• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2015
    Thanks guys! I'll definitely be checking out some Adams and Lutosławski. beer
  1. Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    It's extremely mediocre (as it were).

If only.

Oh shut up and go listen to Pain and Gain for the millionth time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    It's extremely mediocre (as it were).

If only.

Oh shut up and go listen to Pain and Gain for the millionth time.

NOW we're talkin'!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're both idiots.
  2. I hear there's a sequel score, "Pain and More Pain".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. NP: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) - Howard Shore
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) - Howard Shore

I had no idea you were into sadomasochism.
  4. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I am full of surprises. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Maleficent James Newton Howard

One of his best. I've gone from liking it a lot to loving it. Not sure why it took me so long.
  5. Steven wrote

One of his best. I've gone from liking it a lot to loving it. Not sure why it took me so long.

On this we agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Me too. A little long overall and a bit too bombastic at times, but you knew I would say that. For the most part, it's a great score; one of last year's best, in fact.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You need to find a new word, for the love of fuck.

Avengers: Age of Ultron Danny Elfman

I can do without Tyler's music, it's quite bland. But Elfman's music is very enjoyable, his theme has been stuck in my head for days. Not sure what the general consensus is on this one, but... I love Elfman's 'contributions'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Avengers - Silvestri

It's a bit dull at times but very strong at others. Surprising how subtle it is in places. I love the Black Widow theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2015 edited
    Is it bombastic? biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes!
  6. FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD - Craig Armstrong

I'm only a few tracks into my first listen, but from what I've read and what I've heard so far I'm expecting this to be one of my favorite scores of the year.
  7. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I always thought you were relatively neutral on the Hobbit scores? Since when did you defect to the Erik-James-Thor camp? sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2015
    No defecting. I remember mildly enjoying the third one (in its truncated form) when it came out, but I've never returned to it. They're all just so dull and, as one of the cues even suggests, murky. Why listen to these when you can listen to Lord of the Rings?
  8. NP: The Hobbit: The Desol ... whatever (2013) - Howard Shore

Of all of Shore's six Middle Earth scores this the only one I rate with four rather than five stars.
  9. Steven wrote

Now playing. Very very good indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2015
    Captain America - Alan Silvestri

That's right. Great stuff.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2015
    Terminator: Salvation - Danny Elfman

Damn, this is so much better than I remembered. Probably one of his best ever action scores.
  10. FROM EARTH TO MARS - Arturo Rodriguez

This is a new release from MSM. I must admit that the first time I listened to it I wasn't really paying attention and it sort of passed me by for a while. About halfway through it I realized that what I was hearing was reminding me of John Williams. I finished out the rest of the album and enjoyed the rest of it quite a bit. That last track, "El Rostro de la Luna" is a 17 minute piece that is really quite good. It's quiet and slow to build and develop, but it does develop and reminded me more than a little of something James Horner would have written in the 80s. I have started it over now and am on my second listen. Anyone who appreciates sci-fi from Goldsmith, Williams, or Horner (is that not all of us?) should probably give this a listen. It doesn't start with a bang, but give it a chance and you might find something here that you like. It may just make you want to go listen to all the great scores it reminds you of, but it was kind of a lovely experience to brought back to a sound that we don't get very often anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2015 edited
    christopher wrote
    FROM EARTH TO MARS - Arturo Rodriguez

This is a new release from MSM. I must admit that the first time I listened to it I wasn't really paying attention and it sort of passed me by for a while. About halfway through it I realized that what I was hearing was reminding me of John Williams. I finished out the rest of the album and enjoyed the rest of it quite a bit. That last track, "El Rostro de la Luna" is a 17 minute piece that is really quite good. It's quiet and slow to build and develop, but it does develop and reminded me more than a little of something James Horner would have written in the 80s. I have started it over now and am on my second listen. Anyone who appreciates sci-fi from Goldsmith, Williams, or Horner (is that not all of us?) should probably give this a listen. It doesn't start with a bang, but give it a chance and you might find something here that you like. It may just make you want to go listen to all the great scores it reminds you of, but it was kind of a lovely experience to brought back to a sound that we don't get very often anymore.

I gave this a couple of chances, but I'm afraid it didn't do anything for me. The thematic material is lacklustre and the performance is quite shoddy with lots of errors. For such an exciting project, and based on the 'buzz' I had heard, I had expected something more. But that's me.

By the way, I don't think this is a soundtrack, but a concert piece of some sort?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2015
    christopher wrote
    FROM EARTH TO MARS - Arturo Rodriguez

Bloody good stuff this one. I love it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2015 edited
    Superman John Williams

Despite Zack Snyder's overly portentous (and pretentious) tone, one that I admittedly enjoyed at first but have since come to despise, I think Williams' score would have improved this latest attempt at Superman. It's that definitive a score. This is the music of Superman.

Yes, Zimmer was only responding to Snyder's vision of a darker, Jesus-in-Lycra Man O' Steel. But his vision is shit, and so is the score. It badly needed some class, and Williams' music has it coming out of its sides.

I wonder what the second greatest superhero score might be? My vote would be for Unbreakable. (If the rules permit me to count it as such.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Superman John Williams

I wonder what the second greatest superhero score might be? My vote would be for Unbreakable. (If the rules permit me to count it as such.)

I'm not sure? First off there is no doubt that Williams SUPERMAN stands a giants head and shoulders above every other superhero score written, for me those far off second places could be contended by David Newman's THE PHANTOM, Powell's X3: THE LAST STAND and yes, I'd count UNBREAKABLE.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. Beneath the 12 mile reef Herrmann

Stunning Herrmann score, so glad to finally have this, not a dull moment!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like MAN OF STEEL, actually (including the score) -- especially if you like Snyder's "project" as a filmmaker. But of course, it's hard to compete with the film and score that really ushered in the era of superhero movies (I would argue that previous superhero movies were 99% nonsense; Donner's film actually attempted something more serious).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm very happy to keep 3 of Zimmer's score tracks, the rest of it would be okay for background rhythms while working out but I'd not listen to it for enjoyment.

Why Snyder made the film in black & white? A bad move. The rest of it is extremely tedious with the most long winded ( oh fer christ sake just get the fuck on with it ) super-fight climax ever seen.

The film, in short, is RUBBISH!