• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. edit
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Steven wrote
    Guess.

Ok! Ok! Ok! I can do this! It is ... it is ..., oh this is so exiting, ihhhhhht's ... Tyler?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2015
    NP: TESTAMENT OF YOUTH (Max Richter)

Probably the most 'commercial' score he's done so far. I like it, but I would have liked it even more if it were more "Richter".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2015
    Steven wrote
    Guess.

Paul Haslinger!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SOUTHPAW (James Horner)

Hypnotizing. I like it, although it's rather untypical Horner in many ways.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AN AMERICAN TAIL (James Horner)

My new-found Horner love can't be contained, it seems. Does anyone know if "Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor" is an original Horner composition or an existing piece?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    NP: AN AMERICAN TAIL (James Horner)

My new-found Horner love can't be contained, it seems. Does anyone know if "Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor" is an original Horner composition or an existing piece?

The CD booklet doesn't state anything to the contrary, so I assume that it is Horner's composition.
  4. GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH (DELUXE EDITION)

So much fun it hurts. Thank you Varèse. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Must give this another listen, when I listened to my copy on it's arrival it just made me appreciate how well put together and focused the original release was. More often that not I think Goldsmith's work really benefits from the C&C treatment (And I don't think most film music does) but in this case it just made it feel like an unfocussed mess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Gremlins 2 is absolutely brilliant. IMO, it's Goldsmith's best score for a Dante film and is my all time favourite score written for a comedy. It's perfect in both truncated 30 minute form and in it's glorious complete form. Masterful scoring!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Unfocused mess? No it's just Jerry's creativity working non stop and giving us too much information for our little brains to handle. Today my brain just went along with all the goofy craziness, resulting in me bobbing along, smiling almost non-stop and feeling all giddy inside. That doesn't happen too much anymore.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. THE ABYSS (DELUXE EDITION)

So fantastic it hurts. Thank you Varèse. punk

Well it doesn't hurt to be honest, but scores like this is why I became a fan of film music in the first place. Silvestri hasn't written a better finale IMO. And what comes before the finale is pretty great too.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    Unfocused mess? No it's just Jerry's creativity working non stop and giving us too much information for our little brains to handle. Today my brain just went along with all the goofy craziness, resulting in me bobbing along, smiling almost non-stop and feeling all giddy inside. That doesn't happen too much anymore.

It works brilliantly as a film score and suits the film to perfection.

I just think they did a great job making that crazy, all over the place score work as a cohesive listen on it's own away from the picture on the original album.

Definitely going to give it another listen in the next few days though as I was in a distracted mood when I listened to it, which in hindsight is probably the worst way to listen to this score!
  9. Well it's true that the film itself is all over the place too (in a good way). It's a live action cartoon. Jerry mickey moused his way through it. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2015
    I just love Gremlins 2! I had to sell my house to pay for it though due to the American dollar being where it is just now. But it's sooooo worth it! It's a silly, fun but very fine score by Mr. G!

Okay, I paid $48 Australian dollars for it and I'm listening to it in my comfortable house. All good.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    The Spiderwick Chronicles - James Horner

I've always had a soft spot for this perhaps-overlooked Horner score. It contains some of his most aggressive action writing (surprising for a children's film) along with many tender moments. And that glorious flight cue of course, always guaranteed to bring out the best in this composer.
  10. I just listened to that for the first time, recently. I was surprised at how aggressive and cacophonous so much of it was. The flight cue I had heard before, and it is excellent, but so too is the final track.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    christopher wrote
    I just listened to that for the first time, recently. I was surprised at how aggressive and cacophonous so much of it was. The flight cue I had heard before, and it is excellent, but so too is the final track.

Yup. I'm going to watch the movie in a bit to see how it all works there (which I'm sure is brilliantly).
  11. NP: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1981) - Bernie Leadon / The BBC Radiophonic Workshop

I don't think, the music to the series has ever been released on CD. I just edited a one minute suite of two pieces I recorded off my DVDs. I used the main theme (Journey of the Sorcerer) and a tiny snippet of music that plays at the very end of Restaurant following Armstrong's "Beautiful World". It leads to a rather bombast crescendo.

Volker
  12. NP: The Sea Hawk - Previn Conducts Korngold (2002)
    On Deutsche Grammophon.

Suites from "The Sea Hawk", "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex", "Captain Blood" and "The Prince and the Pauper".
    Nothing here that I didn't have already, but man, it's André Previn conduction the London Symphony! It's a terrific album!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: OUTRAGEOUS FORTUNE (Alan Silvestri)

Glorious Synclaviers! Yes, this is a 20-minute bootleg, as it has no commercial release yet.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Sea Hawk - Previn Conducts Korngold (2002)
    On Deutsche Grammophon.

Suites from "The Sea Hawk", "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex", "Captain Blood" and "The Prince and the Pauper".
    Nothing here that I didn't have already, but man, it's André Previn conduction the London Symphony! It's a terrific album!

Volker

Sorry... But this one doesn't work for me. The conducting is atrocious!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  13. You know those moments when a piece of music hits you harder than it ever has and really makes you stop whatever you're doing and bask in its awesomeness? That just happened to me while listening to "All Is Lost" from THE NEW WORLD. What an incredible composition! The build-up that starts at 3:23 is one of my new favorite Horner moments. It starts with just a piano, repeating a simple idea, and adds a cello (I think) with an ascending line, then some higher strings, then more. The melodies and harmonies multiply and grow into something that is just insanely gorgeous, and then it climaxes into a wonderful statement of the "Listen to the Wind" theme. FANTASTIC. I've been impressed by the track before, but somehow I had never recognized how wonderful it was until just now.
  14. yeah "A Dark Cloud is Forever Lifted" is also great IMO.
  15. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    On Deutsche Grammophon.

Volker

-Erik-

Well to each his own. These are concert suites and as such open to interpretation as is every piece of orchestral music. I don't regard the original recording as a template never to divert from. (Which doesn't mean that you do.)
  16. Captain Future wrote
    yeah "A Dark Cloud is Forever Lifted" is also great IMO.

No doubt. And I really like "The New World" (bird chirps notwithstanding) and "An Apparition in the Fields..." (pointless ellipsis notwithstanding). It's just a really good score all the way around - top 10 Horner for me. "All is Lost" is just the track that made the biggest impact lately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    On Deutsche Grammophon.

Volker

-Erik-

Well to each his own. These are concert suites and as such open to interpretation as is every piece of orchestral music. I don't regard the original recording as a template never to divert from. (Which doesn't mean that you do.)

I agree but Previn's conducting on this album is brutal.

-Erik-
  17. NP: Les Maitres Du Temps (1982) - Jean-Pierre Bourtayre

I love this French sci fi animation film, directed by René Lalaux. Jean "Moebius" Giraud provided the visual concept and the script based on the novel by Stefan Wul.
    The electronic score was released on LP in 1982 in France but - as far as I know - was never released on CD. I recorded the end titles track off my DVD.

Volker
  18. SWING KIDS - Horner

I've listened through this three times now. Most of it is fine, but I'm not connecting with more than a couple tracks. "The Letter," and "Swing Heil" are my kind of Horner music. The latter especially is very moving.
  19. Just finished my second spin of Anne Dudley's POLDARK. It was even lovelier than the first. I kind of wish the final track provided a little more closure, but perhaps the first season of the show has no closure. I prefer this score to Wiseman's WOLF HALL, though both are well done. POLDARK is a little more pleasant and has a lot of really gorgeous solo violin.