• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Troy Horner

Good God I love this score. And it was written, in what? 13 days or something?! Incredible! I love the rousing heroic material, the brass writing, the love theme... Just an astounding piece of music.
  2. Amazing to think that just a decade ago, James Horner was considered the solution to a score that was thought too old-fashioned. As much as Yared's music is better, if this were to happen in 2015, Lorne Balfe or Junkie XL would have been the replacement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2015
    To be honest, I don't care that much for TROY -- neither the Horner nor the Yared. But I can see what people see in it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2015 edited
    NP: INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (John Williams)

This, on the other hand, is far better than people give it credit for. Sure, a bit too "whimsical" at times, and doesn't have the clearcut themes of its predecessors, but hey -- it's Williams, which is better than 95% of everything anyway. What's not to like?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's certainly not a bad score, in fact it's a pretty decent score. But if I'm in an Indiana Jones mood, it's the last one I'd choose, so that's why it rarely gets listened to on my part.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    It's certainly not a bad score, in fact it's a pretty decent score. But if I'm in an Indiana Jones mood, it's the last one I'd choose, so that's why it rarely gets listened to on my part.

True, but I've listened to the others so many times over the years and know them by heart, and I really want to get to that level with this one too -- so I tend to play this more these days.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2015 edited
    NP: INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS (John Williams/Peter McConnell/Clint Bajakian/Michael Land)

A rerecording from a few years back, done by some guy named Rich Douglas with High End sample libraries. It's neat to have, but the music isn't terribly good (even if the game is close to my nostalgic heart). Probably why I haven't played it in years, and probably won't play it much in the future.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2015
    NP: MR. HOLMES (Carter Burwell)

You always think of Burwell as a 'quirky'-style composer, perhaps due to his collaboration with the Coens, but he's capable of so much more (ROB ROY, anyone?), and this classical, chamber orchestra score is another example thereof. Rather gloomy, but loads of class.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FANTASTIC FOUR

Pencils by 'Fizzling' Philip Glass

Inks by 'Mercury' Marco Beltrami

Coloring by Pete 'The Beat' Anthony

Liking this one A LOT!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's certainly the best Fantastic Four score ever written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Who decided these collaborations? I cannot imagine Glass calling Beltrami asking for some team work on a score. Is there an artistic reason, or excuse, from the director? Or did the casting person also work in the music department and decided that both these composers would be great together?

Anyway, it's the first super hero score in a long time I'm slightly interested in. But I read that Ant Man is also good.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Liking this one A LOT!!!

Does it have...a theme?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2015 edited
    Sort of but it will not be your shower's theme tune tomorrow morning. I don't find it so interesting. A good start but then it gets a bit boring and I lost interest.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Good. Thanks. Pass.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    it will not be your shower's theme tune tomorrow morning.

It will not be WHAT now? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn, you should listen to the first and last track and decide whether it will be your shower's theme tune tomorrow morning!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah... no.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's on spotify so easy enough to make up your own mind.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    PAYCHECK | john powell

Recently I received a paycheck which reminded me of this score. 20 items must be one of the most awesome tracks John Powell wrote.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    It's on spotify

I'm not. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Odd. It contains most of Philip Glass' albums, and all compilations that use his tracks, and rerecordings. I think you may find a many good music on there.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Go away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Liking this one A LOT!!!

Does it have...a theme?

Yes, but it's not a Theme™ like Beck's Ant-Man. It's quite a serious score for a Marvel film, the action is typically brilliant from Beltrami, with a twinge of sci-fi. I like this one a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2015 edited
    The Living Daylights (John Barry, songs by A-Ha & The Pretenders)

Melodies and brilliance from the first second to the last, my goodness... No wonder I hardly listen to anything new anymore, when there's such greatness within my grasp. This must rank as one of my most-loved Barry scores. The action music is excellent, the themes are timeless, and the underscore is classic Barry. It's all of the highest quality.

DWW is the other Barry score that gets equal praise by me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Excuse me, but "DWW"? confused
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Dancing With Wolverine
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote

Melodies and brilliance from the first second to the last, my goodness... No wonder I hardly listen to anything new anymore, when there's such greatness within my grasp. This must rank as one of my most-loved Barry scores. The action music is excellent, the themes are timeless, and the underscore is classic Barry. It's all of the highest quality.

In retrospect I think Barry bowed out of Bond at the right time on an all time high.
  4. Steven wrote
    Dancing With Wolverine

Down With Wankers
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

In retrospect I think Barry bowed out of Bond at the right time on an all time high.

He really did. I know you prefer OHMSS, and it's really good but it's a score I will never favor over this one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There isn't too much between them and TLD did make my top 50 all time favourite score albums.