• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2015
    Spellbound - Miklos Rozsa

I remember studying this score in film scoring class many, many years ago. It's still wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2015 edited
    NP: Spacecamp - John Williams

A glorious, thematic, grand, heroic, warm adventure score! It's faaaaar from being a paint-by-numbers score that a few around here claim it to be! This is spectacular film music!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Josh B wrote
    Spellbound - Miklos Rozsa

I remember studying this score in film scoring class many, many years ago. It's still wonderful.

A score that got Jerry Goldsmith interested into being a film composer.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Spacecamp - John Williams

A glorious, thematic, grand, heroic, warm adventure score! It's faaaaar from being a paint-by-numbers score that a few around here claim it to be! This is spectacular film music!

-Erik-

It certainly has Williams' magical touch. Amazing what he did for this pretty small and ridiculous movie - he gave it a heart.
  2. Raiders of the lost ark Williams

Sometimes I forget just how good this is, haven't listened to it in far too long.
  3. NP: Under Siege 2 - Dark Territory - Basil Poledouris

It's amazing how effective Basil could be with the smallest of efforts. Certainly, this abysmal movie didn't deserve any kind of attention to scoring at all, but as it's often the case, composers seem to like the challenge. Since I never saw the first movie (and know the second one only because of an annoying turn of events at a sneak preview), I can only assume that Basil even recycled his original theme for this, but what he did with it is an exercise in how to provide an engaging action score with only one tiny, little main theme and the abilty to drive a whole train of terrorists and... cooks... with it, ever forward. While a lot of the stuff from the beginning is forgettable, there are great action highlights later on which will only grab you if you sit through the earlier material.

Poledouris composed enough fantastic, great scores that it's easy to overlook his smaller efforts, but unlike those of many modern composers, even his smaller ones are worth your time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh, I definitely agree with your last paragraph. After doing the Basil Poledouris episode of Celluloid Tunes recently, I've been binging a bit on BP, and there are plenty of gems -- both big and small. At the same time, there are several of his action or thriller scores that meander a bit; it's like the chords basically swirl around the same key throughout the whole piece. I'm afraid UNDER SIEGE 2 belongs to that style for me, as does ROBOCOP, IRON EAGLE, HOT SHOTS 2 and others.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Apropos of what you two gentlemen are discussing, I just made the acquaintance of Starship Troopers for the first time (!).

KICK. ASS. shocked punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love it too. 90s bombastic stuff I can like!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Man from UNCLE - Daniel Pemberton

Really rather brilliant. I'm going to listen to this a LOT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I love it too. 90s bombastic stuff I can like!

There's that word again...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Thor wrote
    Oh, I definitely agree with your last paragraph. After doing the Basil Poledouris episode of Celluloid Tunes recently, I've been binging a bit on BP, and there are plenty of gems -- both big and small. At the same time, there are several of his action or thriller scores that meander a bit; it's like the chords basically swirl around the same key throughout the whole piece. I'm afraid UNDER SIEGE 2 belongs to that style for me

Yeah, it does, but some of its action tracks are pretty engaging anyway.

as does ROBOCOP

Nope. dizzy RoboCop is miles ahead of Under Siege 2.

IRON EAGLE, HOT SHOTS 2 and others.

I have HS2, but it doesn't do anything for me. IE I simply don't know.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Apropos of what you two gentlemen are discussing, I just made the acquaintance of Starship Troopers for the first time (!).

KICK. ASS. shocked punk

I know many people will disagree, but I always try to enjoy it more than I effectively do. It has a great theme and style, unquestionably, but something is missing. That said, this one, too, is ahead of Under Siege 2. But RoboCop's better, both the score and the movie.

NP: Searching for Bobby Fisher - James Horner
    It's been decades since I've listened to this one, Geez. I imagine this is what people call Horner in stand-by mode, and I agree. Doesn't change the fact that Horner's stand-by mode was in many ways superior to what many other guys produce on their best days.
  5. I understand what you mean about Starship Troopers, it is a transparent score in many regards, but in this case the sheer volume and attitude of it is enough to overcome the lack of depth for me. The brevity of the album is certainly a hindrance as well. I understand there's an, ah, expansion out there, and I have no doubt it presents the score in an even better light - although I imagine there are some folks here who would disagree with that.

Still, Starship Troopers is in a whole 'nother league compared to the perfunctory On Deadly Ground, which I also gave a first listen yesterday. That Aliens-like finale to "Tango Urilla"...oh man! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I understand what you mean about Starship Troopers, it is a transparent score in many regards, but in this case the sheer volume and attitude of it is enough to overcome the lack of depth for me. The brevity of the album is certainly a hindrance as well. I understand there's an, ah, expansion out there, and I have no doubt it presents the score in an even better light - although I imagine there are some folks here who would disagree with that.

The expansion is disastrous, the original release is superb -- perfectly tailored to the type of music it is. They are basically worlds apart.

As for ROBOCOP, I love the film (a rightful classic of its genre, especially with all the extra layers of satire), but never liked the score outside the main theme. It's rather grating, IMO, with a few exceptions (like "Rock Shop").
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I understand what you mean about Starship Troopers, it is a transparent score in many regards, but in this case the sheer volume and attitude of it is enough to overcome the lack of depth for me. The brevity of the album is certainly a hindrance as well.

It's not. Too much of the same good is still too much. Yeah, the attitude rocks, but at some point it really repeats itself and doesn't get better, just... more.

Thor wrote
    As for ROBOCOP, I love the film (a rightful classic of its genre, especially with all the extra layers of satire), but never liked the score outside the main theme. It's rather grating, IMO, with a few exceptions (like "Rock Shop").

Well, grating is not what I'd ever have in mind to describe this score. I always imagine it as an alternative - and superior - score for The Terminator (I love the Terminator theme and style, but Fiedel's action music is horrible).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Certainly superior to Fiedel's TERMINATORs as a listening experience, but it's like choosing between senewy meat and rotten eggs -- the first is better than the latter, but I'd rather not have any of them.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    It's been decades since I've listened to this one, Geez. I imagine this is what people call Horner in stand-by mode, and I agree. Doesn't change the fact that Horner's stand-by mode was in many ways superior to what many other guys produce on their best days.

This score is most definitely NOT Horner is "stand by mode." This is him in utterly brilliant, top of his game mode!

-Erik-
  6. NP: Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (Joe Kraemer)

This is really good, actually. The way he's handled the Schifrin legacy is impressive. The score benefits from the lighter, allegro texture relative to Giacchino and Zimmer's more bombastic approach. (Which makes this also the closest to Elfman's as well.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. NP: Fantastic Journey (1990) - various composers

Of the many fine albums Erich Kunzel did, this one - I think - is my favourite.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Skyfall - Thomas Newman

It's been too long since I listened to this. So damn good. Really looking forward to the next one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

This score is most definitely NOT Horner is "stand by mode." This is him in utterly brilliant, top of his game mode!
    -Erik-

To me, it feels like a comparatively "bland" exercise from him, compared to what he is capable of. Almost every compositional aspect of this score has been heard elsewhere in much better and more engaging variations, both before and after. I hear fragments of Sneakers, Field of Dreams, and Deep Impact in this, but none of them reaching the level of complexity or emotional grip those scores offer. One could say that it's fantastic to have so many different aspects in one score, but personally, it doesn't impress me, especially given how many other low budget, "small" movies like this turned out when Horner wrote for them.

That said, it is still Horner, and therefore not a miss by far. I'm just saying it's not as engaging as the multitude of his other scores, but still worth a fortune compared to what other guys dare to deliver for their money.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2015
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (Joe Kraemer)

This is really good, actually. The way he's handled the Schifrin legacy is impressive. The score benefits from the lighter, allegro texture relative to Giacchino and Zimmer's more bombastic approach. (Which makes this also the closest to Elfman's as well.)

It's a terrific score! And a nice recording too.

What's with all this recent spate of good old fashioned, fully orchestral scores?!
    It's been a good year for music thus far!
  8. NP: War of the Worlds - John Williams

I'm still not too fond of Williams' more chaotic scoring, but I've always liked a couple of great moments from this one, and I find it even more interesting with each listening. Structures I didn't notice before step out of their shadows, and the stuff I always liked now really soars.

It's the same with the movie. I always thought it was okay (with some brillaint scenes inbetween), but with every rewatch it digs itself deeper and deeper into the mind. Truly disturbing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Southall wrote
    Skyfall - Thomas Newman

It's been too long since I listened to this. So damn good. Really looking forward to the next one.

Me too! I gave this a spin a recently and although it certainly divided people, I'm still impressed by it - not least because Newman is last person I ever thought would do a Bond film. Great to hear him using this much brass!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    NP: War of the Worlds - John Williams

I'm still not too fond of Williams' more chaotic scoring, but I've always liked a couple of great moments from this one, and I find it even more interesting with each listening. Structures I didn't notice before step out of their shadows, and the stuff I always liked now really soars.

It's the same with the movie. I always thought it was okay (with some brillaint scenes inbetween), but with every rewatch it digs itself deeper and deeper into the mind. Truly disturbing.

Great score, incredibly underrated film!
    I am extremely serious.
  9. NP: Trailer Music 2 - Kerry Muzzey

Trailer music albums tend to wear me down after a while. Despite the great stuff they often feature, an hour of one epic ear attack after another is simply too much.

This one is a bit different, since we're getting stuff for many different kinds of genre. It also includes some tracks which made the composer "rich and famous", as they say, "Bernini's Angels" being one of them. I swear I've never seen a single episode of Dancing with the Stars, but I hear Muzzey is very successful with adapting his tracks for that show, and having provided lots of smaller and independent films with some nice music.

If you want a sample of what he's capable of, this is it. It does nothing special for me, though. Some tracks make me look at their title, but most of it flows just by while I'm working... so at least it makes for nice background music. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2015 edited
    NP: Game of Thrones - Season 5 - Ramin Djawadi

As usual, this won't make you love his stuff if you didn't love it before, but fans will get more of what they like. The highlights are to be found - as always - among the Daenerys/Dragon stuff (Dance of Dragons is, combined with the amazing visuals of that scene, breathtaking) and, again, the Lannister scenes which use 2nd season's Rains of Castamere as a basis, especially Atonement, a scene which earned Lena Headey the Emmy nomination she deserved for a very long time. But there is also some mesmerizing new stuff like House of Black and White, which perfectly bathes the scenes within the Temple of Death in shrouded and somewhat creepy mystery.

Again, solid work from Djawadi, who keeps the general musical identity of the series intact even with so many different settings and stories to tell, while somehow managing to provide the main themes with new and exciting versions each year.
  10. NP: The Terminator (1984) - Brad Fiedel

The theme is as iconic as any sifi film music theme. But you cant say this album (Definitive Edition) is an altogether pleasant listening experience, can you?

robot Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2015 edited
    Nope.
    It's one of those rare examples of a truly excellent and completely fitting score that is utterly unlistenable away from the film.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  11. I does foreshadow those Trent Reznor kind of scores.