• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2015
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    It's on spotify

I'm not. smile

Here's a taster off YT.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Off YT?
    Well, as far as super hero score go I still prefer S. Or indeed B.
    And Marco Beltrami has done much better thematic work with HB and IR, not to mention T3.
    Anyway G2G, CYL & TTFN.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WHITE SQUALL (Jeff Rona)

Too bad Rona's film music career never took off, because this is excellent stuff (love the film too, btw, a rather overlooked Ridley Scott gem).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Used to be that I really loved that score, but it's grown cold a bit. Not sure why. It just doesn't speak to me as much as it used to. Maybe if I let it lie a few years again.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've had the opposite reaction. Was rather indifferent at first, but now I feel like I see and hear it in all its glory! The ethnic elements, the solo writing for saxophone/trumpet, the Vangelis-like textures. Bliss!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Too bad Rona's film music career never took off, because this is excellent stuff (love the film too, btw, a rather overlooked Ridley Scott gem).

A good film but I can't remember the score at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

A good film but I can't remember the score at all.

You should check it out on Spotify or something. Knowing your taste a bit, I think you'd like it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Considering your description you could be right.
  1. Thor wrote

My last listen of White Squall made me realize that there's more to it than just the gorgeous theme for 'Power of the Wind'. It's as far removed from the Zimmer sound as possible (for a man who was part of the family).

I need to see the film again... I loved it back in the day.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2015
    NP : THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. - Daniel Pemberton

This is the years coolest release. I need to smoke me some shit, ya dig? cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Fantastic Four - Philip Glass & Marco Beltrami

I'm really, REALLY impressed with this!
    Two great superhero scores within a month! Didn't think it possible!
  2. NP: Ant-Man (2015) - Christophe Beck
    On Spotify

This is indeed a mighty fine action score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: ENTRAPMENT - Christopher Young

Decent action score but I really love the softer moments in this, especially the touching and rather sultry "love" theme.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: AN UNFINISHED LIFE - CHRISTOPHER YOUNG

Young is the order of the day, it seems.

Absolutely love this one. Young may be better known for his horror and action but he can do the "beautiful" just as well - and this sadly rejected score showcases that brilliantly. Gentle and pastoral. Absolutely gorgeous. One of his absolute best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote

It's brilliant! Ant-Man is more fun, but this is certainly the more epic one. They're both as enjoyable as each other, in their own rights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Neither of them have impressed me much, I'm afraid. I was hoping for more Glass in FF, but it was surprisingly mainstream.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    I disagree.

How dare you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    I disagree.

I agree.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2015
    I'm in-between.

That makes me sitting on a wobbly fence.
  3. I think Ant-Man is a very solid action score. It's nothing I would buy on CD nowadays though because I have enough of such scores already. This is a typical case when I'm glad there is Spotify.

Volker
  4. Atham wrote

I didn't like it one bit, average at best but nothing that stands out (not even the main theme)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Captain Future wrote
    I think Ant-Man is a very solid action score. It's nothing I would buy on CD nowadays though because I have enough of such scores already. This is a typical case when I'm glad there is Spotify.

Really? Your shelf is overflowing with modern-action-cum-60s-spy-music hybrids?
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I think Ant-Man is a very solid action score. It's nothing I would buy on CD nowadays though because I have enough of such scores already. This is a typical case when I'm glad there is Spotify.

Really? Your shelf is overflowing with modern-action-cum-60s-spy-music hybrids?

Few CDs still stand on their shelf for decoration's sake. Most are stored in boxes. I do have my share of modern action scores, yes. And the iconic 60's (and later) spy themes I have on some compilations. That's all I need. My film music collection is approaching the 1000 mark and I have a feeling, I don't want to get it very much bigger. I'll concentrate on science fiction scores as I did when I started out collecting.
  7. NP: Babylon 5: Messages From Earth - Christopher Franke

There were those expanded / dedicated releases (CHRYSALIS e.g.) some time back. I see, you get get them for a bargain now. Does anyone have those? Are they worth it?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Babylon 5: Messages From Earth - Christopher Franke

There were those expanded / dedicated releases (CHRYSALIS e.g.) some time back. I see, you get get them for a bargain now. Does anyone have those? Are they worth it?

Volker

You mean all the million of individual B5 releases that came out? I never bothered with those. The Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 were enough for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2015 edited
    NP: AMERIKA (Basil Poledouris)

The music is fine (despite some crummy-sounding brass samples), but struggles with poor presentation. This would have made a great, succinct 40-minute release. Certainly doesn't sound like a merry film -- it's basically dirge upon dirge.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Babylon 5: Messages From Earth - Christopher Franke

Volker

You mean all the million of individual B5 releases that came out? I never bothered with those. The Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 were enough for me.

Same here. Franke released them on his own label. There was not much of a resonance in contrast to the applause those Star Trek box sets got. (And I never bought one of those either.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2015 edited
    NP: THE WHITE MASAI - NIKI REISER

Been a while since I gave this score a spin. I love African instrumentation but I love how much more raw this sounds than the usual 'African' score, even with the typical Western orchestral backing.