• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Anthony Adverse (1936) - Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Re-recording of 1991; the Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by John Scott; Varese Srabande

Craig Lysy's recent review on Movie Music UK prompted me to get this CD. It's lovely. Vintage Korngold.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2015
    NP: Kelly's Heroes - Lalo Schifrin

Fine, fine, weirdly funky score for one of the finest, action-packed WWII films I know (which, its setting and its tongue being firmly planted in its cheek notwithstanding, doubles nicely as a very thinly disguised comment on the madness of the Vietnam War raging at the time).

The funky album versions of I've Been Working On the Railroad and Battle Hymn Of the Republic (neither of which appear in the film in this version) are outstanding, as is the Morricone pastiche Quick Draw Kelly (great scene when the three on foot confront the Tiger tank).

Of the original pieces the ridiculously upbeat main theme is a great war theme, but it has to be the end (and begin) titles' Burning Bridges (sung by the Mike Curb Congregation) with its incredibly bleak, defeatist lyrics over what is supposed to be a happy, rogue-ish ending that makes the album for me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2015
    Now Voyager, the Classic Film Scores of Max Steiner

I think suite form definitely brings out the best in this music. Last night, I listened to the complete score of King Kong and felt like I was being beat to death with it (despite some memorable moments). In contrast, this seven minute selection from the score is quite entertaining, as is the rest of the music here.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Kelly's Heroes - Lalo Schifrin

Fine, fine, weirdly funky score for one of the finest, action-packed WWII films I know (which, its setting and its tongue being firmly planted in its cheek notwithstanding, doubles nicely as a very thinly disguised comment on the madness of the Vietnam War raging at the time).

The funky album versions of I've Been Working On the Railroad and Battle Hymn Of the Republic (neither of which appear in the film in this version) are outstanding, as is the Morricone pastiche Quick Draw Kelly (great scene when the three on foot confront the Tiger tank).

Of the original pieces the ridiculously upbeat main theme is a great war theme, but it has to be the end (and begin) titles' Burning Bridges (sung by the Mike Curb Congregation) with its incredibly bleak, defeatist lyrics over what is supposed to be a happy, rogue-ish ending that makes the album for me.

Great Schifrin score!

Like The Great Escape, The Dirty Dozen The Longest Day and a few others this is one of those WWII influenced films that is always a joy to see again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Josh B wrote
    Last night, I listened to the complete score of King Kong and felt like I was being beat to death with it (despite some memorable moments).

Steady now! wink

I feel pretty much the same ( You do realise this is serious film music sacrilege Josh? biggrin ), we all know how historically important this score is, I like it ( well, some of it ) but I can't revere it and enjoy it like some do.

The Steiner score I love and continually return to is Treasure of The Sierra Madre. ( Morgan / Stromberg recording is superlative )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Timmer wrote
    Josh B wrote
    Last night, I listened to the complete score of King Kong and felt like I was being beat to death with it (despite some memorable moments).

Steady now! wink

I feel pretty much the same ( You do realise this is serious film music sacrilege Josh? biggrin ), we all know how historically important this score is, I like it ( well, some of it ) but I can't revere it and enjoy it like some do.

The Steiner score I love and continually return to is Treasure of The Sierra Madre. ( Morgan / Stromberg recording is superlative )

Haha! Yeah, it's just one of those things where I can appreciate the skill of the music and its place in history but can't connect with it any further than that. I'll have to check out Sierra Madre soon. I'm listening to his Adventures of Don Juan right now and liking it quite a bit.
  2. Josh B wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Josh B wrote

Steady now! wink

Haha! Yeah, it's just one of those things where I can appreciate the skill of the music and its place in history but can't connect with it any further than that. I'll have to check out Sierra Madre soon. I'm listening to his Adventures of Don Juan right now and liking it quite a bit.

I concur with the gentlemen. Steiner's "wall-to-wall" music can become very tiring. I believe I never gave "King Kong" another full spin after one or two runs. I'm curious, Josh, how you like Don Juan. That one, like "Gone with the Wind", I like a lot.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    I concur with the gentlemen. Steiner's "wall-to-wall" music can become very tiring. I believe I never gave "King Kong" another full spin after one or two runs. I'm curious, Josh, how you like Don Juan. That one, like "Gone with the Wind", I like a lot.

Volker

I need to listen to it a few more times, I think. There's a lot of music here (probably too much) and it's very thematically dense. Like all of Steiner's music I've heard so far, the melodrama can get tiring but it's hard not to be taken in by the energy of the music. Some great themes here too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER - JAMES HORNER

Man, what a deliciously heartwarming score. Love it.

cool
  3. Agreed! And I love "Josh and Vinnie." That piece, though short, is just fantastic. I've asked before, but since no one responded I'll ask again: did anyone get the expanded album? Is the expanded material worth it?
  4. Yes I did. I played it once and thought it was fine, if not outstanding. Thing is, I am not familiar with the original release so I'm afraid I can't really answer your question.

smile Volker
  5. Captain Future wrote
    Josh B wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Josh B wrote

Steady now! wink

Volker

You guys are nuts. That "wall-to-wall" approach to music is why I got into film music in the first place. Gone With the Wind speaks for itself. King Kong is still a barrel of fun.
  6. Kevin Scarlet wrote

You guys are nuts.

Yup. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2015
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Exodus Gods and Kings (2014)
    I need to see the film.

Really, no you don't. I was mildly entertained but under any scrutiny this is a poor film.

I absolutely LOVED the film -- a great display of how to create vistas with content!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - J Horner

This, on the other hand, is. So powerful in the film and stunning on the album. That main theme (also in Swing Kids) is presumably copied from somewhere, but I don't know where. Mozart?

It's only, like, my favourite Horner EVER, and quite high on my list of alltime favourite soundtracks regardless of composer. The influence you're thinking of is probably Brahms. At least that's what Horner told me when he described it as 'Brahmsian lullabies'. I have very little knowledge of Brahms to confirm or deny.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: PIXELS - Henry Jackman

I like the score. Lots of prime orchestral action here. But the best cue, IMHO, is the last one, the electronica-remix Arcarders '82. You don't just hire an electronica guru and ask him to do just an orchestral score (even though he rocked it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    lp wrote

I like the score. Lots of prime orchestral action here. But the best cue, IMHO, is the last one, the electronica-remix Arcarders '82. You don't just hire an electronica guru and ask him to do just an orchestral score (even though he rocked it).

Indeed. Haven't heard the score yet, but I wish Jackman did more of the things from his background, especially drum'n'bass stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2015
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Exodus Gods and Kings (2014)
    I need to see the film.

Really, no you don't. I was mildly entertained but under any scrutiny this is a poor film.

I absolutely LOVED the film -- a great display of how to create vistas with content!

I'll not watch it again.

I am looking forward to The Martian though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wasn't impressed by the trailer. I want sci-fi to explore the weird side of space and space exploration, the mind bending physics of reality... or at least aliens with giant ships or something. I don't care if it gets some of the details wrong, like in Interstellar, as long as it takes you on a fantastic journey. This doesn't look fantastic to me, it's just some asshat stuck on Mars. I'd love to be wrong and be surprised by it, but the premise doesn't fill me with much hope.
  7. Thor wrote
    lp wrote

Indeed. Haven't heard the score yet, but I wish Jackman did more of the things from his background, especially drum'n'bass stuff.

I had to double check to make sure I didn't see "dumbass stuff".....
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    I wasn't impressed by the trailer. I want sci-fi to explore the weird side of space and space exploration, the mind bending physics of reality... or at least aliens with giant ships or something. I don't care if it gets some of the details wrong, like in Interstellar, as long as it takes you on a fantastic journey. This doesn't look fantastic to me, it's just some asshat stuck on Mars. I'd love to be wrong and be surprised by it, but the premise doesn't fill me with much hope.

I like that shit too but I also like survival against the odds shit so this does appeal to me.

This is kind of Robinson Crusoe on Mars....

Oh, hang on, there was this scientifically authentic film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I, on the other hand, absolutely adore this concept (people being stranded or locked in a limited space of some kind), and with Scott behind the wheel, it's fair to say it's one of my most-awaited films this year.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. NP: The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939) - Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    Re-recording of 1992 on Varese Sarabande. Carl Davis conducts the Munich Symphonics.

Another seminal addition to my Korngold collection, that now is almost complete.

smile Volker
  9. Thor wrote
    I, on the other hand, absolutely adore this concept (people being stranded or locked in a limited space of some kind), and with Scott behind the wheel, it's fair to say it's one of my most-awaited films this year.

Mine too, but for different reasons. I can imagine that what sold the script to him was actually "OMG, a huge dust storm?! I'm in".

So am I. I think the scene which makes Damon's character stranded will be worth the price of admission alone.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Oh, hang on, there was this scientifically authentic film.

biggrin

Wow. Now that I want to see!

But Christ, 60s trailers were awful...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2015 edited
    It's a terrific old sci-fi I ate up as a kid. I bought the Blu-ray because I still love it (and it's wonderful Van Cleave score).
    "Scientifically authentic"? Oh, absolutely! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    lp wrote

+1
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Avengers 2 Danny Elfman & Brian Tyler

My own playlist:

1. Avenger Unite
    2. Rise Together*
    3. Heroes
    4. It Begins
    5. The Battle*
    6. Ultron-Twins
    7. Can You Stop This Thing?
    8. Fighting Back*
    9. Farmhouse
    10. Inevitability-One Good Eye
    11. Ultron Wakes
    12. Outlook*
    13. The Farm
    14. Nothing Lasts Forever
    15. New Avengers - Avengers: Age of Ultron

40:23

In case anyone might be interested! (Probably not.)

I LOVE this.
  10. "*" is which composer?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Guess.