• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Bah. Give me ALL the bombast overkill. punk

Like I said, the score does have its moments. I'd rather have a score that's tuneful and cheap-sounding (hi, most pre-Batman Begins Media Ventures scores!) than one with multi-million-dollar production values and dull/short/no themes (hi, most post-Batman Begins Remote Control scores!). And I was overreacting a bit to the theme...I don't much like it, but you can't fault it in the memorability department. There's more to a good theme than being memorable, though - I think that's something which is forgotten all too often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2015
    Mr Holmes - Carter Burwell

It's good to hear Burwell's distinctive voice again. This is really good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lars wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    (and Debney's own additional music for this one, for that matter - it's no surprise he was brought in).

... in comparison to the "main themes" from the other movies it sticks in your head...

For the wrong reasons. The themes from the previous films are memorable for the right reasons. (But at least the third film got the score it deserved.)
  2. Thor wrote
    Your taste seems to make you miss out on some great experiences, but since you don't care for them anyway, I guess it doesn't really hurt you.

Question is: Is "missing out on great experiences" a thing? I mean, I have friends who absolutely ADORE beach life -- just lying there and bathing in the sun, sometimes taking a dip in the sea. That's never been me. I can do that for a limited time, but then I get too restless and need to move around. Plus I don't like the notion of sand everywhere.

Aha. I can see why you connected with this characterisation:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi5jjXTPtyY
    wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha, ha....yeah -- that Anakin, smart fellow.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Sand leads to the Dark Side.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Slipstream - Elmer Bernstein

Yes, friends.
  4. NP: Conan The Barbarian - Basil Poledouris

This is the Naxos recording where Poledouris' score has been transcribed for organ. An interesting idea which I think actually works quite well. I am enjoying hearing the familiar being re-interpreted in quite a different way.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2015
    ...wut? shocked

Why did I not know about this?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. NP: Angel Heart - Trevor Jones

I'm not a fan of soundtrack albums which include dialogue from the movie, but in this case (as with its twin, Mississippi Burning) it makes for a great listening experience, like a souvenir, a mini version of the movie. As much as I would like to have the tracks in their pure form, I can accept the presentation, just because it's masterfully done.
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Conan The Barbarian - Basil Poledouris

This is the Naxos recording where Poledouris' score has been transcribed for organ. An interesting idea which I think actually works quite well. I am enjoying hearing the familiar being re-interpreted in quite a different way.

Yeah, I've really been enjoying this, apart from a few moments where it feels like the soundtrack to 'Garth Marenghi's Darkplace' it works remarkably well. The number of CDs I have containing Conan music is reaching ludicrous levels but I'll keep buying as many versions of this fantastic music as people release.
  7. NP: Warehouse 13 - Season 2 - Edward Rogers

I don't know; as simple as this stuff is structured, there were some really nice tracks on the Season 1 score, and I was hoping for more. The Christmas version of the main title is funny, and here and there I got a glimpse of an highlight, but somehow this thing went by largely unnoticed.
  8. NP: Red Heat - James Horner

Pure genius. Schwarzenegger's and Belushi's musical identities collide with each other in the early tracks, only to play along better and get into a gripping team of thematic bits combined to a great action score.

Äh... did that make any sense to you at all? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FREE WILLY (Basil Poledouris)

Unashamed lyricism. Dig both the orchestral and more electronically-driven tracks.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. NP: Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - Marco Beltrami & Buck Sanders

I still don't get Beltrami and what he's doing. I've yet to find a single score of him I like. My search will continue, but I'm beginning to think he's just not for me. His abilities as a composer I don't dispute, but this guy must have a personal pure-hate-relationship to themes. Actual themes that aren't just ideas and bits to drive his droning horror-action mishmash forward.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have the exact opposite experience. I've rarely heard a Beltrami score I did NOT like. Even the horror stuff I like, and I usually hate listening to horror film music (there's something about his elegant, romantic "delicious darkness" that I find appealing).

That being said, I found FANTASTIC FOUR largely disappointing.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I find nothing about his scores elegant.

And I choose to decide that the good in Fantastic Four is all Glass's work. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't imagine Glass had much input, mostly hired to sell more albums. The meat of the score is Beltrami's, and it's bloody excellent.

Anyway. Check out Soul Surfer if you don't think Beltrami can write elegant themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, Beltrami can write some superb themes, no doubt about that (SOUL SURFER is fantastic!), but themes aren't everything in this world. I find that he's often able to weave these extremely elegant textures that "breathe" wonderfully, a sort of ebb and flow that's just captivating -- even evident in horror scores like SCREAM and MIMIC.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. NP: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - Klaus Badelt

Whatever swashbuckling score in the fashion of Korngold, Alwyn or Debney Alan Silvestri might have crafted - this is fun!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  12. Thor wrote
    Yes, Beltrami can write some superb themes, no doubt about that (SOUL SURFER is fantastic!), but themes aren't everything in this world. I find that he's often able to weave these extremely elegant textures that "breathe" wonderfully, a sort of ebb and flow that's just captivating -- even evident in horror scores like SCREAM and MIMIC.

Themes provide structure and identity to a score. Textures are important and can be fun when they are great. That's what I meant about his abilities. He knows how to provide textures and amazing orchestral fabrics. But I need something to grab and hold.

Steven wrote
    I don't imagine Glass had much input, mostly hired to sell more albums. The meat of the score is Beltrami's, and it's bloody excellent.

If that's the case, it actually IS his first score I like. dizzy

Anyway. Check out Soul Surfer if you don't think Beltrami can write elegant themes.

I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.
  13. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    NP: Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - Marco Beltrami & Buck Sanders

I still don't get Beltrami and what he's doing. I've yet to find a single score of him I like. My search will continue, but I'm beginning to think he's just not for me. His abilities as a composer I don't dispute, but this guy must have a personal pure-hate-relationship to themes. Actual themes that aren't just ideas and bits to drive his droning horror-action mishmash forward.

But there's a big ol' Gothic horror theme right in the opening cue of Don't Be Afraid of the Dark! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I am listening to The Four Feathers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thor wrote

Themes provide structure and identity to a score. Textures are important and can be fun when they are great. That's what I meant about his abilities. He knows how to provide textures and amazing orchestral fabrics. But I need something to grab and hold.

Like all the delicious themes in Hellboy!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2015 edited
    I love Beltrami. Admittedly he's not the sort of composer that would sell out seats at a concert, but despite that he's one of the best composers working today. His action writing is miraculous as far as I'm concerned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2015
    Steven wrote
    His action writing is miraculous as far as I'm concerned.

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Like all the delicious themes in Hellboy!

-Erik-

I don't give a fig about the "excuses" at the time I still don't get why Beltrami wasn't back for Hellboy 2.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2015 edited
    Yesterday I spent time enjoying some of the beautiful scores from James Horner for his Birthday. Got teary again but it was good.
    My thoughts were with his family and friends and all of us who connected with his musical voice and soul.

Today I chose to focus on recent releases by various composers. I've been loving all of them.
    Example: Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (Killer Kraemer delivering old school excitement in spades!)
    Ant-Man (Beck at his best! Fun stuff!)
    Fantastic 4 (I don't get why some don't get this one? Beltrami with Glass succeed for me!)
    The Trouble With Angels (This deluxe edition is very nice. I've always had a soft spot for this
    Goldsmith classic. Just a shame the original tapes were in mono. Some beautifully tender moments
    to be found amid the more lightweight stuff. Love the new mix of the album!)
    Next onto Gremlins 2 for the pure fun of it all.

Sure got plenty to listen to on the plane trip to Europe next week!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Steven wrote
    I love Beltrami. Admittedly he's not the sort of composer that would sell out seats at a concert, but despite that he's one of the best composers working today. His action writing is miraculous as far as I'm concerned.

Beltrami's action music can be breathlessly exciting. He takes the best aspects of Goldsmith's action writing (the shifting time signatures, especially) and makes them his own.

That said, I'm currently listening to The Fantastic Four and I immediately zoned out once the RC chugging ostinati started. Maybe it'll get better later.
  14. The only action cues in Fantastic Four that are up to Beltrami's usual standard are "Run" and "Strength in Numbers", seven minutes between them on a 66-minute album. Take those two and the first and last cues and you pretty much have all you need to hear from that score, IMO.