Erik-

P.S. - The second cue "Soloman Lane" is one of the cues of the year!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Babe (Nigel Westlake) - 2015 recording !

My copy came in. Wow! I'm stunned by this release... delightful music beautifully performed by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra without dialogue and singing mice. This is first class music. The new orchestrations are familiar and different at the same time. Quite possibly the best film music album I've bought in a long time.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2015
    Yes, Babe! It's a fantastic release. Pure orchestral class!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2015 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Babe (Nigel Westlake) - 2015 recording !

My copy came in. Wow! I'm stunned by this release... delightful music beautifully performed by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra without dialogue and singing mice. This is first class music. The new orchestrations are familiar and different at the same time. Quite possibly the best film music album I've bought in a long time.

Yes! Superb. I knew nothing about this and thanks to you I found it on Spotify, just.....lovely!!! love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. lp wrote

There are some excellent bombastic action scoring on display that I've haven't heard in a while, especially in a modern comic book score.

Excellent news. I really need to give this one a listen.

Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation - Joe Kraemer

Yes, it can be done. Kraemer did the impossible by creating a modern day action score with a full symphony orchestra and no electronics. There's even a harpsichord in there for good measure! Excellent score!

-Erik-

P.S. - The second cue "Soloman Lane" is one of the cues of the year!

Excellent news. I really need to give this one a listen. smile

I've been listening to a lot of James Horner for the last couple of days. Just finished up SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER. It's so good. Anyone have the new expansion? What's it got that the original is missing?
  8. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Babe (Nigel Westlake) - 2015 recording !

Yes! Superb. I knew nothing about this and thanks to you I found it on Spotify, just.....lovely!!! love

Thanks to Atham actually, he brings news of obscure australian releases we might otherwise have missed.

He posted about Babe a short while ago.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. The Amazing Spiderman Horner

What a lovely score, perfect for calming my apple inspired agitation.
  10. (I'm listening on my classic iPod...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    John Chambers wrote
    (I'm listening on my classic iPod...)

biggrin applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  11. NP: Tomorrowland (2015) - Michael Giacchino

I love this. Giacchino is marvellous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Trek: The Game Chad Seiter

This is a fantastic and rarely-mentioned gem. I don't think I could quite place it among Giacchino's two excellent scores, but it is close. Close enough to consider it.

His take on Giacchino's theme has a somewhat more yearning quality to it (for lack of a better word), as opposed to the youthful adventure that Giacchino responded to in the films. But it really comes into its own in the action music, despite Giacchino's theme featuring heavily throughout the score, proving different and compelling enough to warrant more attention than, perhaps, it's received.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2015 edited

I finally realize that Christophe Beck's action cues are, at times, very reminiscent of Alan Silvestri's style. Regardless, it's all MARVELous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: HOW TO MAKE AN AMERICAN QUILT - THOMAS NEWMAN

Decided to revisit some early-nineties Newman. What an absolutely wonderful past hour it has been.

cool
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2015
    The Song of Bernadette - Alfred Newman

Going through some older scores on Spotify I've never heard before. This is really, really gorgeous. I'd love to hear it re-recorded some day as the sound quality does hamper louder moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2015 edited
    ^ Find Charles Gerhardt's suite. It's lovely! But a full re-recording would be super!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2015
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Find Charles Gerhardt's suite. It's lovely! But a full re-recording would be super!

-Erik-

Thanks for the tip! Listened to that suite (and the entire album) and enjoyed it quite a bit. Most of the Gerhardt recordings are on here so I'm gonna go nuts for the next week. I'm very unfamiliar with Golden Age scores.
  12. Josh B wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Thanks for the tip! Listened to that suite (and the entire album) and enjoyed it quite a bit. Most of the Gerhardt recordings are on here so I'm gonna go nuts for the next week. I'm very unfamiliar with Golden Age scores.

You are in for a multi treat, Josh!

wink Volker